Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Old 03-25-16, 08:30 AM
vinnyvincent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aceldama
Good point.

I think the big benefit of the Element and the Transit to a cyclist is that you can fit a complete bike (most) inside without disassembly. There are few vehicles that can pull this off. I don't know if the OP requires this.

After purchasing my first pickup truck I'm unlikely to go back to anything else. It's just too useful. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune when gas prices go back to $5/gal.
Now that you mention it that's a great feature. In my 2007 honda fit, I could fit a full size bike on it's side in the back with the seats folded down. Pretty awesome for such a little car. 33mpg in the city too and that was back when it was a 5 spd automatic.

I love trucks, but my commute is too long for owning one to be practical.
Old 03-25-16, 08:49 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
1) you feel a DCT shift similarly to a manual. It doesn't feel like a slush box. So many people expecting an automatic transmission that feels like what they're used to complain about it.

2) Google anything and you'll find people complaining about it.

3) I know from personal experience, and following the brand closely the PDK is very reliable for Porsche.
4) One reason Ferrari, and Mclaren use DCT is because they are very durable and capable of handling high loads.

If a DCT can handle 560hp violently unleashed in repeated launch control starts on 911 Turbo S, it can handle an econo box with reliability.
hold on, I seriously doubt that a DCT in a Ferrari is the same as in a Fiesta! I'm sure the Fiesta unit is a cheap inferior version of the Ferrari version and thus may not hold up as well even in a Fiesta. This like trying to tell people that the Fiesta will keep up with a Ferrari in performance...highly doubtful of course, and so it is highly doubtful that the Fiesta DCT is equal in durability to a Ferrari DCT. Not all DCT's are created equal.
Old 03-25-16, 08:57 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
After purchasing my first pickup truck I'm unlikely to go back to anything else. It's just too useful. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune when gas prices go back to $5/gal.
I would just buy what you enjoy. If someone is concerned about fuel economy and avoids the vehicle they really want within reason, that's a shame. Assuming you drive 10,000 annually the difference in fuel consumed between a 20 mpg vehicle and one getting 30 mpg is 167 gallons.
Old 03-25-16, 09:01 AM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
hold on, I seriously doubt that a DCT in a Ferrari is the same as in a Fiesta! I'm sure the Fiesta unit is a cheap inferior version of the Ferrari version and thus may not hold up as well even in a Fiesta. This like trying to tell people that the Fiesta will keep up with a Ferrari in performance...highly doubtful of course, and so it is highly doubtful that the Fiesta DCT is equal in durability to a Ferrari DCT. Not all DCT's are created equal.
Not only that but people buy a ferrari for a much different reason than they buy a fiesta. What's good in a ferrari might not be good for someone trying to save money on cost of ownership.
Old 03-25-16, 09:04 AM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I would just buy what you enjoy. If someone is concerned about fuel economy and avoids the vehicle they really want within reason, that's a shame. Assuming you drive 10,000 annually the difference in fuel consumed between a 20 mpg vehicle and one getting 30 mpg is 167 gallons.
So if you drive the car for 100,000 miles, that's a 1,670 gallon difference. At 3 dollar a gallon(which it will surpass that again, make no mistake) that's 5 grand. That's a 25% cost difference with a 20,000 dollar car and an 50% difference with a 10,000 dollar car.
Old 03-25-16, 09:08 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Is the Crosstrek based on the Impreza frame? It must be. Anyway, it seems to be holding up well and has a solid AWD system. The space between fenders and tires is good. It helps mud/snow not jam everything up and clear out easily. While it will not be as composed or quiet as a Forester or Outback, it looks good. My buddy drove several and liked them but opted for the Outback (his second one) due to the space. He is a photographer and sleeps in his vehicle a lot. I was not a big fan of Subarus till I owned one. That 2006 Forester was bulletproof and took me practically everywhere. The Crosstrek will be similar and should be reliable. If I had to buy one, I'd likely buy the Forester again but that is the absolute smallest vehicle I can handle. Heck, they even start around $21,000 new.
Old 03-25-16, 09:11 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
OP here...

