Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 06:06 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I had one of those FDs and I swear there was a second set of holes. Either that, or you move the pins inside those flanges like mounting a watch band.
Old 11-29-20, 08:22 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Using a watchband as a FD shim, I put the campy one on my '85 Ironman. I'll try the LBS tomorrow for a real one.
Then I rode 18 miles on it today. The weather was damp, cold, windy and dreary...the kind of weather I DISLIKE the most. The ride was Smooth and Stable. Honestly, I was not very excited about the build, maybe because acquiring the '85 meant my hunt for Ironmans has come to an end...IDK. But the ride was so good and got me very excited about this bike. It's so smooth however I'm not sure if it's because of the aluminum fork that RT gave me (thanks RT). Fact is, this is the only Ironman I've been able to ride with no hands!
The campy group was predictably precise and consistent. However it was a bit clunky compared to my other Shimano equipped Ironman. But it's probably due to the very tight spring in the RD. I kept it in the small 39t ring partly because of the makeshift shim but mostly because of the campy 12×23 cassette.
Even though I'll probably never get the campy fully broken in before I get an etap group, I'm still looking forward to putting a lot of miles on this smooth operator.
Waiting on a sunny day (<Bruce Springsteen song title) so l can take some pics of the '85...also After I get a real shim for the campy FD.
BTW, I know we have names for all the Ironman bikes, i.e. classic, hard rock, purple rain..etc. And I've heard some people refer to the '85 as the silver bullet and other names but they call other silver looking bikes silver bullet too. I think we should call it the " O.G." which originally stood for "Original Gangster" but now just means old skool. What y'all think? The Ironman is one of the few model bikes that we know the first year it was introduced and Tha last year it was produced. So I think O.G. is really fitting.

Last edited by texaspandj; 11-29-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-29-20, 09:31 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Using a watchband as a FD shim, I put the campy one on my '85 Ironman. I'll try the LBS tomorrow for a real one.
Then I rode 18 miles on it today. The weather was damp, cold, windy and dreary...the kind of weather I DISLIKE the most. The ride was Smooth and Stable. Honestly, I was not very excited about the build, maybe because acquiring the '85 meant my hunt for Ironmans has come to an end...IDK. But the ride was so good and got me very excited about this bike. It's so smooth however I'm not sure if it's because of the aluminum fork that RT gave me (thanks RT). Fact is, this is the only Ironman I've been able to ride with no hands!
The campy group was predictably precise and consistent. However it was a bit clunky compared to my other Shimano equipped Ironman. But it's probably due to the very tight spring in the RD. I kept it in the small 39t ring partly because of the makeshift shim but mostly because of the campy 12×23 cassette.
Even though I'll probably never get the campy fully broken in before I get an etap group, I'm still looking forward to putting a lot of miles on this smooth operator.
Waiting on a sunny day (<Bruce Springsteen song title) so l can take some pics of the '85...also After I get a real shim for the campy FD.
BTW, I know we have names for all the Ironman bikes, i.e. classic, hard rock, purple rain..etc. And I've heard some people refer to the '85 as the silver bullet and other names but they call other silver looking bikes silver bullet too. I think we should call it the " O.G." which originally stood for "Original Gangster" but now just means old skool. What y'all think? The Ironman is one of the few model bikes that we know the first year it was introduced and Tha last year it was produced. So I think O.G. is really fitting.
A watch band shim! I'll have to remember that in case I get in a tight spot. OG might be the name. Others will have to chime in with their thoughts. "What up, G?" is a phrase I still use around my kids to act cool and irritate them. It stems from that Wayan's parody movie when the 64 comes around the corner and starts bouncing up and down and doing tricks. I think the license plate reads OG. It pulls up and the driver is Grandma! She's the OG. I get a big laugh every time I see it. Here's the video. Just a warning, though. It's got a racist slur, so watch it at your own risk. Mods, delete it if you need to.

https://youtu.be/Gk9AvJi20T4

Last edited by seypat; 11-29-20 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 07:08 AM
texaspandj

