Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which bike to get!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which bike to get!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 08:33 PM
rgodaba

Bikes: Tunturi 500R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which bike to get!

Hi all, this forum has been extremely helpful for a noob biker like me to understand a lot of topics that I am new to. I am currently shopping around for a used road bike, with a budget of ~$100. I have scoured all of what Facebook marketplace offers as well as CL. These are the options I have found that I liked, but would love your feedback. I attempted to post photos but I am a new poster so maybe I can PM them to y'all if you have any suggestions!

1. Schwinn Continental '73 ($40, looks original another is $90 with I think new tires)
2. 1987 Nishiki Modulus SRT ($100, probably will have to change tires)
3. Schwinn le tour ($50 looks like I might get lucky with the parts, seems like it was maintained)
4. Tunturi 500R ($70- new tires, tune-up last year)

I am looking for something to just cruise around in and the occasional days I skip out on my runs, to put in 10-15 miles on a trail or on flat roads. Nothing crazy, just something to have that looks cool, works well and is worth the buck!
Old 04-21-21, 08:53 PM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rgodaba
Hi all, this forum has been extremely helpful for a noob biker like me to understand a lot of topics that I am new to. I am currently shopping around for a used road bike, with a budget of ~$100. I have scoured all of what Facebook marketplace offers as well as CL. These are the options I have found that I liked, but would love your feedback. I attempted to post photos but I am a new poster so maybe I can PM them to y'all if you have any suggestions!

1. Schwinn Continental '73 ($40, looks original another is $90 with I think new tires)
2. 1987 Nishiki Modulus SRT ($100, probably will have to change tires)
3. Schwinn le tour ($50 looks like I might get lucky with the parts, seems like it was maintained)
4. Tunturi 500R ($70- new tires, tune-up last year)

I am looking for something to just cruise around in and the occasional days I skip out on my runs, to put in 10-15 miles on a trail or on flat roads. Nothing crazy, just something to have that looks cool, works well and is worth the buck!
Wow, That’s a pretty tall order, many tire pairs run more then $100. Im not too familiar with older bikes, but consider that you probably should know how to maintain it or you might spend a lot more.

Maybe someone can chime in with more knowledge but my buddy has many vintage race bikes and if it rains it sounded like he has to do significant service to the groupset

Anyway with the tires, A lot of tires have wear indicators, little holes in the tire to judge if they need to be replaced
Old 04-22-21, 05:31 AM
rgodaba

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grouperdawg
Wow, That’s a pretty tall order, many tire pairs run more then $100. Im not too familiar with older bikes, but consider that you probably should know how to maintain it or you might spend a lot more.

Maybe someone can chime in with more knowledge but my buddy has many vintage race bikes and if it rains it sounded like he has to do significant service to the groupset

Anyway with the tires, A lot of tires have wear indicators, little holes in the tire to judge if they need to be replaced
got it! I’m really leaning towards the tunturi as it seems like it’s the one that’s been maintained the most!

thank you for the information though, I’ll be on the look out for those indicators
Old 04-22-21, 08:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
The Schwinn Continental is probably a one-piece crankset and you wont find many pedals to fit that don't look like kiddy pedals. Certainly it will nix you ever putting clipless pedals on it easily. Probably a 27" tire too which are difficult to find decent choices in. And likely chromed steel rims which might raise your hair on the back of your neck when you try to stop with moist brake pads.

I don't know anything about the other bikes, but if that is your price range, get the one that fits you the best and make sure everything works. Those bargain prices won't be a bargain if you have to fix things. Check the tire size on them. They possibly could be 27" though things were changing then.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-22-21 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-22-21, 11:43 AM
rgodaba

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I've heard some stories about the continental from a neighbor....thinking about dropping the idea of an old Schwinn given everything that comes along with it. Like you said though, I'll definitely look out for the tire size. I found a very nice post about the tunturi on here
(titled- eucarya's Tunturi Build user- eucarya) and it looks like they've got 29" wheels.

Thanks for the input though, will definitely make sure I ride and check that stuff works
Old 04-22-21, 03:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Which one fits the best and is in the best condition? A road bike for under 100 is a tough one unless it is in rough shape or low quality or sometimes both.
Old 04-24-21, 05:11 PM
rgodaba

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up the Tunturi 500R today y'all! Thank you for all your input, thankfully the tires were brand spankin new. Rides well too! Just need to get used to the downtube shifters, do some minor paint job fixes and I'll be good to ride!
Likes For rgodaba:
Old 04-24-21, 05:24 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by rgodaba
Picked up the Tunturi 500R today y'all! Thank you for all your input, thankfully the tires were brand spankin new. Rides well too! Just need to get used to the downtube shifters, do some minor paint job fixes and I'll be good to ride!
Good on you! Those are probably 27" tires and you won't have many choices, but since they're new, they'll last you a long time. You'll also get used to the shifters in short order. I find when I ride my newer bike with 105's I'm shifting all the time, but when I ride my vintage bike, I consciously think about shifting because I have to reach for the knob, but I find it every time. Good luck with your new baby!
Likes For Bigbus: