Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

If I going to buy a Garmin: Edge 800 or 810?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

If I going to buy a Garmin: Edge 800 or 810?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 03:47 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Note re: turn by turn directions and the 500.

it can do turn directions using the tcx file downloaded from sites such as ridewithgps.com

I've been using this on my La Bella Preme training rides with team as I am leading the rides and am not 100% familiar with area we are riding in. Someone else designs route. I save route to my ridewithgps profile. Download the tcx file to my computer then transfer file to Garmin 500 using directions provided. It works pretty well.
Right, but what many people want from a GPS is the ability to enter an address or landmark if they're lost and get directions to their destination. The 500 and 510 can't do that. If you get lost, your lost. YMMV, of course, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having any GPS capabilities to me.
Old 03-21-13, 03:58 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
Right, but what many people want from a GPS is the ability to enter an address or landmark if they're lost and get directions to their destination. The 500 and 510 can't do that. If you get lost, your lost. YMMV, of course, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having any GPS capabilities to me.
I agree, without turn by turn directions I would still be wandering lost through the tiny streets of Istanbul, Turkey looking for my hotel.....
Old 03-21-13, 07:44 PM
JackoDandy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannydyn
True, but the ability to upload your workout to the web via your cell instead of hooking it up to a PC is a major time/hassle saver - at least for me.
But its not as easy as a simple upload is it? Doesn't the Garmin have to connect to a cell phone via bluetooth and then the cell uploads the stats? Seems like a real PITA to first have your cell phone involved and secondly, worry about pairing BT etc. Also the 'real-time' tracking is as poorly thought out. Id need my phone connected to the garmin and have it pushing locations as I ride - why not just use the phone if it has to be with me and 'active'. Seems redundant to have the garmin at all.

What would be sweet would if the garmin had built-in WiFi that connected to your home network when you got home. It would then automatically sync with the garmin website. This whole blutooth+cell combo seems half executed.
Old 03-26-13, 10:13 AM
Dannydyn

Bikes: Canondale CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Sorry, but I've got to laugh. Just for the heck of it, I just uploaded a ride to my PC from my creaky old 705 starting with my browser running. Working casually, I found and clicked on the GC link in my favorites, connected the USB to the 705, waited for it to connect to the PC, clicked Upload, waited for it to upload, then opened it to view it. 49 seconds. That's a "major time/hassle"?

You can't look at the data without having the site/program open anyway, so if it's open in the first place, connecting the USB and uploading the data might take all of 30 seconds.
Glad you got yourself a little chuckle there…. I don’t know about you, but for me getting to my computer at home is a rare occurrence these days. Between my iPhone/iPad/laptop, I rarely touch the desktop anymore. I often ride my bike to work, where the USB ports on my desktop are locked down for security reasons. Now with the 810, I can do a quick upload to the web via my phone without the need to rely on any PCs or to wait until I get home to view my ride stats. I understand that as an existing (older) model owner, you’re not as incline to upgrade, or otherwise, simply biased against the latest and greatest (can’t blame you, I’d be too). But for someone who doesn’t own a GPS unit and is contemplating on which one to get, the ability to sync via a smartphone is a big plus, at least in my opinion.

Originally Posted by JackoDandy
But its not as easy as a simple upload is it? Doesn't the Garmin have to connect to a cell phone via bluetooth and then the cell uploads the stats? Seems like a real PITA to first have your cell phone involved and secondly, worry about pairing BT etc. Also the 'real-time' tracking is as poorly thought out. Id need my phone connected to the garmin and have it pushing locations as I ride - why not just use the phone if it has to be with me and 'active'. Seems redundant to have the garmin at all.

What would be sweet would if the garmin had built-in WiFi that connected to your home network when you got home. It would then automatically sync with the garmin website. This whole blutooth+cell combo seems half executed.
BT pairing is done once. Once the two devices are aware of each other, every future pairing process is done automatically (or by BT design at least). So no, pairing is not a big deal, only a one-time step. As far as live tracking goes…. I don’t care for that particular feature too much, so I won’t comment on it.
Old 03-26-13, 10:52 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
I wonder what is the reason they don't include GLONASS support into 810 model, when it is actually supported by 510 model. This alone is a major turn off, making 510 a much better device in my opinion.

I'd expect the actual GPS hardware to be the same in both units (why would it be different?), meaning that GLONASS is probably disabled at some higher hardware/software level in 810. Which would imply that it was done deliberately. Could be some marketing-related decision (i.e. 820 is in the plans)?
Old 03-26-13, 06:41 PM
DarthShadious

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading these responses about the 810 is a joke of an upgrade, blah blah blah. I bet most of those who have said this have not used the 800 and 810 side by side. The 810 is a great improvement over the 800. The UI is way more intuitive, the software has been totally revamped with some nice features (up to 10 different bike profiles you can easily choose from, change each of the fields info on each page on the fly) and I can save my rides on the go through my phone connection. These are what make this device so much more user friendly to me. Now, I am not saying the 810 is worth replacing your current 800 model but if you were like me when I bought my 810, I was in the market for a new bike computer. Oh, and the 810 has been flawless for me. Not sure who said it has been buggy, but I haven't experienced anything but exceptional usage.
Old 03-26-13, 09:22 PM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannydyn
BT pairing is done once. Once the two devices are aware of each other, every future pairing process is done automatically (or by BT design at least). So no, pairing is not a big deal, only a one-time step. As far as live tracking goes…. I don’t care for that particular feature too much, so I won’t comment on it.
Ha! Try telling that to my trucks BT phone software....
Old 03-27-13, 08:45 AM
Dannydyn

Bikes: Canondale CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackoDandy
Ha! Try telling that to my trucks BT phone software....
Let me guess... you're driving a Chevy
Old 04-01-13, 04:34 PM
Bigtremendous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that the UI on the 810 is much better than on the 800. It makes a lot more sense and looks a little nicer. Feature for feature they are very similar, I have had battery problems with my 810 that I had to RMA it over, I haven't verified that its working better on the new one. I bought the standalone unit and when I RMA'd it they sent me a kit include a map card, so that was nice.

A lot of people are having problems with power meters on the 510/810 so you may want to research that a bit if you have one.

Overall, I like the 810 better and the wireless syncing to the phone is awesome. With garminsync.com I never need to log into anything and all of my rides post to strava.
Old 04-13-13, 09:50 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
$100 rebate on the 800 now, so I bought one this week. Not having a smart phone I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of some of the 810 features anyway.

The base map was useless so I installed the free Open Street Map on a microSD card instead of buying a map from Garmin.
Old 04-26-13, 07:15 PM
gilaasepeda

Bikes: "26" kona kula watt team carbon, "700c" colnago CLX, "700" colnago c59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im getting 810 soon, just love those tracking your mate stuff when you got leave behind. always last in team
Old 05-19-13, 08:20 PM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
$100 rebate on the 800 now, so I bought one this week.
Me too. Aint I the hypocrite $200 after rebate was too tempting. I love new toys and can probably cover the $200 difference by selling my 705...
Old 05-19-13, 08:29 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still love my 500. When I finally get a PT hub, it has ANT+ to log my awesome power.
Old 05-19-13, 09:51 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am enjoying immensely boring my Facebook friends with my new stream of ride updates using my 810 and smartphone. Navigation and heart rate monitoring is great too.
Old 05-25-13, 03:01 PM
Tony N.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
$100 rebate on the 800 now, so I bought one this week. Not having a smart phone I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of some of the 810 features anyway.

The base map was useless so I installed the free Open Street Map on a microSD card instead of buying a map from Garmin.
I'm in the same situation as you and am wonderin how you like the 800 now that you have had it for a while. They have brought back the sale and $100 rebate.
Old 05-27-13, 08:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
where is it on sale?
Old 05-27-13, 10:39 AM
Tony N.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I am enjoying immensely boring my Facebook friends with my new stream of ride updates using my 810 and smartphone. Navigation and heart rate monitoring is great too.
Here on sale, https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/garmin-edge-800
lhendrick, how dose the 810 actuall function in live stream mode for your friends? I have a friend who is on the road right now and has included me in his live stream prograam. It shows on my pc in 6+ mile spurts and has a yellow alert in the upper right corner of map that says No signal. Trying to reconnect.
Old 05-28-13, 07:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
Here on sale
Thanks, it's in the mail
Old 05-30-13, 08:11 PM
calgary_jim

Bikes: 2012 Merckx Emx-5 Campagnolo Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I download Open Street maps?
Old 05-31-13, 09:45 PM
Tony N.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
Here on sale, https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/garmin-edge-800
lhendrick, how dose the 810 actuall function in live stream mode for your friends? I have a friend who is on the road right now and has included me in his live stream prograam. It shows on my pc in 6+ mile spurts and has a yellow alert in the upper right corner of map that says No signal. Trying to reconnect.
My friend has been doing nightly 50+ mile rides and sending me the live tracking link. It is working flawlessly now that he is out of the mountains and has good cell tower coverage. I would like to hear from BF users as to how they like are dislike the 810. Also my guess is Garmin's next big thing will be voice prompts turn by turn.