I picked up a Proper FD take off shim yesterday from the LBS. It worked perfectly. So now my '85 "OG" is done. Hopefully pics today. The bike itself doesn't really pop with color but the ride is really something good. Could it be the Aluminum forks? I think putting the '85 through it's paces will help me determine.
One thing of note is, when I bought the frame with it's mismatch fork I knew it was a gamble. Besides determining if it had been in a head on collision (it wasn't), I knew it would be difficult to source a good fork. Fortunately RT came to the rescue. The fork is off a Centurion Carbon (Australian issue), so that eases the disappointment of the missing stock fork some. Also it has passed through the hands of Qvong? and Robbie Tunes so even better...but the kicker is the ride, it leaves me little desire for the original fork. Also the fork is polished and looks like a chrome fork and we all know how seypat loves him some shiney...and it's growing on me.
It's been cold and dreary here in CenTex but hopefully the sun will come out for a good pic of my NEW '85 today.
Old 12-01-20, 09:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

^^^. We all know Patrick is easily occupied.

If he’s passing you....”look, a squirrel!”
Old 12-01-20, 12:27 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
^^^. We all know Patrick is easily occupied.

If he’s passing you....”look, a squirrel!”
The box arrived. Going through it now.
Old 12-01-20, 12:41 PM
seypat

I picked up a Proper FD take off shim yesterday from the LBS. It worked perfectly. So now my '85 "OG" is done. Hopefully pics today. The bike itself doesn't really pop with color but the ride is really something good. Could it be the Aluminum forks? I think putting the '85 through it's paces will help me determine.
One thing of note is, when I bought the frame with it's mismatch fork I knew it was a gamble. Besides determining if it had been in a head on collision (it wasn't), I knew it would be difficult to source a good fork. Fortunately RT came to the rescue. The fork is off a Centurion Carbon (Australian issue), so that eases the disappointment of the missing stock fork some. Also it has passed through the hands of Qvong? and Robbie Tunes so even better...but the kicker is the ride, it leaves me little desire for the original fork. Also the fork is polished and looks like a chrome fork and we all know how seypat loves him some shiney...and it's growing on me.
It's been cold and dreary here in CenTex but hopefully the sun will come out for a good pic of my NEW '85 today.
Never underestimate the power of shiny. As much as I like the Iris color on the 83 Turbo, the chrome fork takes it to another level. In fact, it caused me to assign it the nickname of the "Chosen One."
The 86 red/white IM is the "Beater."
The 87 MV Asian market IM is "Cyrus" cause it's the one and only.
The black 84 Turbo that just arrived from RT will be christened "Tom Cody." When it's finished it will be a bada$$ like Tom Cody. Nuff said.

Last edited by seypat; 12-01-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 01:20 PM
texaspandj

I don't know who Tom Cody is but it reminded me of this:
Old 12-01-20, 02:36 PM
seypat

I don't know who Tom Cody is but it reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkccqolaVGg
Those are references to movies that everyone should see once in their lives. Tom Cody is the hero/star of Streets of Fire.
Cyrus is the "one and only" Warlord who gets killed and starts the journey of the Warriors back to Coney Island in The Warriors.
I didn't put in a reference to Jack Burton or 6 demon bags, because Burton was the comedy relief in Big Trouble In Little China. Those 3 movies are cult classics from the late 70s/80s that RT and I talk about from time to time. Hence the frame from RT being called Tom Cody.

Likes For seypat:
Old 12-01-20, 03:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Streets of Fire...Cody’s little group.

His former girl was the hottie rock star.
His sidekick had her own tough appeal.
And his sister....don’t get me started.

There was a reason I bought it on VHS, and then Beta, and then DVD...,
Old 12-01-20, 03:20 PM
seypat

Diane Lane out jetted Joan Jett!
There is something about Debra Van Valkenburg. Not sure what exactly, but something. Maybe it's the outfit in the Warriors.
You get to see a young Kim Katrall in Big Trouble In Little China. Not to the extent as in Porkys, though.
I have all 3 on VHS and DVD.

