Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Planning a city bike build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Planning a city bike build

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 11:18 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I consider drop bars hideous on a city bike!

A Nitto Albatross bar looks just right... a homage to the old Raleigh three speeds. And if its too much to change over to North Roads bars, I'm personally happiest with a moustache bar.
Old 07-15-14, 08:15 AM
Syscrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Well, the good news is that nobody's gonna make you put drops on your city bike.
Old 07-15-14, 12:48 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Syscrush
Well, on Saturday I finished the Toronto-Montreal ride with my brother and brother-in-law.

The extra range (low and high) made a big difference. I did spend a bit of time at 55-65kph (aka 5H gear) until we were past Kingston and the terrain flattened out, and I definitely used 2L and 1L for some of the climbs in Scarborough, Port Hope, and most notably Mount Royal. I was especially glad for that range as we rode ~130km to the base of Mount Royal, before going up. I also learned to stop worrying and love 2H, which is basically the same ratio as 4L, but is easier to use with 3H for short, moderate climbs.

As well as it performed on this 650k trip, I do think that the 2x5 setup with a bar-end twist shifter is better-suited to city riding than fitness or touring rides. Having to move my hand for shifting the hub is a bit much to do all day, and results in a bit of lost momentum on each shift, and doing a shift that involves both ends of the drivetrain (e.g. 4L to 3H) even more so.

I have a Jamis Sputnik that I haven't ridden since having this bike built, and I think I'll have the 2x5 drivetrain swapped over to it, and use that as my city bike (set up with riser bars instead of the current bullhorn).

The Gios will then get either an Alfine 11 Di2 setup, a Campy Centaur or SRAM Rival groupset, or a new owner. We'll see. The Norco Indie Drop Di2 is a very good fit for me on paper, but I really hate how it looks. Still, it would be the smart purchase for another trip like this one - and smarter still for anything longer and/or self-supported.

If the Gios is spared daily rider duty, then it would make sense for me to have it seriously cleaned up and repainted/restored, and fit with a new groupset. Campy makes sense in terms of heritage, but on the other hand I love mechanical oddities which makes the SRAM double-tap shifter very appealing.

I think that 5.5 years without ever dropping a chain (except on a rental Di2 Ultegra bike) may have completely spoiled me, though. Both of my tripmates on the Toronto-MTL ride dropped their chains at the same time - they were both on the middle chainring of their triples, and small cog, so the chains were sloppy when we hit some very rough pavement at the low point between 2 hills. It reminded me that that's something that I just never, ever have to think about. It also made me reflect on how a good friend of mine dropped his chain when pushing at full force at ~50kph and the resulting spill took months of recovery time. Those things add up to a very compelling argument for sticking with IGH, and only the A11 has workable options that work with integrated shifters. There's the ShiftEZY setup for the Rohloff, but it's unbearably ugly - I can't put that on this bike.

What's certain at this point is that the bike has done everything I've wanted/needed it to do, and then some - and it's been a great experience. I have all of the time I need to decide how to change things up next.
That's a cool shot. Glad to see the drive train was up to it. I admit, I was a bit apprehensive about the low input ratio to the hub in low range, but as my own experience has shown with a ball lock type Sturmey Archer 5 speed over the last 8 years and 5,000 km of punishing use, they seem to be up to it.
Old 05-29-15, 05:35 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm finally going to convert my Windsor TimeLine into an IGH road bike. I'm talking it to the shop tomorrow.

I want to know how reliable the SA 5 speed has been. I have an S-RF 3 on my Linus and love it. I want to add a little more range to the Windsor.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-15, 11:40 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by rudypyatt
I know this is an old thread, but I'm finally going to convert my Windsor TimeLine into an IGH road bike. I'm talking it to the shop tomorrow.

I want to know how reliable the SA 5 speed has been. I have an S-RF 3 on my Linus and love it. I want to add a little more range to the Windsor.

Any thoughts?
Sorry, I haven't logged in for a while.

The hub has worked very well for me and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The twist-grip shifter isn't great - I have a hard time keeping it tuned such that I can shift all the way from 1-5, but that is absolutely the only issue I've ever had.

