Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why, why, why, why?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why, why, why, why?

Old 12-05-09, 01:27 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Why, why, why, why?

Why is the "Back to the C/V version of the forum? Please?" thread (a closed thread, it's important to note) a sticky? Is this just to rub our noses in "and you can't do anything about it"?

{Scrooge mode on}And why did "Secret Santa" merit sticky-dom? Are we back to the age of burgeoning stickies?{Scrooge mode off}

Why do sticky threads now have a square sticky icon (that does nothing), even though they all have titles beginning with "Sticky: " and they stick to the top of the forum threads page? Is that for the illiterati who "read" BF?

Why does the new "look" include page numbers below a thread title, but the it only goes up to 6, even when the thread may have dozens of pages? Is this the inverse problem heritage as the amp whose knobs don't go up to 11?

Why do some threads have a large blue envelope, and others a large orange envelope? Again the icon does nothing; what's the purpose?

Clueless in NYC,
Old 12-05-09, 01:50 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ah, the Icon legend is at the bottom of the index page for the subforum. Oh, and while I'm remembering discovered things, the "Ignore" list is editable from your profile page (I think Kurt was asking about that). I got nuttin' for the thread count.
Old 12-05-09, 02:09 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Why is the "Back to the C/V version of the forum? Please?" thread (a closed thread, it's important to note) a sticky? Is this just to rub our noses in "and you can't do anything about it"?

Clueless in NYC,
--
Been wondering too, but what makes sense is that Tom S. and pals want to concentrate all the b*tching -- sorry, INPUT -- should be concentrated in one thread, so the mods can actually find and perhaps deal with it. Search don't work too good, ya know.

Can't help you with the rest!

I'm still looking for a response to my complaints about the changes to the Forum Jump feature, which now simply does you the favor of way-too-big-to-use scroll that doesn't even start at the current forum -- PITA!
Old 12-05-09, 02:28 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
--
Been wondering too, but what makes sense is that Tom S. and pals want to concentrate all the b*tching -- sorry, INPUT -- should be concentrated in one thread, so the mods can actually find and perhaps deal with it. Search don't work too good, ya know.
that could have been the case if that thread was not locked...
Old 12-05-09, 03:33 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
that could have been the case if that thread was not locked...
Actually I can't find the old thread where we all enthusiastically commented about the new site. I meant that the mods wanted comments to be put in there, not in various complaint sites in all the various subforums. I didn't notice any other changes.
Old 12-05-09, 04:46 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
The back to the old C&V thread is stickied so another 'this software sucks' thread isnt started like this thread. Its locked because there really isnt anything more to say, I'm sure the mods and IB have overhwhelmed with complaints about the software and have heard everything there is to hear.

There is no doubt in anyones mind that the new software has been a GIANT step backwards. Unfortunatly there's nothing we can do about it.
Old 12-05-09, 08:53 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
There is no doubt in anyones mind that the new software has been a GIANT step backwards. Unfortunatly there's nothing we can do about it.
LOL...when I first started in the IT business a wise old-timer told me that in the back-out section of the change request form you should put "Resignation attached, open in case back-out is required".
Old 12-05-09, 08:54 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I find the navigation so much more "unfriendly" that I am now spending a good bit less time here.
Old 12-05-09, 09:03 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I find the navigation so much more "unfriendly" that I am now spending a good bit less time here.
+1,000,000
Old 12-05-09, 09:51 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
LOL...when I first started in the IT business a wise old-timer told me that in the back-out section of the change request form you should put "Resignation attached, open in case back-out is required".
Heh....

I had made the comment in one thread that had our team turned this obviously untested application loose in a production environment, people would have lost their jobs over it. Seriously - it would have been backed out on day two (if not sooner), blame would have been assigned, and heads would have rolled. I pondered out loud why this "upgrade" wasn't test-bedded and vetted in a non-production environment before being implemented.

I don't wonder any more. Turns out IB owns the s/w in question. Looks like WE'RE the test environment that they're using to tweak the product so that they can sell it to their prospective clients.

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-05-09, 10:43 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Heh....

I had made the comment in one thread that had our team turned this obviously untested application loose in a production environment, people would have lost their jobs over it. Seriously - it would have been backed out on day two (if not sooner), blame would have been assigned, and heads would have rolled. I pondered out loud why this "upgrade" wasn't test-bedded and vetted in a non-production environment before being implemented.

I don't wonder any more. Turns out IB owns the s/w in question. Looks like WE'RE the test environment that they're using to tweak the product so that they can sell it to their prospective clients.
Ah. Sounds like, um, Vista!
Old 12-05-09, 11:25 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Heh....

Seriously BBM! Under no circumstances would I be standing in front of a CIO explaining THIS application. What happened to UAT??? Oops, I guess WE are the testers.
Old 12-06-09, 06:51 AM
slushlover2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with the above posters. The good thing is that I now have much more free time on my hands as I spend much less time here.
Old 12-06-09, 03:01 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The worst part is that as the more knowledgeable, experienced cyclist's leave the forum due to frustration the forum will change from a enjoyable resource for the novice to more of a foo filled troll site. I have learned much in the short time I have been a member but fear that the same thing that happened to the Ebay motors forum will happen here.
Old 12-06-09, 03:30 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
The nature of internet forums is that people come and go for all kinds of reasons. But I sincerely hope that this (admittedly awkward and off-putting) redesign doesn't drive a lot of vets away. I just got here and want to learn!
Old 12-06-09, 03:34 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Somehow, my PC crashed last weekend, and the rebuild, plus the inevitable updates, took a while, but this forum is now working quite well, basically the same as before.
I know that may not be the case for everyone.
Old 12-06-09, 03:35 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Can you imagine the outcry if another paying internet site, let's say flickr, went down as often as this place goes the last 2 weeks? I suspect that the folks who are running this do not realize the responsibilities that come with running a pay site over the internets.

An another thing: Is there any way not to make the "scheduled outages" on prime time ET (5-11PM)? How about in the middle of the night like every other self respecting paying site.

Last edited by EjustE; 12-06-09 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-06-09, 03:39 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Answer to your first question is found in the last post of the thread. Tom redirecting comments, complaints, problems etc to the main thread:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
We really need to try to keep the upgrade commentary in one thread, in where the tech team will be able to find it.

PLease post here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Issues-Thread

or here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...the-New-Format

I'm closing this thread and sticking it with the 2 redirect links.
As far as Secret Santa, I sticked that for the short term so that it would remain visible. I will unsticky it later next week once the PMs go out on who everyone's secret Santa is that choose to participate.

As far as the issues with this new forum software - yes they are many and wide ranging. Please let it be known that none of the Admins or Moderators here on BikeForums had any real part in the decision to move forward with the upgrade. We have however been working very hard to get the problems identified so that the development team can get them fixed. I am just as frustrated as any of you about the issues we have had since the upgrade. I honestly can not think of a single positive that has come out of it thus far, and only hope that in the near future things will get ironed out enough so that we can stop complaining about the software and get back to talking about bikes.

If any member chooses to take a "break" from the forum due to these issues, please PM me with contact information if you wish to be notified when I deem the forum stable enough to return. I'm here for the long haul, though I will admit I have been putting in extra time improving my own cycling website (and forum) in the last several weeks.