Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Please Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 07:14 PM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please Help

I'm 64 YO rider that has a big problem. I have logged 2100 miles in the last four and half months, and plan on ridding a lot more since the weather has wormed up. I ride a Trek Domane,I have no numbness in my hands when I ride. I haven't been fitted by a pro but plan to do so in the future. My problem is that I have Basel Joint Arthritis (the thumb joint is worn out) in both hands. I wear thumb braces about ten or twelve hours a day(not on the bike) and in the past I have had to have cortisone shots in both joints. I ride with what I think are good padded gloves but like today after a three hour ride I had a little pain in both hands nothing bad. My doctor doesn't even want to talk about me riding so I can't get much help from her. I have this problem that will be with me for the rest of my life but I still want to ride. I'm think about aero bars. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks form an old man.
Old 03-19-14, 07:26 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aero bars would be helpful on long rides, however if you're riding in a group ride they are pretty much frowned upon.
I have RA and osteoarthritis pretty much throughout my body. i ride about 100-150 miles a week to stay active and the riding seems to help alot with the arthritis. Only other suggestion is to use heavier padded gloves, move your hands around to various positions on the drop bar and possibly try not to wrap your thumbs around the bars all of the time.
Old 03-19-14, 07:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
All I got:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post12953035
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...discovery.html

Try to decrease the load on your thumbs by taking weight off your hands from the wrists down. Bar angle and brifter position are very important so that your wrists take the weight, not your hands.

I've ridden with aero bars for many years. As long as you only use them when solo or 20'+ behind a rider or pulling a line, you'll be fine. I also don't use them whenever doing anything vaguely technical or when access to the brakes or quick shifting might be important. It takes a while to get good with them. I make it a practice to try to use them for a long stretch on every solo training ride, ride the white line, etc.
Old 03-19-14, 07:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Soon to be 64, July, with same issue left hand but also entire wrist bone structure shot and right shoulder needs total replacement. Shots not even recommended.

I have to use my aero bars as much as possible due to pain, stiffness and numbness. Guys I ride with don't mind riding behind me when I need to drop onto aero bars during paceline riding. We ride at 22 to 26+mph during 15 to 30 mile distances between stops and I just can't stay on hoods or drops for those distances. When I am on my own I will be on aero bars 90%+ of the time.

Even right now my left hand fingers are numb with pain in wrist but not too bad in thumb and right shoulder is reminding me that it is worn out.

My riding is twice a week with 50 to 60 miles on Tuesday and 65 to 85+ on Saturday. Without aero bars I would not enjoy those miles or the 112 during an Ironman. In July I will ride my 130 mile birthday ride. Twice my age plus 2 for good measure.

Good luck, keep it fun and you'll do great.
Old 03-20-14, 02:51 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Get a fit to get less pressure on your hands.

Consider a recumbent.