I'm still riding this bike, but not putting as many miles on it as I have in previous years. Still, I enjoy it every time I get on it and I never worry about my drivetrain. The setup with the XRF-5 and Schlumpf Speed Drive is great, but I don't think I'd recommend it over just getting an A8 or A11. My new city bike (coming soon!) has an A8.

Good luck with your conversion!!!
Old 01-29-16, 08:20 AM
Syscrush

Last spring I had a kid and was barely able to get out riding - the longest ride I did was 40k, and I only managed that a couple of times. Fredo has been a very good do-everything bike - it was the only bike I rode for any purpose for 4 years. Despite the fairly aggressive ergos and having the aches & pains that come with being a 40-something rider in non-great shape, it worked well for me and I've been happy with it.

Things I've done with this bike:
1. Commute on the rough & busy streets of Toronto.
2. Get groceries.
3. Fitness & pleasure riding.
4. A couple of solo century rides.
5. Toronto - Montreal trip.

Basically, everything but racing or serious mountain riding. All on 1 set of Schwalbe Super Marathon 25mm tires. Before the Toronto - Montreal ride I noticed that the rear was showing signs of wear, so I swapped it with the front, which still looked near-pristine after a few thousand kms.

I'm keeping this bike, but from now on it'll be my fitness/touring bike. Dan built a very nice "old fat dad" bike for me to use for commuting, running errands, and riding around with the baby. I'm happy with my new city bike and will make a thread for it soon.
Old 01-30-16, 05:45 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Next Project: Eurasian Nexus Path Racer/ City Bike

I was nearing the end of my winter projects, and there were still at least two months left of winter... what to do?

I started looking at CL and daydreaming... found an old French 10-speed for cheap, looked at the bits I had lying around the shop, and the concept began to take shape.

Now, parts are converging on me from all points on the globe: some Dutch Bike Bits, a Taylor Nexus-8 wheel from Germany (which has been sitting at the USPS ISC in Chicago now for over a week!), some other stuff off eBay and Amazon - it's like Economic Gravity! Spend some money, and a bike begins to form.

This one is going to be cool. Here's the only pic I've taken so far:

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a bit of a teaser, but I was trying to see how high I could safely mount the Lauterwasser bars on that Nitto stem. This one's gonna be purty!
Old 04-01-16, 06:45 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by DQRider
It's a bit of a teaser, but I was trying to see how high I could safely mount the Lauterwasser bars on that Nitto stem. This one's gonna be purty!
Do you have a build thread?
Old 04-01-16, 07:04 AM
MartinKiller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great wings!goodbikes!it would begreat ifmore peopleunderstoodthat Cyclingis the best formof transport!
Old 04-01-16, 07:08 AM
Syscrush

Here's a mini-update.

Dan had a booth at the Toronto spring bike show, and he featured my bike there - it was a showcase for his IGH conversions and Schlumpf installations. He gave it a super spiff-up and detailing, and also replaced the dying twist shifter with a shiny new bar-end shifter.

I went to the show with my good camera hoping to get some glamor shots of the nicely detailed bike, but forgot my memory card!

It's collecting dust now while I wait for nicer weather and a chance to ride. I'll try to spiff it back up and get some good shots (including the new much-improved shifter) to share here soon.
Old 04-01-16, 07:36 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Here's a mini-update.

Dan had a booth at the Toronto spring bike show, and he featured my bike there - it was a showcase for his IGH conversions and Schlumpf installations. He gave it a super spiff-up and detailing, and also replaced the dying twist shifter with a shiny new bar-end shifter.

I went to the show with my good camera hoping to get some glamor shots of the nicely detailed bike, but forgot my memory card!

It's collecting dust now while I wait for nicer weather and a chance to ride. I'll try to spiff it back up and get some good shots (including the new much-improved shifter) to share here soon.
Many thanks for allowing me to use your bike in my exhibit. I wish I had grabbed some better photos, but here is a still I grabbed off my video.