I also looked at a few CRV's in my price range but what caught my eye was a Subaru XV Crosstrek. This is the actual car.

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium in Town Center, GA- 12998021 at carmax.com

They have a funky look, especially with all the space between the tires and fenders. Not sure how I feel about it. What I do like is that it is simple inside, doesn't have tons of gadgets, bells and whistles. I really don't like all that stuff - satellite radio and navigation systems. I prefer a simple car. I didn't drive it, was just browsing the lot.

So, do any of you guys know anything about the Crosstrek?

This is a 2013, the first year they made it. I always thought it wasn't a good idea to buy a car from the first model year.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who knows something about these.

-Tim-
As stated before, I am in the same situation like you. Looking to buy a car, and ease of bike transport is one of the features I am looking for, so a hatchback is a must.

I looked at the Crosstrek, and it had the same problem most crossovers have: they give very few benefits over their normal hatchback counterparts. The Crosstrek is basically the same car as the Impreza. Same engine, wheelbase, interiors, etc.. The only difference is the the Crosstrek is higher off the ground. Are those 2-3" worth $2-3K more for the same car? The Crosstrek looks bigger, but it is not.

Looking at the specs between the two at Compare Cars Side-by-Side. Make sure to compare specific styles for additional metrics. The Impreza actually has more Luggage volume than the Crosstrek. That said, the Crosstrek is a nice looking car.

I am not getting a Subaru because I have no need for an AWD here in Southern California. Also, the Impreza is underpowered for cars in its class. I wish I could find a similar car with the same reliability as Subaru, just without the AWD. Too bad there is a bias against hatchbacks and especially wagons here in the US.

Direct link to the comparision: https://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USC60SUS091A0

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 03-25-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-25-16, 09:14 AM
Aceldama

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
As stated before, I am in the same situation like you. Looking to buy a car, and ease of bike transport is one of the features I am looking for, so a hatchback is a must.

I looked at the Crosstrek, and it had the same problem most crossovers have: they give very few benefits over their normal hatchback counterparts. The Crosstrek is basically the same car as the Impreza. Same engine, wheelbase, interiors, etc.. The only difference is the the Crosstrek is higher off the ground. Are those 2-3" worth $2-3K more for the same car? The Crosstrek looks bigger, but it is not.

Looking at the specs between the two at Compare Cars Side-by-Side. Make sure to compare specific styles for additional metrics. The Impreza actually has more Luggage volume than the Crosstrek. That said, the Crosstrek is a nice looking car.

I am not getting a Subaru because I have no need for an AWD here in Southern California? Also, the Impreza is underpowered for cars in its class. I wish I could find a similar car with the same reliability as Subaru, just without the AWD. Too bad there is a bias against hatchbacks and especially wagons here in the US.
You might want to consider a Mazda 3 hatch if you haven't already.
Old 03-25-16, 09:18 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Good point.

I think the big benefit of the Element and the Transit to a cyclist is that you can fit a complete bike (most) inside without disassembly. There are few vehicles that can pull this off. I don't know if the OP requires this.

Actually, a Prius with the seats folded can take a full road bike, wheels attached. And is definitely the winner if mpg is a primary concern.
Old 03-25-16, 09:24 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
So if you drive the car for 100,000 miles, that's a 1,670 gallon difference. At 3 dollar a gallon(which it will surpass that again, make no mistake) that's 5 grand. That's a 25% cost difference with a 20,000 dollar car and an 50% difference with a 10,000 dollar car.
Most new cars are in the $20-40k range. If you're talking about used, reliability and repair cost can quickly trump savings over fuel economy.

