Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yksion Tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Yksion Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 12:04 PM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yksion Tires

I have ordered a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite USD wheels and they come with WST Yksion Pro UST ties Tubless, Does anyone have any experience with these tires. I know they are free and come with the wheels, I was just wanting to know what to expect. I have been running Con GP4000S2 for years with nothing but great service and great millage easy getting 5000 miles on rear tire. Thanks
Old 01-24-18, 06:34 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Funny, I reached out to Mavic and asked about using other tire brands and types on their "UST" rims. They said that while other tires could be used, they don't recommend it. Based on that I passed on the wheels. The tires are made by Hutchinson and are good tires, at least. But I doubt they'll give you the same trouble-free service as the GP 4 Seasons, which are my "winter" tires. I've never flatted one, which is why I ride them when I ride in the cold and dark.
Old 01-25-18, 09:51 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 1,028 Posts
I've never ridden the tubeless versions of Yksion, but have had two sets, the clincher Yksion Comp and Yksion Pro. Good tires. Handled well, with predictable grip. I liked them just fine.
Old 01-26-18, 08:38 AM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My Mavic Ksyrium wheel arrived and the first thing I did want to see how hard it would be to inset a tube while out on the road. The tire came mounted, the tire was a little hard getting off the bead. Once off the bead it took no effort to remove the tire from the rim. Removed the tubeless stem installed the tube then mounted the tire back on the rim. You could tell the tube took up a little room in the tire but had no problem getting the tire on the rim. After inflating to check everything I removed the tube and installed the tubeless stem, I mounted the WST Yksion Pro UST back on the rim without tools, super easy. It took 25 pumps with a Lezyne Steel Floor pump to seat the tire bead and inflate tire to 85psi. Everything you see and hear about how easy the Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST tubeless set up is true. Will post later about performance and millage of the Yksion Pro UST tires.
Old 01-26-18, 08:42 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Been riding mine for over 1000 miles now with most of that tubeless. They seem very comparable to the gp4000's I was riding before the new wheels.
Old 01-26-18, 01:36 PM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talked to Mavic they said any tire will fit just fine on our wheels. I f anyone need new wheels giver these a look, there are a couple sites on you tube that are work looking at. The price from Merlin Cycles $566 or close to that price.
Old 01-27-18, 01:39 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
In my experience, Mavic UST are preferable to Schwalbe Pro Ones

The Mavics are easier to mount, seem more resistant to cuts, and ride smother at the same pressures, wear is similar

Both tires handle well, have no idea which is more effcient
Old 01-27-18, 02:40 AM
MovingViolation

Bikes: Brompton S6R-X, Tern Verge X20, Moulton SST, BMC RoadMachine, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Interesting to hear this. Scuttlebutt used to be that Yksions had positively dangerously terrible grip in the wet. Have things improved greatly since then?

I've had nothing but good experiences with Schwalbe Pro Ones on Boyd wheels using Orange Sealant.

If Mavics UST Yksions are really that good, then might be inclined to risk trying a Mavic disc wheelset one of these days. GCN did a nice puff piece on the combination a while back, but nothing beats real world reviews from real people.
Old 01-28-18, 06:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX

The Mavics are easier to mount, seem more resistant to cuts, and ride smother at the same pressures, wear is similar

Both tires handle well, have no idea which is more effcient
Are you talking about mounting Yksion UST onto Mavic UST compared to mounting P1s on Mavic UST rims or what? The whole deal with the benefit of UST addresses the variability of compatible tubeless rims and tires, so you need to indicate which rim you’re talking about for the comment to have any meaning.
Old 01-28-18, 09:54 PM
cashwatson007

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roadlizzard

Please post a pick of your Mavic rims on your bike. I’ve been thinking about ordering those rims myself!
Old 01-28-18, 10:04 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone mount them on Ultegra wheels?
Old 01-28-18, 10:26 PM
Carbon1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadlizzard
I have ordered a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite USD wheels and they come with WST Yksion Pro UST ties Tubless, Does anyone have any experience with these tires. I know they are free and come with the wheels, I was just wanting to know what to expect. I have been running Con GP4000S2 for years with nothing but great service and great millage easy getting 5000 miles on rear tire. Thanks
Same here, been running GP400SII's for a couple of years and have been very happy with wear, durability and performance. I'm considering a set of Mavic Cosmic Pro SL UST and was wondering the same thing about the tires.
I'm really interested in running tubeless and even more so since the demonstrations I've seen on the Mavic UST, just concerned about the limited choice of tires at this point. I plan on training and racing on these tires.
Old 01-28-18, 10:52 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Are you talking about mounting Yksion UST onto Mavic UST compared to mounting P1s on Mavic UST rims or what? The whole deal with the benefit of UST addresses the variability of compatible tubeless rims and tires, so you need to indicate which rim you’re talking about for the comment to have any meaning.
Have not mounted Pro Ones on UST wheels, I'm sure Pro Ones with fit the UST rim, but have only mounted them on Cosmic Pro Carbon, and Hunt wheels so far
Originally Posted by cashwatson007
Please post a pick of your Mavic rims on your bike. I’ve been thinking about ordering those rims myself!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
allez_ust.jpg (134.8 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg
SLX_hunt_PO.jpg (63.4 KB, 431 views)
Old 02-25-18, 08:01 AM
RoadKing