Last edited by seypat; 12-01-20 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 03:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
Diane Lane out jetted Joan Jett!
There is something about Debra Van Valkenburg. Not sure what exactly, but something. Maybe it's the outfit in the Warriors.
You get to see a young Kim Katrall in Big Trouble In Little China. Not to the extent as in Porkys, though.
I have all 3 on VHS and DVD.
Not going there.
Old 12-01-20, 03:37 PM
texaspandj

I saw Warriors at the theater and I have the DVD, also I've seen big trouble in little China. But I've never seen streets of fire

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-01-20 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 04:21 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Streets of Fire is a "classic"....like VHS and 8-track.

Best, Ben
Old 12-01-20, 06:00 PM
texaspandj

I had a post about my '85 Ironman but it didn't save and wouldn't let me post a pic. However here's a poor pic from my phone of my '85 O.G.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 12-01-20, 06:41 PM
seypat

I had a post about my '85 Ironman but it didn't save and wouldn't let me post a pic. However here's a poor pic from my phone of my '85 O.G.
I think it looks sharp with that fork.
Old 12-02-20, 11:30 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts

You know, if you had drilled two pins out of the VHS copy, you could have fitted into your Beta player.
Old 12-02-20, 11:39 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by madpogue
You know, if you had drilled two pins out of the VHS copy, you could have fitted into your Beta player.
Didn't know that.
My VHS was "stereo."
The Beta was HiFi, back when speakers were speakers.
The DVD sounds better, of course, on sat/subs in 5.1, but I miss the days of BIG WHOMPING SPEAKERS.

Chris Farley should have lent his name to huge speakers. They'd have sold a ton.

"Dude, we jammed last night. bootleg, Firetown opened, then BoDeans, live, on Farleys."

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-02-20 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-02-20, 11:46 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by johnlink
I remember hearing that Centurion went out of business after losing a large uninsured shipment of bikes when a ship sunk in the ocean. Do anyone know anything about that?
No clue. Maybe their bikes are in Baltimore Harbor with Little Feat's masters.
Centurion decided to put their eggs in the MTB basket.
They had nothing to follow up the Ironman, not sure they even tried.
The Diamondback Podium is a pretty nice bike, though.
Old 12-02-20, 03:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've heard varying tales of why Centurion didn't follow through and capitalize on the Ironman. I suspect it was just the usual complacency -- not keeping up with trends, neglecting innovations. They had a solid mid-tier bike with the Ironman and could have followed through with aluminum and eventually carbon fiber.

Which they finally did do with the excellent Podium lineup around 2010 or so. I have a 2011 Diamondback Podium 5 frame, currently built up with a mish mash of older 7 and 8 speed components. It doesn't suit me quite as well as the Ironman and Trekenstein 5900 OCLV (basically just a carbon fiber framed steel bike at heart). The Podium is a nice bike though. But not any faster than my Ironman. Alas, the engine is always the limitation.

Mostly I like the lighter carbon fiber frame for carrying the bike uphill.
Old 12-02-20, 05:00 PM
seypat

Wasn't there some kind of yen to dollar problem starting around 1990? I think I read that's why Miyata pulled out of the US market.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-02-20, 08:28 PM
texaspandj

I always thought it was because Dave Scott, (per his percentage contract), ended up making more than the executives, so they ended the Ironman line. However in 90, 91 he was riding Diamond Back but no signature model. The person who May know is fleslider .

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-02-20 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 12:31 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
No, never had one.
But I'm keeping an eye out for a 58cm mostly because the passion you and others have for this model is more infectious than SARS-CoV-2.
They really are a sweet ride. I don't think I'll ever part with mine! Definitely worth it if you find one you like the looks of.

Likes For AustinFitz:
Old 12-03-20, 10:39 AM
seypat

These just showed up. The washers/spacers are shiny. Awesome! The Turbo Tom Cody is getting closer to that Frankenstein moment.

Last edited by seypat; 12-03-20 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-03-20, 11:03 AM
seypat

Didn't know that.
My VHS was "stereo."
The Beta was HiFi, back when speakers were speakers.
The DVD sounds better, of course, on sat/subs in 5.1, but I miss the days of BIG WHOMPING SPEAKERS.

Chris Farley should have lent his name to huge speakers. They'd have sold a ton.

"Dude, we jammed last night. bootleg, Firetown opened, then BoDeans, live, on Farleys."

Sweet emoji, BTW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.