Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Let's hear about your light set-up!!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Let's hear about your light set-up!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 12:06 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
You know what I haven't figured out yet is why no one has coupled a generator with an LED set. No batteries to ever recharge.
Supernova E3 LED headlight and 3 LED taillight.

Schmidt Edelux or B&M IQ Fly/Cyo and Seculight taillight.
Old 11-10-09, 03:24 AM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ay-Up Intermediate + 6 hour battery for day (flashing) and night (high/low)
NightRider UltraPhazer (flashing) at night

One or two PB Superflash for the back, at night.
Old 11-10-09, 08:22 AM
3bikes
VeloFellow

Bikes: Commuter(Specialized Globe 6,IG8), Mountain (Specialized FSR), Road (Felt F55-2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nexus generator hub powering front B&M Halogen Lumotec front light and rear B&M Standlicht rear LED light, additional PlanetBike Super-Flash (black/Clear/Red LEDs), also front CatEye 3 LED OptiCube mounted on handlebars.

Reflector sidewall Nimbus 700x38 tires, Reflector strips on Axiom Columbus trunk bag, Reflector strips on Sonoma (Specialized) shoes, Bright Yellow Pearl Isumi jacket with reflector dots.

So..... Bright constant and flashing front lights, bright constant and flashing rear lights, hi-vis clothing, side reflection and motion (pedaling) reflection.

Now all I have to do is pray someone will look up from their cellphone while driving towards me.

3bikes, LA,CA,USA
Old 11-10-09, 11:07 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Planet Bike Blaze 1w up front

Planet Bike SuperFlash on the rear

and a Princeton Tec Quad headlamp.

I'm good to go.
Old 11-10-09, 09:22 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
heres my simple setup....in the future ill add another headlight...but for now, heres my humble setup:

1974 dynohub
1 lumotec senso
1 seculite seson
(the best feature on this setup is the stand light and senso)

enjoy guys
Old 11-13-09, 07:33 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After years of doing the battery thing—primarily a NiteRider Trail Rat/Night Owl setup—I have changed to a dyno-lighting system for the first time, and I LOVE IT.

After a very wet ride home from work in early September, I found that my just replaced NiteRider 10w bulb was half full of water (it was a really wet ride). That was it; I’d had it. I had earlier seen a lighting discussion on a local alternative-transportation listserv; one of the posters recommended, "Sidewall or hub dynamo-powered lights. They are the way forward. Get a light like the lumotec IQ CYO and you'll DEFINITELY be seen. Might blind a few people, too. And all of that w/o batteries."

For over a month I have been using the LightOn! DynoLight/taillight set up (axle mount for the DynoLight), using the SRAM i-Light D7 hub. Bottom line: I am completely satisfied with this lighting system. My commute route takes me through both well-lit urban areas and MUTs that look like my uncles’ maple-syrup-collecting tractor paths.

I can’t compare this system to other dyno systems. But it’s my personal assessment that the folks at LightOn! have a developed a robust (and well-supported) system in these two little durable, well designed lights. I’m looking forward to less dependency on batteries and many years of worry-free use. I am also happy with the quality (and price) of the i-Light hub.

Last edited by f1xedgear; 12-11-09 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-13-09, 02:13 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forward: Magicshine 900, Light&Motion Arc Li-ion, Dinotte L200, Dinotte L140 Amber.

Rear: Dinotte L140R, Planet Bike Superflash, Vista-Lite 5 LED, red helmet blinkie.

Blue wheel lights.
Old 11-13-09, 02:19 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forward: Magicshine 900, Light&Motion Arc Li-ion, Dinotte L200, Dinotte L140 Amber.

Rear: Dinotte L140R, Planet Bike Superflash, Vista-Lite 5 LED, red helmet blinkie.

Blue wheel lights.
Old 11-16-09, 09:23 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front: Terralux 220 lumen flashlight with a DIY mount from a used tube as well as a Planet Bike Beamer 1 (usually in flashing mode)

Rear: 2x Planet Bike 3 LED Blinkies (one under seat, the other on my backpack)

The Terralux as a headlight has been a great solution, lighting up the dark stretches of the MUP quite nicely. Runs on rechargeable AAs and it only cost $28, including shipping) on eBay...
Old 11-16-09, 09:28 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
The Terralux as a headlight has been a great solution, lighting up the dark stretches of the MUP quite nicely. Runs on rechargeable AAs and it only cost $28, including shipping) on eBay...
Agreed. Most cost efficient light out there that I'm aware of. Works as well as a much more expensive Fenix.

Learned about this of course from the good ole bike forums.