Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Care Plus? If you know about this, please step inside.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 10:48 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

I'm trying to decide if I should get Trek Care Plus on my new bike and hope y'all can help. The cost is $359, and purportedly covers accidental damage and wear/tear items (chains/cassettes/etc.).

My situation is that, being a former auto mechanic, I meticulously maintain my bike. I had my previous Madone for 6 years and the drivetrain functioned flawlessly, and I never needed to replace the cassette. Additionally, my bike is covered for accidental damage by my renter's insurance.

So is there any reason for me to get the Trek Care Plus that I'm not seeing? I can't find the fine print anywhere. The only documentation that the store had says "Go to Trek Bicycle and download a copy of the full Service Agreement terms and conditions." So I go there, which redirects to a different link, and bottom line it says to contact my dealer for further details. I hate circular arguments.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-14, 11:02 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
like most insurance, the net benefit is to the insurer. as an individual you may benefit but statistically not likely. it's often more economical to self-insure.
Old 08-01-14, 11:04 AM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For you, it might not make sense. I've got it on my domane since I don't take care of my bikes at all. Having the crash protection is pretty nice if you race or do otherwise stupid stuff. I also cross chain and such with reckless abandon.
Old 08-01-14, 11:04 AM
yote223

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rip-Off.
Old 08-01-14, 11:23 AM
bruin11

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I'm trying to decide if I should get Trek Care Plus on my new bike and hope y'all can help. The cost is $359, and purportedly covers accidental damage and wear/tear items (chains/cassettes/etc.).

My situation is that, being a former auto mechanic, I meticulously maintain my bike. I had my previous Madone for 6 years and the drivetrain functioned flawlessly, and I never needed to replace the cassette. Additionally, my bike is covered for accidental damage by my renter's insurance.

So is there any reason for me to get the Trek Care Plus that I'm not seeing? I can't find the fine print anywhere. The only documentation that the store had says "Go to Trek Bicycle and download a copy of the full Service Agreement terms and conditions." So I go there, which redirects to a different link, and bottom line it says to contact my dealer for further details. I hate circular arguments.

Thanks in advance.
How many miles did you ride in 6 years that you never had to replace the cassette.
Old 08-01-14, 12:53 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bruin11
How many miles did you ride in 6 years that you never had to replace the cassette.
About 4500 miles. I don't get to ride much in a year due to out of country travels.
Old 08-01-14, 01:02 PM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have it on my MTB bike (which I feel is the right move as I already had to replace a wheel that I taco'ed and a fork). Not sure if it is all that great for a road bike though. Most of the components are normally good for lots and lots of miles so it really boils down to if you want to keep it on hand for any accidental issues that could come up.
Old 08-01-14, 01:04 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I think it could be good or bad, depending on how you ride, if you want (need?) to maintain your own bike, what the risk of crashing is, etc. When I ordered my Domane in April, they were having one of those "buy a bike, get $ off any Trek/Bont accessory" sales. I used the $200 towards the Trek Care deal, so it actually only cost me a bit over $100 for three years of coverage. At 4000-4500 miles a year, I am pretty much guaranteed to get my money back in chains, cassettes, etc., plus the crash coverage is a nice addition. The techs at my lbs are quite good, so I am happy to let them work on my bike, even though I am capable of doing the maintenance myself. So, for me it was a good deal, but for others, maybe not. Up to your individual situation.
Old 08-01-14, 01:07 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV

Thanks in advance.
6 years without changing a cassette or chain? How? I bought my Madone in July 2013 and by February Trek Care+ replaced my (upgraded) my chain, cassette and bottom bracket. As for renters insurance I'd check to see if actually covers crashes and wear and tear, I doubt it. If you ride the bike a lot like I do then Trek Care+ is an excellent value, and I'm someone that does not do extended warranties on things.
Based on how much I ride it will more than pay for itself in replaced cassettes and chains alone not to mention if anything else breaks or I crash.
Old 08-01-14, 07:25 PM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trek Care Plus

Originally Posted by floridamtb
6 years without changing a cassette or chain? How? I bought my Madone in July 2013 and by February Trek Care+ replaced my (upgraded) my chain, cassette and bottom bracket. As for renters insurance I'd check to see if actually covers crashes and wear and tear, I doubt it. If you ride the bike a lot like I do then Trek Care+ is an excellent value, and I'm someone that does not do extended warranties on things.
Based on how much I ride it will more than pay for itself in replaced cassettes and chains alone not to mention if anything else breaks or I crash.
I purchased Trek Care Plus on my Domane 4.5. The dealer replaced the chain and cassette at 3000 and then at 6000 miles, this was in the first eight months. I will get more than my moneys worth in three years with the Trek Care Plus plan
Old 08-02-14, 04:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
like most insurance, the net benefit is to the insurer. as an individual you may benefit but statistically not likely. it's often more economical to self-insure.
What!? The insurers make money?
Old 08-02-14, 09:10 AM
Nebby10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadlizzard
I purchased Trek Care Plus on my Domane 4.5. The dealer replaced the chain and cassette at 3000 and then at 6000 miles, this was in the first eight months. I will get more than my moneys worth in three years with the Trek Care Plus plan
That's what factored into my Trek Care Plus purchase. If you figure one or two cassettes + chains per year the cost of the plan drops to a rather reasonable price. If it's a Dura Ace cassette....just one of those will cover most of it.