Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First ride Mavic tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 03:58 PM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I purchased a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST, with Yksion Pro USt tire installed from Merling Cycles very very good price. I removed and reinstalled the tires three time. They installed using hands only no tools needed and pumped up using a Leyze floor pump with only 25 strokes. Getting the tire off the bead is another problem, on the third try I used a small screwdriver to get the tire started off the bead, this worked a lot better. The tire is really stuck to the bead I guess this is for safety reasons. If this is the only negative its something I can live with. In the past I have been riding Bontrager Aura 5 wheels with Cont GP4000S'2 with pressures of 85psi front and 90 rear. Getting 4500 miles out of the rear tire. I weigh 170 pounds. My first ride today on the new Mavic's with 80 psi front and 85 rear. It didn't take but a few miles to realize how smooth a ride you get with this tubeless set up. I really couldn't tell any difference in the performance, weight of the wheels or the rolling resistance. I was riding in 8 to 15 mph winds, but with the silky smooth ride I could care less. Unless there is a problem that pops up later, like low millage tire life or something of this nature, I will pay the price of the Yksion Pro UST tires and ride tubeless from now on! Mavic did a super good job with there UST tubeless setup. Thanks Mavic
Old 01-30-18, 04:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
So you're trying to tell us that by reducing your tire pressure FIVE whole pounds the ride turned "silky smooth"?

I normally inflate my rear clincher to 110 psi but I can ride tubeless at 80 psi. Now THAT makes a difference. I suspect you can't even feel 5 lbs.
Old 01-30-18, 04:15 PM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if its just the pressure the Conti measures 28 wide or the make up the tire but believe me there is a big difference.
Old 01-30-18, 04:27 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’m a big fan of tubeless but the mavic set up and them warning about not using other tubeless tires keeps me out of thinking of that wheelset. I enjoy experimenting with other tires too much!

What surprises me is your mileage claim of 4500 on one rear tire, wow! I’m lucky to get 2000 miles out of any tire including the famed gp4’s that weren’t that great for me. Must be all the skids I do along with the high torque traffic light drag racing

Enjoy the wheels and riding tubeless!
Old 01-31-18, 03:26 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadlizzard
Getting the tire off the bead is another problem, on the third try I used a small screwdriver to get the tire started off the bead, this worked a lot better.

I grab the top of the tire with my fingers on the opposite side and push the bead away from me with my two thumbs. I do this all around the wheel on both sides until the entire bead is unseated and from there taking the tire off is easy with fingers only.
Old 01-31-18, 09:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Yeah, don't use a screwdriver. You could damage the bead and/or gouge the rim, and screw the sealing up.
Old 02-01-18, 08:01 PM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mine must be made tighter, I worked for about 15 minutes with out having any luck. I removed the rear twice and the front once with the same results. I was using tire leavers pushing on the tire bead all around the rim and it just wouldn't move off bead. Called Mavic and they suggested pushing inward on the bead to get it off that didn't work any better. I'm in the process of making a tool out of two tire leaver so I wouldn't scratch the rim. I was removing the tires when they were new they never had been ridden. I going to give it another try tomorrow, with some miles on the tires and if it's still real hard I will try my tool made from tire leavers.
Old 02-01-18, 09:04 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I don't know if its just the pressure the Conti measures 28 wide or the make up the tire but believe me there is a big difference.
Thanks for the review of the tubeless tires. They mounted a lot easier than some other tubeless road tire reports.
I'm quite surprised you can't push the sidewalls inward with your thumbs to dismount the tire.

Here's a youtube mountain bike guy that stood on the tire and pulled up on the rim ...video link.

Were your GP4000S 28mm or just measure 28 on your rims? I have wide rims, 20.6mm internal width, 25.5 mm external. My GP4000S 25mm measure 29mm on these rims, so I inflate like a 29mm tire.
29mm: about 65 psi front, 80 psi rear.
26mm: about 80 psi front, 95 psi rear. (These are 23mm tires on my 25.5mm rim, very comfortable.)

Since tubeless are very resistant to pinch flats, you could try even lower pressures. You want a smooth ride, but no mushy feel, and a predictable cornering feel.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-01-18 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 09:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
To break the bead, I use both hands, in an alternating twisting motion, to roll the tire carcass over the far edge of the rim, which pulls the near bead off of the shoulder and back in to the center channel. If it's really tough, stand with the wheel standing in front of you, so that you can lean in to that twisting motion with body weight instead of just hand/forearm strength. Wear gloves if you can - unless you're a lumberjack, you'll probably develop some nice blisters.
Old 02-01-18, 10:50 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Called Mavic and they suggested pushing inward on the bead to get it off that didn't work any better.
That’s all I do is press inward with my thumbs and it’s not that hard at all.
Old 02-02-18, 04:38 AM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks going to give another try this morning. I do have problems with my hands wore them out over the years. My GP 4000S2 were 25's they just measured 28 on the old rims.
Old 02-02-18, 06:56 AM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks a million, I guess I was just stupid trying to push the bead off with a tire tool. I took WhyFi's advice and the tire just rolled off the bead as he suggested. Now I know I like the Mavic's even more.