Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Joining the family: Just scored an '09 Dahon Mariner

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 09:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts

Well, I'm delighted to be able to be active in another BF sub-forum! It was by chance that I've added this '09 Dahon Mariner to the stable, but after giving it a good look over and cleaning, and logging about 10 miles on it today, I can say that it's really a pretty nice bike.

It's in virtually unused condition and bone-stock, although it does have the Biologic seat post pump, which is is cool. The only obviously degraded item were the rubber handlebar cuffs that keep the handlebar centered while the handle post clamp is loosened. They are dry and cracked, but should be easy to replace.

I rode it about 7-10 miles today, and it rides pretty swell. Little things like flex in the plastic folding pedals and the slightly slow shifting Neos derailleur were minor annoyances that did not stop me from finding the ride utterly charming. Yeah, it's a little harsh over rough roads, but overall, comfortable, fun, and confidence inspiring.

I don't know much about these bikes at all, such as whether there should be lube at the base of the handle post (at the folding joint), but I look forward to learning more from the posters here.

It seems like a few upgrades would make this into a more capable travel bike by dropping weight and increasing rider efficiency. In particular, I'm thinking about stiffer cranks, pedals with cages, a handlebar extender with angle adjustment, bar ends, and lightweight wheels.

Any thoughts on improvements or tips on using and maintaining the bike are appreciated!

Here's a pic:

Old 06-26-12, 10:17 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
... It seems like a few upgrades would make this into a more capable travel bike by dropping weight and increasing rider efficiency. In particular, I'm thinking about stiffer cranks, pedals with cages, a handlebar extender with angle adjustment, bar ends, and lightweight wheels.

Any thoughts on improvements or tips on using and maintaining the bike are appreciated! ... [/IMG]
See:

https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/handlebar.htm

and

https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/wheels.htm

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 06-26-12, 10:21 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
totally out of PRO wheels at the moment ..... lol
Thanks Hank ...

cool bike .... just go step by step in the modding department...lol
and than find out whats to like and whats need to go first ....

Thanks Thor
Old 06-26-12, 03:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Thor,

I saw a handlebar post recall notice on your site, and it looks like mine may be one of the affected models, although I was unable to check my bike's serial number at the site linked. Is Dahon still replacing these?
Old 06-26-12, 05:47 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I would call Thor.
Check out the fourth item down, already tricked out.......https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/oneoff.htm
Old 06-26-12, 08:27 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although not a Dahon Mariner, my first folder was a stock aluminum bike and I loved it. Still do, actually. It's not my primary folding bike but it still comes in handy for many occasions.

I've left mine stock but keep it very well-maintained. Cages for the pedals on yours may not work that well when folded if the pedals fold up to reduce space.

Let me play Devil's advocate here, but given the long list of improvements you'd like to make, maybe you should have gotten a different bike in the first place. Dropping a significant amount of weight on an aluminum bike isn't that easy (the frame is already aluminum) and the difference in weight from new components will not be that great without a substantial cost. And as far as efficiency is concerned, these types of bikes weren't designed for that as much as they were designed to fold, they are after all "folding bikes" and not "efficiency bikes," "road bikes" or "mountain bikes." If they were designed for efficiency they would have much larger wheels, among other things.
Old 06-26-12, 09:52 PM
Jiten

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the first things you have to check is the adjustment of the frame and handlepost hinges. Those need to be checked regularly and kept nice and tight. Grease on the handlepost areas which contact each other is usually recommended to fix creaking noises. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Change the pedals, since it probably won't be long until you have to anyway. The removable MKS pedals are nice.
Old 06-27-12, 06:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Jiten
One of the first things you have to check is the adjustment of the frame and handlepost hinges. Those need to be checked regularly and kept nice and tight. Grease on the handlepost areas which contact each other is usually recommended to fix creaking noises. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Change the pedals, since it probably won't be long until you have to anyway. The removable MKS pedals are nice.
Thanks, Jiten! I'm assuming the hinges should be snug enough to remove any slop, but not so tight as to cause any drag or resistance when folding, is that right?

Regarding grease, should the inside surfaces of the hinge joints have a little grease, too? It looks like there's a dry film of old grease under the handle post hinge, for example, and I'm wondering about the frame hinge, which I haven't looked closely at yet.
Old 06-27-12, 06:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by MadCityCyclist
Although not a Dahon Mariner, my first folder was a stock aluminum bike and I loved it. Still do, actually. It's not my primary folding bike but it still comes in handy for many occasions.

I've left mine stock but keep it very well-maintained. Cages for the pedals on yours may not work that well when folded if the pedals fold up to reduce space.

Let me play Devil's advocate here, but given the long list of improvements you'd like to make, maybe you should have gotten a different bike in the first place. Dropping a significant amount of weight on an aluminum bike isn't that easy (the frame is already aluminum) and the difference in weight from new components will not be that great without a substantial cost. And as far as efficiency is concerned, these types of bikes weren't designed for that as much as they were designed to fold, they are after all "folding bikes" and not "efficiency bikes," "road bikes" or "mountain bikes." If they were designed for efficiency they would have much larger wheels, among other things.
I here where you're coming from, MCC, but I wasn't really looking for a folder when this presented itself, and because of the low price of $200, I couldn't resist, and since my dream folder is the $1.8k Tern Verge X10 (for which I can't see throwing down for anytime soon) anything short of that is a compromise anyway, so I figured just to get in the market, have some fun, and see if a folder is really a type of bike that is important to me. If it is, then maybe I could start justifying (and saving!) for Verge!

Still, I have a hard time riding any bike just bone-stock. It's a personalization thing! A quick look through ThorUSA site shows that 2lbs could be easily shaved for $500 between wheels and pedals, and as a bonus, I'd get rid of the horrible, flexy, plastic folding pedals I hate. $500 is not insignificant, but spreading it out over time is do-able for me, and would satisfy my urge to customize the bike, too. I'm a strong guy, but getting the bike under 25lbs would be pretty cool in terms of folded handling ease.

I'll have to see what the future holds for me in terms of travel, too. I might like a bike that I can pack up in airline suitable luggage and have to knock around with in the EU. We'll see.