Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

HEY! New bike in the stable. 1973 Raleigh International.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 12:05 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Hey guys, It's been a while. 2020 was a lean year for new bicycles for me. The collection didn't grow much. I did finally purchase a 1973 Raleigh International. Its in great shape. I love the Capella lugs on it. Please check it out!

Old 11-12-20, 12:05 PM
jjhabbs 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiY6...KAu1Egl4AaABAg
Old 11-12-20, 12:19 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Wow, beautiful...
Old 11-12-20, 12:20 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Beautiful! Except for the anodized rims, it looks very original and unmolested as well. Even the Brooks Pro is in great shape after nearly 50 years. So many Internationals have been parted-out it is great to see one, especially with the one year only Capella lugs, as it was first built. Congratulations on your find!
Old 11-12-20, 12:43 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Great looking bike. One of these days I'm going to have to find someone to loan me a Raleigh for a few weeks so I can find out what all the hubbub is about.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-12-20, 12:49 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Very nice. My '74 is champagne also, big fan of the color.
Old 11-12-20, 12:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
it's so.....beautiful

i think the ano'd rims are working with the color thing. even better were they tall flange record hubs, but ....so what. congratulations!
Old 11-12-20, 01:12 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by daka
Beautiful! Except for the anodized rims, it looks very original and unmolested as well. Even the Brooks Pro is in great shape after nearly 50 years. So many Internationals have been parted-out it is great to see one, especially with the one year only Capella lugs, as it was first built. Congratulations on your find!
Im with you. I have some period correct Nisi rims that I'm going to put on You can see them in the video that I posted below the OP>

Thanks

JJ
Old 11-12-20, 01:15 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Great looking bike. One of these days I'm going to have to find someone to loan me a Raleigh for a few weeks so I can find out what all the hubbub is about.
Honestly I dont think its the performance that creates the hubbub. I think its the artwork of the lugs. The nostalgic feelings when we see a bike we wanted when we were younger. They are nice bikes, comfortable etc. But riding one probably wont convince you to go out and get one. Just my humble opin.

JJ
Old 11-12-20, 01:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Honestly I dont think its the performance that creates the hubbub. I think its the artwork of the lugs. The nostalgic feelings when we see a bike we wanted when we were younger. They are nice bikes, comfortable etc. But riding one probably wont convince you to go out and get one. Just my humble opin.
I'm sure the nostalgia plays a part for some people. I know it's why @gugie has around a dozen Gran(d) Sport(s) in the Atelier at any given time. For me, it's more about the comfort and the beauty. In terms of comfort, In my experience the upper range of Raleighs are smooth and all-day comfortable. Sort of like ancient ancestors of modern Surlys. The Raleighs feel less overbuilt than Surlys. They don't have quite as much tire clearance or all the convenient braze-ons, but the ride is better and compared to a lot of vintage bikes, they do have pretty good tire clearance.

But honestly, the real draw for me with the International is the chrome lugs. I'm a sucker for chrome lugs. I prefer the Nervex, but the Capella are certainly more distinctive and I don't think I've ever seen them on an International before.
Old 11-12-20, 03:54 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
The Intl is built with relatively relaxed frame angles and a low bottom bracket, plus fully DB 531 frame make for a comfortable rider. If you’re used to crit geometry with skinny hard tires, it’ll feel like a comfort cruiser.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-12-20, 04:19 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The Intl is built with relatively relaxed frame angles and a low bottom bracket, plus fully DB 531 frame make for a comfortable rider. If you’re used to crit geometry with skinny hard tires, it’ll feel like a comfort cruiser.
It's worth noting that the International frame set evolved throughout the early 1970s. As far as I can tell, the 1970-'72 models literally carried over the 1969 Competition frame set with a much racier geometry and in particular rather straight fork blades that mirrored those of the Professional Mk. II through early Mk. IV, and in 1973 both models got more fork rake before the Professional picked up straighter blades again, while the International remained relaxed from there on out. Another telling feature of the early Internationals (which they shared with the '69 Competition) is that the larger sizes had top tube lengths of 23", versus the 22.5" that would become standard by the mid-'70s for nearly all of the Raleigh Carlton models.

jjhabbs Lovely bike! I prefer the nervex lugs as well but the unique nature of the '73 models and the fact that the capella lugs are chromed (which was seldom seen after the mid-60s) is always a treat to behold!

Out of curiosity, and for the sake of science, it would be neat to have the center-to-top and center-to-center measurements for the seat and top tubes on this example, as '73 was clearly something of a transitional year for Raleigh Carlton.

-Gregory
Old 11-12-20, 05:20 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
Very nice looking bike. Someday when life gets back to normal, we can do a Raleigh ride.
Likes For 76SLT:
Old 11-12-20, 05:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
It's worth noting that the International frame set evolved throughout the early 1970s. As far as I can tell, the 1970-'72 models literally carried over the 1969 Competition frame set with a much racier geometry and in particular rather straight fork blades that mirrored those of the Professional Mk. II through early Mk. IV, and in 1973 both models got more fork rake before the Professional picked up straighter blades again, while the International remained relaxed from there on out. Another telling feature of the early Internationals (which they shared with the '69 Competition) is that the larger sizes had top tube lengths of 23", versus the 22.5" that would become standard by the mid-'70s for nearly all of the Raleigh Carlton models.

