Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Hit and Run in NC.....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 05:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Man......I hate to keep posting stuff like this but it’s important stuff. I’m not sure what’s going on here locally in NC but it needs to stop right now. A cyclist in his 30s whom lived not too far from me was in a hit and run yesterday while riding solo.

His Garmin was programmed for Incident Detection and his wife was immediately alerted to his crash. The crash was close to his house so she arrived on the scene just before the first responders. She is also a cyclist.

Police have pictures of a doorbell camera very near the scene that has provided a picture of a potential vehicle.

Here is a message his wife posted on FB:

It's about 4'o'clock in the morning. I haven't slept, haven't ate, and I'm chugging energy drinks. Josh is finally resting/dozing. He's in a neck brace and just now been given a back brace, food, and pain meds after about 9 hours in the ER. We are still waiting on the neurosurgeon to come and discuss the scans and x-rays and tell us what this will mean for his recovery.
I am absolutely sick that a person could hit another human being and LEAVE THEM LYING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!
I know many people do not have patience for road bikers. I've seen the posts, people saying truly horrible things.
The thing is, we all do different things, have different hobbies and likes/dislikes. There are many things that others do that I may not see the purpose of. But that's part of what makes the world go 'round. Differences.
But to deliberately swerve AT a cyclist, to "buzz" them, to hit another human being with your car and leave them on the side of the road and flee, that is unforgivable. That cyclist that you curse and swerve at is MY HUSBAND.
I have always prayed that God surround my family and friends with a hedge of protection. And God hears you and keeps his promises. I am sitting here in the ER of the hospital, praying and praising God that my husband will recover, because many do not. I'm also praying for the person who felt it necessary to flee after hitting my husband. Maybe it wasn't malicious, maybe they didn't mean to hit him, I don't know their story. Nevertheless, they hit my husband and Did. Not. Stop. I cannot help but to pray for such an individual, who will have to live with their choice. The deliberate choice to leave my unconscious, precious husband on the side of the road, like trash.
I am also eternally grateful for his Garmin LiveTrack. If anyone is a runner or cyclist, this feature is worth every penny and more that you pay. I received the alert instantly on impact and was actually able to beat the paramedics and fire department to my husband. I will ALWAYS use Garmin with LiveTrack, because it did it's job when we needed it most.
I hope that everyone will continue to pray for Josh in the coming weeks, as his road to recovery will not be easy. We are so very grateful to our family and to everyone who has been here with us, helped us with my babies at home, and reached out to us. He truly is so very loved! ❤️

What’s left of Josh’s bike.
Old 01-20-20, 05:43 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Sad to see this. Hope he makes a full recovery.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 01-20-20, 07:38 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Wow It looks to be a pretty populated area so hopefully someone will come forward or security camera caught something.
Old 01-20-20, 07:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from 50+ to A&S.
Old 01-21-20, 05:33 AM
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Wow, very sad. Get well soon.
Old 01-21-20, 07:46 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
They've made an arrest. 24 year old woman with revoked license in a full-sized pickup. Video shows that she basically drove right through Josh without moving over or reducing speed. Absolutely criminal.

https://myfox8.com/2020/01/20/woman-...-troopers-say/
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-21-20, 01:25 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm very sorry you and your husband have to suffer through this. Perhaps in addition to the pain and suffering of the hit and run itself, it is also distressing that the motorist is not a psychopath or sociopath we read about in a magazine article or a movie, but likely an ordinary person who lives in your town. In reading the news these days it feels as of we are surrounded by such people and this may not be too far from the truth.

I have posted several times about sociopathy based on what I've learned from reading several books by psychologists on the incidence of this condition. Those people have found that about 3% of the population have this condition and a principal characteristic is lack of empathy which explains how the driver could just drive off. There are numerous You Tube videos about sociopathy but I would recommend a book by Martha Stout, "The Sociopath Next Door" a psychologist formerly teaching at Harvard, now a clinical psychologist with her own shingle. Her book has details about sociopathy, the why and how such people behave as they do and the consequences. As we can see, a consequence is that they don't care about you. I believe it has some survival value to have and understanding of sociopathy.
Old 01-21-20, 03:57 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I'm not sure there has ever been more than three or four female sociopaths in human history. The term is badly overused. Did you know BTW that a sociopath is a purely American phenomenon? I didn't make that up. The chances that that young woman is a sociopath is infinitesimal. Some may want to argue with that. Can you argue with this: that POS truck she was driving should never be allowed on a public road. In just the last couple of months I have overheard conversations and been involved in conversations with people I know well who admitted to the fact that their cars prevented them from hitting people that they did not even see! That's right. Cars that you can buy right now. Ordinary people, not making much more than $50K/yr. can own vehicles that have the ability to detect peds and cyclists in the vehicle's path and protect them from collision. I would MUCH rather that a driver not hit me at all than that they hit me and stand around wringing their hands while onlookers shoot them dirty looks while First Responders work on my badly broken body.