The real question is the assumption about 10k mi/year. The US average is ~15kmi/yr and there are people who easily exceed 25k/yr. If you're in the <10k mi/yr category, and care about fuel economy you should be considering a plug-in car, which would primarily use electricity.
Old 03-25-16, 09:26 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
You might want to consider a Mazda 3 hatch if you haven't already.
It is one of my top choices right now. Mazda is another example of the Crossover madness: the CX3 actually has less room than the Mazda3. It looks bigger, but it is not. Mazda also makes a wagon, just not for the US. Don't need an SUV, but a wagon would be perfect.
Old 03-25-16, 09:31 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
The Subaru AWD is the best AWD car on the market,...
No. This is

Old 03-25-16, 09:31 AM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Most new cars are in the $20-40k range. If you're talking about used, reliability and repair cost can quickly trump savings over fuel economy.

The real question is the assumption about 10k mi/year. The US average is ~15kmi/yr and there are people who easily exceed 25k/yr. If you're in the <10k mi/yr category, and care about fuel economy you should be considering a plug-in car, which would primarily use electricity.
I disagree with both points here.
If you're buying a used car and reliability is a concern, that would be a great reason NOT to get a dual clutch, or even an automatic of any kind.

And with a plug in car the same goes for it as the dual clutch. To offset the additional higher purchase price, you'd have to drive the car for over 100,000 miles to realize any savings. With an electric car you'd be looking at replacing the battery at that point(over 10,000 dollars)
Maybe one day soon when the purchase price is comparable, but right now it's too much higher to realistically say you are saving any money.
Old 03-25-16, 01:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by gsa103
Actually, a Prius with the seats folded can take a full road bike, wheels attached. And is definitely the winner if mpg is a primary concern.
Subaru Impreza seats fold down too as do most modern sedans.
Old 03-25-16, 01:13 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by mpath
No. This is

I would put big money on a race in 4 inches of deep soft snow that any Subaru will beat that Porsche hands down, I would bet the same on ice.
Old 03-25-16, 01:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
hold on, I seriously doubt that a DCT in a Ferrari is the same as in a Fiesta.

No doubt. But the point is there are significant advantages to DCT's that make the performance choice for both track times in the case of the Ferrari, and fuel efficiency I the case of fiesta's and VWs
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-25-16, 01:43 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

I would put big money on a race in 4 inches of deep soft snow that any Subaru will beat that Porsche hands down, I would bet the same on ice.
Sure with summer tires. But several things you might want to consider before you put money on it. 1) that is a 4S, I.e all wheel drive (2), the design of a 911 is good for the snow, with lots of weight over the driven wheels, 3) 911's have won a number of off road rally's, including Dakar twice, 4) Porsch does winter driving schools in the Artic circle, teaching performance driving in 911's on snow and ice.

Let me put winter tires on a 4s, and you in a Forester, and I'll race you for pink slips.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 03-25-16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 01:50 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

That's a shocker

How did they fix it? By telling people they over hyped it and they should lower their expectations?
The problem was they sold it to people wanting an automatic, expecting it to feel like the torque converter slush box they're used to. They didn't sell it as what it a computer actuated clutch transmission, which feels different than a traditional automatic.

The fix was taking care of some glitches, mostly improving the shift algorithm , and explains to customers what they were getting.

The irony here is that people like who like manuals are likely to be much more happy with a DCT, than the people who bought it because they don't like manuals and want an automatic.
Old 03-25-16, 02:19 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
As someone who owns a 911 AND a forester XT... all I can say is that this thread is soooo far off the rails its pointless.

Which one to I take when I need to haul the bike? Duh, the forester...

****!
Old 03-25-16, 02:43 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
You're using a ten year ownership of a car which is on the high side. Think in terms of $500 annually. People can save that much switching to another wireless carrier. But it's what your personal philosophy is about cars. If you want the best economy and an econobox to drive, that's fine. I personally value performance including handling and acceleration and am willing to pay more for that. If I had $10,000 or $20,000 as much limit, the car would be an older performance model.
Old 03-25-16, 03:25 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Too much to keep up with so I'll pick a few. Really appreciate the banter, even if it does go off the rails at times.