-Gregory
My Intl is a ‘71 and doesn’t meet your specs as it’s fairly slack. I have the frame angles written down somewhere, but, iirc, seat tube is 72 and head tube is 71. It had a fair amount of fork rake, too, though @gugie played around with that when he converted it to 650b.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-12-20, 05:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
My Intl is a ‘71 and doesn’t meet your specs as it’s fairly slack. I have the frame angles written down somewhere, but, iirc, seat tube is 72 and head tube is 71. It had a fair amount of fork rake, too, though @gugie played around with that when he converted it to 650b.
For my '69 Competition, I've recorded the seat tube angle as 71.7 and the head tube as 72.5. It's also got very long chainstays -- 450mm. The fork is kind of straight, I guess. I've got the trail recorded as 58.1. It definitely doesn't feel like a race bike.
Old 11-12-20, 05:54 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
My Intl is a ‘71 and doesn’t meet your specs as it’s fairly slack. I have the frame angles written down somewhere, but, iirc, seat tube is 72 and head tube is 71...
The frame angles sound correct to me, and were obviously more slack than the upright Raleigh Professional models beginning with the Mk. II - I was referring more to the fork. Here's a green '71 that's for sale on eBay right now, and a copper '74 for comparison, and you can see what I'm talking about. I've owned a '74 frame and have the same fork on another bike right now as well, and the rake is clearly more defined than the earlier Internationals. And finally the 1969 Competition that became the first-generation International is shown. The fork crown was just about the first thing to change, but you'll note that the nice wrap-around seat stays remained intact for the model transition! Based on my research asking several owners of these frames, the '69 Competition with its 23" top tube is identical to the '70 and '71 Internationals I've encountered. But I'm only talking about the 24.5" frame size for comparison's sake.

(EDIT: Sorry the photos are so large on-screen. Didn't mean to take up a bunch of space with that!)

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 11-12-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 07:54 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
++ That's for sure! I took one of my first rides on my '71 with noglider at his secret mountain hideaway. My reflexes were informed by a couple of decades or riding my Mercian Pro with its upright geometry, shorter wheelbase and fast steering. Came up to a little bit of bad pavement and - surprise - a minor shift of body weight wasn't enough to slip around and I sailed right into it. Tom says: "What happened there?" Sheepish me: "I guess takes more input to go around something with this bike!" I've fully adjusted, and it sure is more forgiving on less-than-smooth surfaces, including trails and gravel. jjhabbs that's a lovely specimen you got. Enjoy!

Likes For ascherer:
Old 11-12-20, 08:39 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@jjhabbs, classy bike in a classy color! Love it!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-12-20, 08:42 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 486 Posts
Beautiful. I have a strong affection for Internationals. I owned one for any years; I toured all through Europe, New England, and the Western US on it and even did a little racing, but it was destroyed during a tour when I was run down by a pickup truck. I've always wanted to get another but they never seem to show up. The workmanship on these was variable, to say the least. However, the classic chromed Nervex or Capella lugs and "socks", the artful touches such as the wraparound seat stays, the beautiful colors, the subtle "Raleigh" script (at least on the earlier ones) the high flange Campy hubs, and the stretched out touring geometry make for a marvelous package that is incredibly appealing. I do have a later, made in Japan, Raleigh "International", but it is not the same thing and, although a high quality bike, is missing many of these appealing features. I think that I need to start searching for one of these again .
Likes For davester:
Old 11-13-20, 01:48 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
jjhabbs I’m going to guess that in your collection there are likely some other bikes with Nervex Pro Lugs. Actually, if I recall from another one of your videos you have a Chrome 72 Paramount, so that’s one. I think it’s good that you got the Capella version, it helps add some variation...plus those lugs are beautiful! I know in my own collection I’ve got four different bikes with Nervex Pro Lugs and I’m starting to look like a one trick pony. Granted, it’s a good trick, but I tend to look for other types of lugs now.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 11-13-20, 04:40 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
As far as the whole Raleigh fascination I think it is the history and beauty of their bikes. I have a few in my collection and my favorite is the 1977 Competition GS . It is lighter than the International and I think the pro too. It has the Bocama cut out lugs and rides like a dream . My daughter’s Super Grand Prix is a lowerend Raleigh and it rides well too. She has done some really long rides with me and she loves it. Of all my bikes , the Black Competition gets the most comments from people when I am out and about, it really is a lovely bike. Your International has that look with the chrome lugs , very artsy and I hear they ride nicely.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-13-20, 06:29 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
mine has 70 mm of Bottom bracket drop- I do not consider that making a low BB.
75 mm would be
i don’t know of any production bikes lower than 75.
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-13-20, 06:56 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Classy looking ride, there was a too small version of one of those selling here locally just a little while ago.
Old 11-13-20, 06:59 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Beautiful. Will be interested to hear what you think of it after you ride it. I acquired a 1974 (no longer with an original set up, but with a configuration that works very well) from sloar a couple years back. It provides a very spirited ride.
Old 11-13-20, 07:09 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
A great addition to your already stunning collection!
Likes For oddjob2:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.