Are we just going to keep moaning and groaning about psychopathic drivers or distracted drivers or elderly drivers or whatever, or are we going to make monster size trucks that can flatten a human being without the driver even noticing ILLEGAL. Are we going to mandate that everyone who drives (yes that means you) drive a modern vehicle new enough to have driver assist features? If not, fine, but lets not turn up the faux outrage only when someone gets hit. It's going to get much worse before it gets better. Again, as I understand it, fatal cyclist and pedestrian incidents were increasing at an average 18%/yr. until most large cities adopted "Vision Zero" programs. Now fatal pedestrian and cyclist incidents have been increasing 30%/yr!! Only in America. Everywhere else in the world where visionary governments lower speed limits and post signage educating drivers to being courteous and civil towards vulnerable road users, they listen! In the US, the opposite, the more you try to educate drivers or create sharrow signage or other traffic calming measures the more it angers drivers and makes for hostile encounters with peds and cyclists. That truck should be crushed while the driver watches.
Old 01-21-20, 04:07 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by leisesturm
i'm not sure there has ever been more than three or four female sociopaths in human history. The term is badly overused. Did you know btw that a sociopath is a purely american phenomenon? I didn't make that up. The chances that that young woman is a sociopath is infinitesimal. Some may want to argue with that. Can you argue with this: That pos truck she was driving should never be allowed on a public road. In just the last couple of months i have overheard conversations and been involved in conversations with people i know well who admitted to the fact that their cars prevented them from hitting people that they did not even see! That's right. Cars that you can buy right now. Ordinary people, not making much more than $50k/yr. Can own vehicles that have the ability to detect peds and cyclists in the vehicle's path and protect them from collision. I would much rather that a driver not hit me at all than that they hit me and stand around wringing their hands while onlookers shoot them dirty looks while first responders work on my badly broken body.

Are we just going to keep moaning and groaning about psychopathic drivers or distracted drivers or elderly drivers or whatever, or are we going to make monster size trucks that can flatten a human being without the driver even noticing illegal. Are we going to mandate that everyone who drives (yes that means you) drive a modern vehicle new enough to have driver assist features? If not, fine, but lets not turn up the faux outrage only when someone gets hit. It's going to get much worse before it gets better. Again, as i understand it, fatal cyclist and pedestrian incidents were increasing at an average 18%/yr. Until most large cities adopted "vision zero" programs. Now fatal pedestrian and cyclist incidents have been increasing 30%/yr!! Only in america. Everywhere else in the world where visionary governments lower speed limits and post signage educating drivers to being courteous and civil towards vulnerable road users, they listen! In the us, the opposite, the more you try to educate drivers or create sharrow signage or other traffic calming measures the more it angers drivers and makes for hostile encounters with peds and cyclists. That truck should be crushed while the driver watches with the driver in it.
fixt.

On a more serious note. I'm glad they caught the driver.

OP, please keep us posted about when/if she is convicted.
Old 01-21-20, 05:13 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Glad they caught her, though I can hardly believe it.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 02-02-20, 10:53 AM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
IThat truck should be crushed while the driver watches.
Yes.
Old 02-02-20, 10:57 AM
whitecat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"But to deliberately swerve AT a cyclist, to "buzz" them, to hit another human being with your car and leave them on the side of the road and flee, that is unforgivable. That cyclist that you curse and swerve at is MY HUSBAND."

And when I said that there were some cretins out the doing it on purpose, I was the villain.
Those scumfks deserve the same as they did to others. Sit them on the bike and runem over with a dumpster truck. That would be a fitting punishment. Let them feel the fear, let them scream.
Old 06-05-20, 06:11 PM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Heartless people like her, once convicted, need to be fast tracked to the execution chamber.
Old 06-08-20, 07:07 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
In my county there is a site that list all 911 calls coming in, in real time. It's described as a hazard and traffic avoidance warning system.
You'll find things like.
Dangerous conditions
Parking complaint
Accident of motor vehicles involving unknown injury,
Fires.

Each with the address and status at that point.. By far, the number of Hit and Runs would astound you.There's has been two just in the time it took to type this out.