Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Remember your first century (100 miles)?

Old 11-03-07, 07:03 PM
pelletman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 01-31-09, 01:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
It's been a year or so since this thread was up, and several people did their first centuries over the past year ... or are thinking of doing their first centuries this year.

So ... if you haven't told your story already ..... we'd like to hear it.
Old 01-31-09, 03:07 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I am glad you revived the thread if only for the achievements of pelletman's son on the high-wheeler and his century on the antique. Brilliant!!!
Old 01-31-09, 10:43 PM
skylla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I'm one of those people who did their first century in the past year. For some reason it seems like a long time ago, but my first metric was at the end of last March (Icicle Metric in Delaware), then I did one more a couple weeks later and rode my first imperial century at Calvin's Challenge a few weeks after that. Though I kind of overshot, doing 150 miles instead.

The big loop at that ride is 50 miles, so I think of the experience in thirds. For the first loop, I tried to hang on to people to get the draft, but that was not a good idea. When I got back to the start I was tired and sore. So I rested for more than half an hour. I also changed out of my wet socks and rain jacket, since it seemed like the rain was done.

For the second loop I rode alone almost the whole time, having learned my lesson about trying to hang on to anybody. So I felt a lot better stamina-wise. Unfortunately, I had been wrong about the rain, so I got wet and very cold, esp when I had to stop to fix a flat. But the rain cleared up again (this time for good) toward the end of that loop, so I finished my first 100 miles in one day feeling not bad.

And since it was about 45 minutes before the shorter loop was going to open, I set off on the big loop again. This one was the most memorable. About 15 miles in I was already feeling pretty worn out, and after 20 miles I was nauseous. I caught up to a couple people and stuck with them for the draft until the halfway checkpoint, but they said they were going to be stopping for a while, so I left there with a different person, Doug.

By that point I was feeling terrible. I was hungry, thirsty, and nauseous, and of course drinking or eating anything would make the nausea angry. And I had no choice but to go 25 more miles. But Doug and I traded pulls (not evenly, I'm afraid) and talked, and thus I was able to make it home. Where I lay on the ground coughing (I now have an inhaler for that) and shivering, and consumed the one thing that sounded good: most of a bottle of grapefruit juice.

By the evening, I was already feeling glad I'd done it, and by the next day I was already looking forward to the next thing. I've done 5 more since then, and hopefully there are many more to come.
Old 02-01-09, 12:16 AM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Thoughts expressed in this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0468a.jpg (72.5 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-01-09, 12:25 AM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
My first century was in 1994 when I was in graduate school. I did not have the benefit of the web or experienced cyclists to prepare, but at least I had a younger body. The century was an organized ride in the hills of Indiana, the Honeysuckle 100. (I should still have the T-shirt stuck away in a drawer.) I rode the century with a friend, and the last 15 miles or so I remember being very tired and sore and thinking I would NEVER do a ride like that again. And for 13 years, I didn't. Here I am 15 years later and now I am trying for a century a month in 2009.
Old 02-01-09, 03:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
( Remember your first century (100 miles)?) If so ... tell us about it!
What was your first century like?
My first century, actually a double, was in 1971. The Wolverine Sports Club puts on an annual double century on Belle Isle, an island park in the Detroit River with a five mile perimeter, so the 24 hour double century is 40 laps. It’s totally flat and you are obviously always in the company of lots of other cyclists. As I recall, at that time at least, it was the only time camping was allowed on the island so it was a festive affair. My roommate and I decided to do it, with no training, and me on my Schwinn Suburban and he on his Varsity.

After a few laps into the ride, at the main gate, a rider on a penny-farthing was dismounting, fell, and taco’ed my wheel. I don’t think he even apologized. My mother was able to go buy me a new wheel and drove through the traffic maze to the island, which was obviously congested by all the riders, and delivered a new one in about three hours, so I did finish. At the end, I remember my roommate commented that his then-favorite star, Joey Heatherton, could appear in person, and he could care less ;-)
Old 02-01-09, 04:20 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992- Ride Across INdiana..."One Day, One Way, 160 miles" I still have the T-shirt. I will never forget the sound of 50 or so bikes on a narrow back road south of Indianapolis where there were hedges on either side. The sweet mechanical music of chains and wheels spinning along. That memory of my first distance experience is still my most memorable (Ah Nostalgia!!!).
Old 02-01-09, 09:54 PM
TommyL
convert

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first was this past September, the Chuckanut Century here in Bellingham, WA. It was an interesting experience. I had ridden 85 miles before, so I was confident I could do it. I rode with two friends, one who had been riding quite a bit but no more than 50 miles, and one who had never ridden more than 35 miles. The second friend was on a mid level 80's Raleigh. We ended up doing the 200k version of the race, and counting our brief ride to and from the finish line, my friend rode a century further then he had ever rode before! Not a big deal going from 400k to 600k maybe, but from 35 miles? Yikes!