Originally Posted by joeyduck
I can only say it is number one on the list for a friend. They like the basics of it, plus a factory roof rack, manual, and a few other things.
Originally Posted by Chandne
Is the Crosstrek based on the Impreza frame? It must be. Anyway, it seems to be holding up well and has a solid AWD system.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I read that they are built on the Impreza chassis. It is actually just an Impreza lifted 3" with different fenders. Reviews say that the 2.0l engine is underpowered. That is a concern but my Focus had a 2.0l and it was pretty peppy. 5 speed probably had something to do with that. I tend to like smaller cars and may drive it Monday. Snow isn't really a problem where I live.

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I am a little late to this thread. Does the OP want to carry the bike(s) inside the vehicle or on the roof or on the rear hitch?
Typically only one bike. Inside would be preferred. I do have a Thule Criterium rack for the roof however and am not opposed using it. Theft is not a concern for me because I only take the bike to and from the ride. Also would like to use it as any average suburban homeowner would - bags of mulch from the garden center, run stuff back and forth to my daughter's dorm, etc.

Good point.

I'm the OP. Pickup truck and Transit van are out of the question. I have a beater truck and don't need a van that big. Putting a single bike inside standing up is not necessary. I've been thinking about an Element though and have yet to do any research on it.
Old 03-25-16, 05:42 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Too much to keep up with so I'll pick a few. Really appreciate the banter, even if it does go off the rails at times.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I read that they are built on the Impreza chassis. It is actually just an Impreza lifted 3" with different fenders. Reviews say that the 2.0l engine is underpowered. That is a concern but my Focus had a 2.0l and it was pretty peppy. 5 speed probably had something to do with that. I tend to like smaller cars and may drive it Monday. Snow isn't really a problem where I live.

Typically only one bike. Inside would be preferred. I do have a Thule Criterium rack for the roof however and am not opposed using it. Theft is not a concern for me because I only take the bike to and from the ride. Also would like to use it as any average suburban homeowner would - bags of mulch from the garden center, run stuff back and forth to my daughter's dorm, etc.

I'm the OP. Pickup truck and Transit van are out of the question. I have a beater truck and don't need a van that big. Putting a single bike inside standing up is not necessary. I've been thinking about an Element though and have yet to do any research on it.
I was just at the Vancouver auto show and I have to be honest I don't like the crosstrek in person. I also overheard people saying it was underpowered too.

The forester was the only one I would go for I think. I didn't look to in depth since I was using my wheelchair with my 9 month old in the front and the five year old running about ready to pop his pants.

My son only said once that he loves a car and it was the $120,000 Maserati Quattroporte.
Old 03-25-16, 09:28 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
No doubt. But the point is there are significant advantages to DCT's that make the performance choice for both track times in the case of the Ferrari, and fuel efficiency I the case of fiesta's and VWs
Sure there would be better track times because the shift happens a lot faster than a person working a manual, and to some degree the economy would be only slightly better than a standard auto due to the lack of a torque converter and internal hydraulic pump, but what's weird about autos is that the CVT trans IS MORE efficient by about 10% in fuel savings than either the DCT or a manual! So why aren't the auto manufactures rushing head on into that type instead of a DCT. A CVT holds the engine at the right RPM be for performance or for economy, problem is they haven't built a CVT yet that can handle a lot of power thus for now that trans is out of the question for use in high performance cars, but they work fine in Fiestas and VW's because they're not performance cars and all they care about is fuel economy.
Old 03-26-16, 04:46 AM
bgrider

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

I recently picked up a 1996 Cherokee that is an "extra" vehicle. I'm thinking that it will be outfitted as my bike hauler. Probably get a roof mount for a couple of bikes so I don't have to mess with folding seats down in the back. I have not checked yet, but I'm pretty sure my bike will fit in the back wheels and all if the seats are down though.
Old 03-26-16, 07:03 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by bgrider
I recently picked up a 1996 Cherokee that is an "extra" vehicle. I'm thinking that it will be outfitted as my bike hauler. Probably get a roof mount for a couple of bikes so I don't have to mess with folding seats down in the back. I have not checked yet, but I'm pretty sure my bike will fit in the back wheels and all if the seats are down though.
I would think it would be more work to put the seats down and back up afterwards then it would be just to remove the front wheel and reinstall it...but that's just me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.