There is a better look at your bike at about the 2:38 point in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLEmxB-gTi0
Old 04-01-16, 07:37 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Do you have a build thread?
Unfortunately no. This was just after I joined the forums, and I never took "before" photos, so I can't put one together now. I assume you have seen the finished bike, as I've scattered images over several different threads. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your build.
Old 04-02-16, 10:58 AM
Syscrush

Unfortunately no. This was just after I joined the forums, and I never took "before" photos, so I can't put one together now. I assume you have seen the finished bike, as I've scattered images over several different threads. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your build.
I looked around and found your bike. It looks really wonderful:
Old 04-02-16, 11:05 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Thanks for all the input, folks.

Fenders: I would like some, but it's not the highest priority. Once I get the bike rideable and put some miles on it, I'll decide then what (if anything) to do about fitting some kind of fender. Probably raceblades or nothing.

The dropouts are adjustable with 8mm fore-aft movement. Should work just fine for this setup.

IGH: I bought the wrong one, although in my defense the right one won't be available from anyplace until late spring or early summer. I got so excited to find an X-RF5 in stock somewhere that I didn't realize that it's not the X-RF5(W) that I want until it was pointed out by member Dan Burkhart when he saw the pic in this thread. The plan was to use the Sturmey Archer bar-end shifter, which requires the (W) hub. Ugh. I feel a bit sick. Seems like the wait for (W) hubs is months long at this point, so I'm going to use the hub that I have in hand and use the twist grip shifter via a hubbub adapter, even though it's ugly.

I've test fit the Velocity Deep V's from my other bike, and I like the look, and there's definitely room for a 25 on there, which is what I plan to use (probably Schwalbe Marathons). I suspect that even a 28 would work just fine. I have put thousands of city and touring miles on 23's and have no concerns about the comfort factor of 23-25's.

As far as the spacing is concerned, right now it's at 125mm, and the hub is very close to 115mm wide. I'm going to leave it up to my builder to decide whether to use spacers, cold set the frame, or both.
Whereabouts do you live? In the PNW, 90% of the city bikes I see have fenders. In the SF Bay Area, maybe 10%. Fenders are always a good idea, but if you're in an area with minimal rain, might not be that important.
Old 04-02-16, 02:18 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

I looked around and found your bike. It looks really wonderful:
Well, thank you very much. It's nice when people appreciate something you built.

Is the orange bike in Dan's post yours? If it is, I have a great suggestion for fenders:

Custom Compound Curve

I've used these on two bikes now - the blue one you like has what they call a "Chopped Chort" fender on the rear; just enough to protect me from the dreaded skunk stripe.

For yours, a set of compound curve fenders would do nicely. They are relatively light weight, and really make a bike stand out. (No affiliation, I just like them.)
Old 04-04-16, 11:46 AM
Syscrush

Is the orange bike in Dan's post yours? If it is, I have a great suggestion for fenders:
Yes, that's my bike. I've posted a few photos to this thread, too. I'll add some more soon with the updated shifter.

As for fenders, I decided against them. I've learned to live with the fact that I'm basically a fair-weather rider. Thanks for the pointer, though - those are really amazing-looking and would be right at home on a nice vintage build.
Old 04-04-16, 11:47 AM
Syscrush

I'm keeping this bike, but from now on it'll be my fitness/touring bike. Dan built a very nice "old fat dad" bike for me to use for commuting, running errands, and riding around with the baby. I'm happy with my new city bike and will make a thread for it soon.
Here's the promised thread for Pinky: Surly 1x1 with 26" slicks and Alfine 8.
Old 10-01-19, 12:18 PM
Syscrush

I have a Jamis Sputnik that I haven't ridden since having this bike built, and I think I'll have the 2x5 drivetrain swapped over to it, and use that as my city bike (set up with riser bars instead of the current bullhorn).

The Gios will then get either an Alfine 11 Di2 setup, a Campy Centaur or SRAM Rival groupset, or a new owner.
Well, it took a while, but this week the Sputnik got the 2x5 IGH drivetrain, and the Gios got a new owner.

My dadbike (Surly 1x1 26'er with Alfine 8) became my city bike, and I basically stopped doing real fitness rides when the kids came. But I needed a bike for training again, so Dan swapped the drivetrain and wheels onto the Sputnik, and fit some drop bars as well, and I'm back to having a workable training bike again.

I loved that Gios, and was hoping that it wouldn't sell, but there was a ton of interest in the frameset, and it went the day after I posted it.
Likes For Syscrush: