Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Resurfacing Cones

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Resurfacing Cones

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 11:09 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Find cones that are close enough made for the same number and size of balls. This isn't rocket science. It's a bike wheel, not a turbine engine out of a fighter jet.

Cut new seals out of a plastic bottle.

Done.
Old 07-01-13, 11:44 AM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool,

I was hoping to improve my craft with this process, but now I have a Plan C as well. I never even considered a plastic bottle even though the planet is inundated with them. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Amesja
Find cones that are close enough made for the same number and size of balls. This isn't rocket science. It's a bike wheel, not a turbine engine out of a fighter jet.

Cut new seals out of a plastic bottle.

Done.
Old 07-03-13, 03:20 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by jodphoto
I'll be going to a solid axle that I can't bend with my 240lb.
AFAIK, the bending strength of a tube is very little less than that of a rod; I'd wager there'd be an order of magnitude or more difference between a cheap one and a high-quality one.
Old 07-03-13, 03:37 AM
trescojones

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
Maybe try some DIY case-hardening on the cone's race surface by heating it up to glowing red with a MAPP torch and then quenching it into some clean motor oil? (maybe have a fire extinguisher handy in case you ignite the oil...)

Just a thought. Never done it myself on a bearing surfaces although I've done it to some other metals (gunsmithin' in the Wile E. Coyote method.)
I havent done this with bearing cones yet either, (have done it with tools)
Perhaps cone life would be enhanced if after quenching, you cleaned them and tempered them, gently heating until the blue, yellow or pink colouration appears on the races(depending on how hard vs springy you want it), you can use fine dry wood ash as a gradual cooling medium by having a can of it underneath you just drop the piece into
Old 07-08-13, 07:48 AM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amesja,

Thanks for the reality check. Light bulb on.

Wheels Mfg cones seem close enough and with a variety of spacers, will work. Their diameter is smaller than the originals so I think it's a simple matter to close the gap with the grease seal.

I never even considered the issue of case hardening the cones afterwards.

I may still try fixing the old cones...after I have my bike back.

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone!
Old 08-07-13, 08:45 PM
yellowbarber
porc, pâtisserie & piment

Bikes: 1830 Claude Chevrier Strad model, 1915 Gibson A, 1929 Cuesnon/Beuscher Stainer model, Phil Davidson 2pt mandolin, 1970 JW Gallagher G-50, ca1920 Favilla Brothers grand concert, 2005 Swift Folder, '97 Cannondale M700

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
I'm glad you guys have this thread going. Saved me from doing something potentially stupid.
I have a set of Resilion Continentals on a proper old British pathracer. The rear cones are pretty crunchy, and so far I've just been repacking new bearings every 200/300 miles or so. The last time, I did spin them in a drill press and buffed the races with a fine compound which made a little improvement.
It's more likely I'll find a new pair of complete Continentals before I find replacement cones (British, circa 1958) , but I will be patient and relace the wheelset with a garden variety sturmey archer 3 speed setup in the meantime.
Old 08-08-13, 09:36 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5464 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I pulled an old JC Penny 3 speed out of the trash and it has scored front bearings. I got nothing to lose by trying to resurface them. Thanks for the pictures. I take it the finished radius of the cone really isn't that critical?
Old 08-09-13, 01:22 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The process for resurfacing a BB spindle currently under work (as mention on another thread):

The proper tool: rectifying machine with center support (some are free-center and may only give you round surface but may be eccentric which is very bad) with a ball profile wheel that match the desired radius, or even a profiled one for other shapes.
- this machine gives you the final smoothness as much as it can get, like for a crankshaft journals, very round and very true, with about 0.2 - 0.4 um rugosity.

After that it will go trough a high frequency currents case hardening giving about 0.3mm of case hardened material.

Total cost: a few beers to those few friends that work in a factory and have this kind of tools at hand. I was about to try the dremmel-lathe combo but after a few discussion with my machinist friend, I've given the spindle to him and awaiting it to get back
Old 12-18-16, 02:04 PM
9volt 

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Took a crack at resurfacing some old cones today. Used a dremel and drill press to clean the pitting and then a few rounds of sandpaper to smooth them out.

Old 12-18-16, 02:48 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Pretty. Now you only need to case harden them again.
Old 12-18-16, 02:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Old thread, with new work

Looks like a nice job on the cones. Don't forget to add spacers as needed.

I tried cutting my Campy BB spindle on the lathe using normal HSS or Carbide bits.. Whew, was it hard. Next time I'll use a stone. Unfortunately one can't use spacers with the BB, so I had to be careful not to take off too much material, and it is tight fitting. However, I was just thinking, if one needed a 68mm spindle, perhaps one could cut down a 70mm spindle.

When I was at the Bike co-op a while ago, I snagged several broken axles. They probably wondered what on earth I needed half axles for, but they were cheap, although I'm not sure I got any Campy threaded ones.
Old 12-18-16, 03:11 PM
9volt 

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Pretty. Now you only need to case harden them again.
These are for an 84 Sierra that is going to get ridden around the neighborhood with my dog a few times a year. I'll pull them next fall and post pics.

Last edited by 9volt; 12-18-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-19-16, 04:50 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Now you only need to case harden them again.
I've hardened reground cones using a case hardening compound. And I've used them w/o hardening. So far, I can't tell any functional difference.
Old 12-19-16, 08:59 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I ground the ball dimples out of a Campy headset crown race by spinning it using a lathe while grinding with a fine dremel stone. Followed with polishing with crocus cloth. About 10 minutes work. Still working great after many miles.

To fix the dimpled alloy lower (fixed) cup, I swapped out the pressed-in hard steel race with an identical hard steel race pulled from an upper cup, since uppers don't dimple.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 12-19-16, 08:59 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I've been doing this same exact thing for years and have had good results. Although I never made a mandrel for it, and have always used an old axle. But I've often wondered why there isn't a device or tool to make it easier to do. I'm thinking something like an ice skate blade sharpener. For me, it's not the expense of new cones but more of a convenience. When I discover bad cones...instead of driving to a bike shop where they may or may not have the precise cone that I need (necessitating the purchase of an entire axle/cone setup if they don't), or worse yet waiting for an online purchase to arrive...I can have the bike back on the road within a hour or so when I resurface a cone myself.

Dan
Old 12-19-16, 10:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
[QUOTE=sknhgy;15938893]I pulled an old JC Penny 3 speed out of the trash and it has scored front bearings. I got nothing to lose by trying to resurface them. Thanks for the pictures. I take it the finished radius of the cone really isn't that critical?[/QUOTE]

The radius of the cone is less important then the cone's surface being concentric and axial. But the radius needs to be larger then the balls being used, as in only a single point of contact is wanted. Andy.
Old 06-12-18, 10:49 AM
mickeyaaaa

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
worked with dremel and hand drill

Thank you so much for posting this! gave me the confidence to give it a try - my drill press is a cheap Chinese one and had too much wobble to be useful - turned out my cordless drill had the straightest chuck of all my drills so i used that - put it in the vice and then used the dremel very carefully to have 2 spinning tools do the work - this worked surprisingly well. then i used rolled up 220 grit and then 400 grit sandpaper to clean & polish it.

CAN ANYBODY CONFIRM IF THIS TYPE OF FIX HAS BEEN RELIABLE FOR THEM********** - (without case hardening that is)