It took us all day, and I definitely felt like a speed demon pushing the pace. We were lucky to have really good weather, and the ride was well supported with food. My first friend did a good job keeping us together as a group. I spent more time on front to try and even it out.

Anyway, that experience gave me the confidence that if I take it easy enough, and eat a lot, I can probably ride forever! So this year, I am going for Super Randonneur!
Old 02-01-09, 11:43 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
A year ago this time I wasn't really a cyclist. I rode a little bit now and then, but anything over 20 miles was a "long ride" for me. Then in mid February '08 I decided to start training for the STP (Seattle to Portland) Double Century. On May 17th I rode my first century. It was just a solo training ride, from my house in Seattle up to Arlington, WA and back again. I remember getting home totally exhausted, barely able to make it up the front porch steps. At that point I wasn't thinking about having completed a century as much as I was thinking that I'd have to be able to ride twice that distance in another two months. The idea seemed completely impossible. But, two months later I completed the STP (about 12 hours, a little over 10 hours on the bike) and by the end of the year I had completed five more centuries.

Not even a year into my riding career now, I'm completely hooked. I'm shooting for a century a month this year (one down, eleven to go), 1000km per month (one down, eleven to go), and a Super Randonneur series. Who knows? Maybe even PBP in 2011.
Old 02-02-09, 08:58 AM
TommyL
convert

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Steve, your story sounds similar to my own. Maybe I'll see you at some SIR rides this Spring? I've not been yet been I'm going to the first 200k brevet in March.
Old 02-02-09, 03:17 PM
palookabutt
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first was a small local event back in 2003 with about 50 or so riders. I read all the advice I could get and prepared for a couple of months, gradually ramping my distance up to 80 miles or so. Still I was nervous about the distance. But the day came and I stuck to my plan -- took it easy for the first 30 miles and felt like I was going too slowly. Then I hit the hills -- about 30 miles of rollers mixed with some decent flat sections. My legs cramped a bit at about 60 miles, but I cured that with some extra sports drink and carbs (any excuse for a candy bar).

The worst part was a long flat section over 30 of the last 40 miles. My butt was SORE!! Later I determined that my bike fit wasn't quite right and my saddle was not the right shape for me.

I kicked butt over the last 10 miles though. Taking it easy at the start really paid off and I was cruising along. I was even able to drag a couple of exhausted riders behind me, folks I'd met on other rides. We rolled into the parking lot at the end and my computer said 6:08. I had hoped to do it in under 7 hours and thought 6:30 was within my grasp. Except for my sore butt, I was one happy camper.
Old 02-02-09, 04:18 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I did my first century last summer, the Hotter'n'Hell 100 in Wichita Falls, Texas. Fortunately, it was only hot, not hotter'n'Hell, so I was able to finish the ride okay. Took me 9-1/2 hours, about 7-1/2 hours riding time per my speedometer. I started having some leg cramps around mile 45 or so, but mainly got slowed down just from being tired (and old and fat, too, but "tired" sounds better). It was hillier than I anticipated. I stopped at every rest stop I came to. I think they had 3 in the last 20 miles.

My second (and only other) century is written up in the Duval Delta thread in the Texas regional forum, from December.

Just yesterday, I was talking to a guy that used to do a lot of cycling. He's one of these guys that could ride circles around me. But he was telling me he tried the HH100 a couple of years ago (apparently when it was hotter), and bailed off at mile 80. It was neat knowing I finished when he didn't.
Old 02-02-09, 10:45 PM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StephenH
I did my first century last summer, the Hotter'n'Hell 100 in Wichita Falls, Texas.
Very cool (so-to-speak). I'd love to do the HH100 someday, but Wichita Falls isn't exactly near the Seattle area.

