Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can Smart Trainer be Used in Dumb Mode (Kickr Core)?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 01:38 PM
KLittler

Bikes: Mariposa custom touring bike, Enigma steel road bike, Jamis Coda Sport town bike (w/baby seat), and my wife Orli's Fuji Absolute 3.0 town bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This may seem an odd question but here goes nothin’. As a newbie to smart trainers/bike apps, I am enjoying Zwift sessions on my Wahoo trainer but might also want to ride my trainer while watching a movie or TV from time to time - setting the resistance myself and/or changing it up with gear-shifts and effort. I am using Apple TV to Zwift, so obviously can’t be in Zwift while watching a movie (and even if I concurrently ran Zwift on my iPhone or tablet, I imagine that it would be pretty distracting).

What I would like to know is whether anyone on Bike Forums knows if smart trainers (or more precisely, the Kickr Core) can be used on occasion without a cycling app. 20-odd years ago I had a basic Tacx trainer which I could use for that sort of purpose but don’t know how I would do so with my new one.
Old 02-08-20, 04:16 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Yes. Try the Wahoo app from your phone or tablet. It's just a simple controller. I rarely use it - in fact, I need to run a spin down test with it. I use my Core/Climb with Bkool on my ipad (on a cyclilng desk right in front of my handlebars, and watch TV while I ride. I dont really find the ipad distracting, more the fact that I tend to just watch TV and forget to even look at the route.
Old 02-08-20, 08:06 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Yes, it's called "Level Mode". You select a grade level and it keeps it constant from zero to whatever. You should be able to select it from the Wahoo app. If you have a Wahoo Bolt you can also work it from there. Not sure if you can control it from a Garmin device. Everything works with everything else.