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know in the MAVIC YKSION PRO UST TUBELESS READY CLINCHER TYRE 700x25 will work OK with other tubeless rims? I have a pair of Assaults that I run tubeless with Pro 1's and would like to try some different tires, especially if they mount easier.
Old 02-25-18, 08:11 AM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadlizzard
i had the pro's....if u run them at low psi they are ok compared to the conti.....
Old 02-25-18, 10:16 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ran tubed pros on the Time, but took them off as they seem to puncture easily. They're on my Bianchi at the moment, which a friend borrowed - and had a puncture after 30km. I know it's luck of the draw with punctures, but the Michelins, Contis and Schwalbes I have in the other bikes seem more resistant.
Old 02-25-18, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
So have you ridden on them yet? Did you notice any difference from what you had before? Or are you still practicing for possible roadside emergencies?
Old 02-25-18, 02:09 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
As I understand it, Mavic does not manufacture the tires. I read that they are being made by Hutchinson. I have no idea whether there is a difference in the bead profile between a Hutchinson road tubeless tire and a Yksion road tubeless tire. Mavic claims that tolerences of their rims and tires are more consistent than others. However, Hutchinson has been making road tubeless tires longer than anyone, I have used Fusion2, Fusion3, and now Fusion5 road tubeless tires since I bought my Campagnolo Shamal 2way Fit wheels a few years ago. The Fusion5 tires were by far the easiest to install and inflate. When a company like Mavic introduces a new product, they will extoll the virtues of what they are selling to encourage new users to only buy what they are producing. I suspect that any Hutchinson Road Tubeless tire would work just as well as a Yksion tire given that they are made by the same producer
Old 02-25-18, 02:27 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To be fair, Hutcbinson also extoll the virtues of their new types, as any manufacturer wil. To be even fairer, Michelin, Hutchinson and Mavic make some of the best tyres around.
Old 02-25-18, 02:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
To be fair, Hutcbinson also extoll the virtues of their new types, as any manufacturer wil. To be even fairer, Michelin, Hutchinson and Mavic make some of the best tyres around.
No argument from me on this. There are lots of great tires out there. Anyone's top of the line tire is a good choice, except that Mavic is not a tire not a tire manufacturer.

Last edited by alcjphil; 02-25-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 08:48 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
There was a GCN video about Mavic tubeless. Very impressive.
Old 03-05-18, 08:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Old 03-06-18, 04:18 PM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tires

I like my Yksion Pro UST tires so well I order one to have as a spare along with a tubeless tire repair kit and I'm selling my new spare GP 4000S2. I did order a 700x28 spare
Old 03-06-18, 04:22 PM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tires

Just for you info I have to put one pump of air, one stroke of my Lezyne steel floor pump per day in my Yksion Pro UST tires to maintain pressure.
Old 04-16-18, 08:28 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I wanted to give an update on my Yksion USTs. I nailed a chunk of concrete about 2 inches high in the road at 20mph and it pinched a hole in the side wall of my front tire about 2 months ago. The hole was above the level of sealant so it didn't re seal until I tilted the tire on its side and gave it a spin to the sealant could get to the hole. The sealant held pretty well but blew out a couple of times where I had turn the wheel on its side again to reseal. That was in the week or so after the puncture but I haven't had any more issues with it since.

Yesterday on the final 4 blocks of my ride, I must have ran over some glass and the rear tire started spraying sealant all over but sealed itself after a block. I rode home and decided I was going to try a patch kit from Performance like the Hutchinson tubeless tire patch, but like 4 times cheaper. I guess I just have trust issues with the sealant and not wanting to have to deal with it on a long ride. When I went to reseat the tire bead, I couldn't get it to seat. I tried with sealant already in the tire and without but I could not get it to reseat. I even tried a CO2 but it didn't seat. Now when these were new, they seated with one or two strokes of the floor pump: super easy. I wonder if the tire isn't just worn out and has lost its rigidity and wont seat right.

I have a compressor at home, but I don't have a presta fiting for it. I am going to pick up a schrader to presta adapter today to give that a shot.

So my question for anyone using these Yksion UST tires is how much life are you getting out of these? I currently have 1600 miles in mine. They have a little life left but they do seem to be wearing faster than my GP4000 II's. OK a lot faster. Prices on these Yksions are hard to find less than full retail so its like $80 per tire where I could get the GP4000 II for more like $35 a tire and get twice the life. Plus you need to top off the sealant every few months so prices of tubes kind of gets nullified by the price of sealant.

Have any one of you used a different tubeless tire with their Mavic UST rims? I see Giant now has Gavia UST tires set to the same Mavic UST standard but they are $80 for the high thread count and $50 for the lower thread count. I would like to stay tubeless but it would be great to get some better wear life out of them. Also I am pretty sure the GP4000's would have laughed at the same patch of glass that took out the Yksions yesterday so some better puncture protection would be nice too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.