My wife & I did our first centuries in July 2007, one week before we did the annual two-day Seattle-to-Portland ride. I'll never forget the feeling of accomplishment when the trip odometer on my cyclocomputer rolled over 100 miles.
Old 02-02-09, 11:45 PM
lonesomesteve

Originally Posted by TommyL
Hey Steve, your story sounds similar to my own. Maybe I'll see you at some SIR rides this Spring? I've not been yet been I'm going to the first 200k brevet in March.
Great. I'll look for you at the 200k.
Old 02-03-09, 12:09 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Not yet.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-03-09, 10:23 PM
Bmxovich
Have Bike Will Travel...

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Expert 2010 Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
A year ago this time I wasn't really a cyclist. I rode a little bit now and then, but anything over 20 miles was a "long ride" for me. Then in mid February '08 I decided to start training for the STP (Seattle to Portland) Double Century. On May 17th I rode my first century. It was just a solo training ride, from my house in Seattle up to Arlington, WA and back again. I remember getting home totally exhausted, barely able to make it up the front porch steps. At that point I wasn't thinking about having completed a century as much as I was thinking that I'd have to be able to ride twice that distance in another two months. The idea seemed completely impossible. But, two months later I completed the STP (about 12 hours, a little over 10 hours on the bike) and by the end of the year I had completed five more centuries.

Not even a year into my riding career now, I'm completely hooked. I'm shooting for a century a month this year (one down, eleven to go), 1000km per month (one down, eleven to go), and a Super Randonneur series. Who knows? Maybe even PBP in 2011.
Thats what I'm hoping to do this year. I just started training for the STP, 26 mi last Saturday and it felt like 50. I'm 48 and haven't ridden any road since the early 80's. 35 mi round trip commutes was the norm. I raced BMX for 10 years with a lot of injuries, the last put me out of the sport. But I reached all the goals I set out to do, no regrets. So 2 years later and a sedate lifestyle, and I've been dying to get back on a bike. Bought a Cervelo Soloist team last Oct and heard about the STP. It's now my goal to complete it in two days. Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Old 02-06-09, 07:43 PM
sal

Bikes: Cannondale Sport Road 500, Motobecane Boris X5 fatbike Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
my first and more

The summer of 2007 I had been riding 25-35 mile rides about twice a week. In September of 2007 I rode my first supported tour. It was the Big Mac in Mackinaw City MI. I chose the 75 mile distance and completed it comfortably. Afterwards, I walked around the city tourist shops with my wife. The next day we all got to pedal across the 5 mile Mackinac bridge to the UP of Michigan. That was a special treat.

From that experience I needed more, and three weeks later I completed my first century in October of 2007. It was the Colorburst Tour from Lowell, MI. I cramped pretty severely but I finished. I think it was the 95 degree temperature and high humidity that day. Regardless, I learned something about electrolytes, fluids and pre-ride preparations.

I was hooked and during 2008 I completed one supported 75 mile tour and 5 century rides throughout Michigan. One of those centuries was the Big Mac again but I chose the 100 mile route.

Now I can't wait for our snow to melt so I can get started again outside.
Old 02-09-09, 02:38 PM
lonesomesteve

Originally Posted by Bmxovich
Thats what I'm hoping to do this year. I just started training for the STP, 26 mi last Saturday and it felt like 50. I'm 48 and haven't ridden any road since the early 80's. 35 mi round trip commutes was the norm. I raced BMX for 10 years with a lot of injuries, the last put me out of the sport. But I reached all the goals I set out to do, no regrets. So 2 years later and a sedate lifestyle, and I've been dying to get back on a bike. Bought a Cervelo Soloist team last Oct and heard about the STP. It's now my goal to complete it in two days. Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
I turn 49 next month, so it's possible even for old guys like us. Don't rule out doing it in one day. My advice is to follow the training schedule they post on the STP web site. And it's not just about getting in the miles they recommend. Make sure you mix it up with some intense rides, intervals, hills, long slow distance rides, and easy recovery rides when you need them. If you follow their schedule, you'll be fit enough. If you decide to do the one-day, the only thing I might add to their training schedule is a least one 200k (125 miles). I think it's important psychologically to know what the miles feel like on the other side of that 100 mile mark. The rest is just about nutrition, hydration and bike fit on the day of the ride.

