Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Say something to hands-off cyclist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Say something to hands-off cyclist?

Old 09-25-19, 07:26 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by L8APEXN
It seems that you assume, as does the OP, that riding hands free means that folks don't have control of their bikes and/or it puts others at risk.

It's too bad that so many folks are so uninformed.
The actual degree of risk is irrelevant.

If, while jogging down a pubic trail I elevate the intensity of my workout by shadow boxing a series of imaginary opponents, maybe even using small weights, other trail users are going to perceive that as putting them at risk. It doesn't matter if I've never hit anybody. It doesn't matter if others engage in the same behavior without hitting anybody. The perception is there.

If I can increase everyone's enjoyment of public space by forgoing behavior many would perceive as placing them at risk, that's the way I'll go. I can change my behavior, all I can do is complain about their perception.
Old 09-25-19, 07:35 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeKahno

If, while jogging down a pubic trail I elevate the intensity of my workout by shadow boxing a series of imaginary opponents, maybe even using small weights, other trail users are going to perceive that as putting them at risk. It doesn't matter if I've never hit anybody. It doesn't matter if others engage in the same behavior without hitting anybody. The perception is there.

If I can increase everyone's enjoyment of public space by forgoing behavior many would perceive as placing them at risk, that's the way I'll go. I can change my behavior, all I can do is complain about their perception.
Well some motorists perceive that the very act of someone riding a bicycle on the road is dangerous.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 09-25-19, 07:42 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
Well some motorists perceive that the very act of someone riding a bicycle on the road is dangerous.
Dangerous to the car driver? I find that difficult to believe. If they perceive it as dangerous to the cyclist it says more about their evaluation of their own abilities to handle a vehicle. Perhaps they should go to a driving school for a refresher course.
Old 09-25-19, 07:54 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Dangerous to the car driver? I find that difficult to believe. If they perceive it as dangerous to the cyclist it says more about their evaluation of their own abilities to handle a vehicle. Perhaps they should go to a driving school for a refresher course.
I am only using what you said.
There are often comments from motorists on Facebook about cyclists being a danger.
Based on your comment the best way to solve this issue is to forgo the perceived dangerous behaviour.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 09-25-19, 07:58 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

It would increase my enjoyment of this forum if I didn't have to risk reading this tortuously bad logic.

You're favoring ignorant people. A few people ought to learn that some people are in total control of their bike without their hands. But instead of confronting this stupidity, you say they're entitled to it, and others should adjust to make them more comfortable with their ignorance.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 09-25-19, 09:22 PM
L8APEXN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Using your "logic," everyone should stop doing things that others perceive to put them at risk, even when there is no risk. What a crappy world that would be,
where everyone is limited by the irrational fears of others.

p.s. It's interesting that you've changed your argument from "puts others at risk" to "The actual degree of risk is irrelevant." Way to move the goal posts!
Likes For L8APEXN:
Old 09-26-19, 05:03 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Using your "logic," everyone should stop doing things that others perceive to put them at risk, even when there is no risk. What a crappy world that would be,

p.s. It's interesting that you've changed your argument from "puts others at risk" to "The actual degree of risk is irrelevant." Way to move the goal posts!
This
Old 09-26-19, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Really bad analogy.

I would be worried about the shadow boxing jogger because I wouldn't be able to evaluate quickly whether the guy miming an assault as I am passing in the other direction is engaged in a workout or is actually threatening me. You're not comparing like things. Maybe if the no-hands cyclist was practicing a nunchuck routine?
Old 09-26-19, 07:34 AM
chineezguy

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2, Easy Racer recumbent, Raleigh Sojourn, Yuba Mundo, Kuota K-Factor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
get off my lawn!
😂🤣
Old 09-26-19, 09:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Once again, it's that old "if I don't like it, then nobody should be allowed to do it" mentality.
Old 09-26-19, 09:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Maybe if the no-hands cyclist was practicing a nunchuck routine?
Now that would be badass. I'd love to see that.
Old 09-26-19, 09:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Just because I can't do it doesn't mean that it's dangerous or even difficult for others.
Old 09-26-19, 05:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
This is BF, where everyone's minimum cost of entry should be able to say they can turn on a dime with no hands.
Old 09-26-19, 07:45 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
There’s a kid in my neighborhood who rides backwards while sitting on the handlebars. He has to look over his shoulder to see where he’s going. He rides all over the place like that — helmet loosely on his head with the strap hanging.

Am I supposed to call the police on him?

I confess I had to try it myself. It’s really not hard at all, but craning my neck around to see where I’m going is more than my old bones can handle.

-Kedosto
Old 09-27-19, 12:46 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
The best one I read here on BF was a person who said they would fly in the bike lane past cars stuck in traffic... while riding no hands and playing air guitar.
Old 09-27-19, 12:59 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
What I would say? I would say "hi" and be done with it. No reason to be a jerk off. You think someone cares about your opinion? Especially when you're yelling and telling them what to do?
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 09-27-19, 03:36 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Humpy
Honestly?

I think riding around and yelling at people about stuff like this is incredibly ******y.
I'm with Humpy on this one
Likes For Unapomer:
Old 09-27-19, 03:42 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A guy came shooting towards me yesterday on the MUP, no handed, and I thought of this thread. But he was so rock-steady and calm that I had zero apprehension about it, wouldn't have even noted it ... except this thread ...
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-27-19, 06:19 PM
L8APEXN
Banned

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
What's annoying is when you're riding no hands-free and the guy coming the other way is staring at his front wheel and drifting towards a head on so you have say something and then put your hands back on the bars in case distracted rider dude doesn't look up and you need to brake.

Run on sentences are also annoying.

Old 09-27-19, 07:56 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm 52. How well I can ride no-handed has more to do with which bike I'm on. I can ride my road bike no-handed all day. On my old MTB, it's harder to do. You would think it would be the other way around. I'm not sure why.
Agreed. I've got a folder (with no top tube) and it's practically impossible for me to ride no handed. No problem on my other bikes.
edit: never tried, and never would try, on the tandem.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-27-19, 08:16 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Kedosto
There’s a kid in my neighborhood who rides backwards while sitting on the handlebars. He has to look over his shoulder to see where he’s going. He rides all over the place like that — helmet loosely on his head with the strap hanging.

Am I supposed to call the police on him?

I confess I had to try it myself. It’s really not hard at all, but craning my neck around to see where I’m going is more than my old bones can handle.

-Kedosto
That's why you need a mirror on your helmet.
Old 09-28-19, 04:31 AM
Decadence

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If the no-hand rider is steady and looking forwards then I don't see any reason to intervene.

If you see someone riding down a bike path on a unicycle do you also yell at them?
Likes For Decadence:
Old 09-29-19, 03:08 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
omg I would love to see someone riding a unicycle holding a handlebar in the air
Old 09-30-19, 12:48 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Some of you sound like whiny little [expletives deleted]. Get over yourselves, anybody brave enough to ride no-handed, probably has decent cycling skills. Stability comes with speed. It's a good way to relax ones back after being hunched over for who knows how long and not need to stop.

I ride no-handed when I feel like it. I didn't go mowing down a paceline of orphans carrying kittens in front racks. Sometimes I make running motions with my arms to tease joggers. I've hit potholes and bumps and didn't crash in to anything. But I've also been known to stand up on my bike while coasting, if I'm in a good mood I might even be dancing on it, even in traffic. The only "real danger" is everybody else.

My only scare riding no-handed happened the other day. I was riding the section of road I salmon on the way to work. Because I'm not crossing five lanes to go to the store, cross them again, and then cross them again a block later, before or after I cross the roughly seven lane cross street. Anyway; I was on that section no-handed and a semi drove by and the gust blew my front wheel. Thought I was gonna eat it.
I've only had two bikes I couldn't ride no-handed; my old 60s Sears&Roebuck I made a fixie, the fork was weird on that thing. Imagine the castors on a baskart but backwards. My sketchy chopper(A Schwinn Link I put a Stingray fork on and a 20" bmx wheel). My ratrod(Huffy Nel Lusso) with a tripple tree fork sometimes got the death wobbles. Side story; my old 150 scooter would get death wobbles if you were going under 40+ mph, would scare my at the time fiance, I found it funny.

There. It's fixed for the snowflakes.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 09-30-19, 09:29 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I was thinking of this thread yesterday when I was out for a mellow ride on the ARBT. Weekend mornings tend to be busy, so there's plenty of traffic coming and going. At one point, I sat up and rode no-handed to pull out a banana and eat it. Not one person yelled at me. Maybe we just have fewer busybodies here, I dunno.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.