Good luck
Old 02-09-09, 04:29 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been reading this interesting thread (since Machka resurrected it) and trying to remember my first century. Unfortunately, it is lost in the mists of time ... or, more likely, the fog of Staffordshire.

The first one(s) I can recall clearly were part of a crossing of British Columbia to Alberta, in 1972. Traversing BC, for those unfamiliar with the topography, means climbing over several mountain ranges, including the Rockies.

My riding partner and I used the first day to lodge ourselves deeply into the Fraser Canyon, covering 200km (125 miles). Climbing such renowned quad-busters as Jackass Mountain (361m/1,184ft.) in withering heat, we continued into the interior, toward Kamloops, as my right knee began to complain. After seeing a doctor to get some NSAIDS -- which I was warned to take with food! -- we continued upward to 1382 m/4,534ft. Rogers Pass and on to Golden.

Camping on the east shoulder of the pass, we ran into the limitations of our lightweight approach to sleeping gear. "Space blankets" had just hit the market and we decided this inexpensive, light and compact innovation would be just the thing. Of course, just as soon as one becomes damp with perspiration and the mountain night closes in, there follows a long, shivering interregnum to contemplate one's insignificance among the great summits. This training was to serve me well in ensuing years as a mountaineer. I still vividly remember the golden alpenglow touching the summits at dawn and the St. Vitus' dancing around the campsite, trying to thaw stiffened quads.

Evenings were spent around the campfire with patch kit and darning needle, fixing my tubular tyres.

We fell short of our planned lightening-fast traverse, but still made Banff -- a distance of 800km/500 miles -- in under six days. Not bad with loaded bikes.

Pix from that trip on this page.

I've done uncounted 100s since. Plan to do many more, starting with usual brevet season.

Last edited by Randochap; 02-09-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 09:25 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It was 2002, and dear old dad invited me to join him for a "little" hundred mile ride on the limestone trails up in Wisconsin. Although I had never ridden anywhere near that distance before, I have been riding a bike for most of my life, occasionally even knocking off 30 to 40 miles at a stretch. So, I figured, what the heck?

At the time I was smoking over a pack a day and, due to some "issues", 12 ounce curls were a large part of my exercise routine. Doubling-down on difficulty, I had an old Schwinn that weighed a ton. I know now why the old man had a spit-eating grin on his face when I showed up at the door.

I survived, somehow finishing that ride. However, my calves were so tight, I could not walk right for two days. Even worse, I ended up with numbness in my left hand that lasted for well over two months. For a while there, I thought I had given myself a stroke.

Well...that's all behind me know. I ditched the smokes, rarely touch booze and, these days, knock off centuries like they are 5 mile rides through the park.

BTW: This Saturday, I will go after my first winter-season century ride. They are calling for temps in the lower 30's with some snow in the forecast. I look forward to it.
Old 02-13-09, 09:11 AM
bikecopXXX

Bikes: steel ones

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1975, Norman, Oklahoma, LAW century. Think Oklahoma is flat? Ha!! I did it with zero training, an old steel road bike with clips & straps. My feet went numb, my neck ached, my butt was on fire. ran out of water & food and finished on fumes. it's a good thing i was young and stupid.
Old 02-13-09, 12:53 PM
serhiypopoff
randonneur from Ukraine

Bikes: Colnago C50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine was in 1982. I took part in road race in Ukraine, Zaporozhie, 180 кm long.
Old 02-23-09, 06:16 PM
fenny
Commuter

Bikes: jamis quest, scattante romá, raleigh c40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just made mine yesterday (it was my first metric too ). Unfortunately I started late, so the last two hours were done in the dark / below freezing. Did fine on food and water (though I never want to eat another Lärabar / Clifbar again).

At 70 miles my knee started to hurt, and today it's a bit painful and warm (though not swollen as far as I can tell). I think I must have been slipping forward on the saddle, decreasing my effective saddle height. I bike to work every day but I'll do my best to take it easy on the knee until it gets better.

Last edited by fenny; 02-23-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 12:28 AM
Butcher

Bikes: 2005 S-Works SR Equipped,1978 Tom Ritchie Road bike, Kuwahara Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first century was riding from Tachikawa [Toyko] Japan to Kagosaka Pass [Mount Fuji] and back. Did not know I was going to ride 180km that day and did not know that I was going to remember that day for the rest of my life. That was in 1977 when I was 16. Best ride and most memorable so far to date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.