Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

27.5" wheel Schwinn Stingray

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-13-19, 08:37 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

with large tires like 2.35" (or even 2.6"). What would you think of that? Would it work as an idea? I mean with like more modern features like threadless headset and aluminium frame and 8 speed cassette etc. I mean I sometimes wonder what it would feel like to roll with a banana seat bicycle again if I had an adult-sized one.
Old 07-13-19, 11:56 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Stingrays were built for wheelies, now if ya' wanna be cool, do a wheelie on a road bike!

Old 07-14-19, 06:30 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Schwinn did this with the Mantaray bita

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 07-14-19, 07:20 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Schwinn did this with the Mantaray bita
I had a hand-me-down Stingray from approx 1972 to 1975 (10 to 13 years old) when I got a 10-speed. A friend's Dad wanted to try it and when he got on it I saw immediately that I would eventually outgrow it.

Sometime around then I saw a Manta Ray locked up at the drugstore (probably during a candy and comic books run with friends). It was gray with a silver metal-flake banana seat with a shifter on the top tube.

My immediate impression was "cool!" a bigger Stingray! But the proportions were off. The banana seat didn't hang out over the entire rear wheel, and the front bars somehow didn't look right either. It didn't have a fat, flat back slick like my Stingray, but the longitutal racing stripe with the "S" on the seat was cool.

I saw a few more, but none of them had a tall "sissy bar" in the back like the one pictured here.

Looking at this bike now, Schwinn should have used a frame with shorter chain-stays to bring the back wheel in, and a seat-post setback and possibly longer seat to get the seat out over the back of the back wheel. Also, a longer front fork with a smaller 24" wheel and a drum brake (or "motorcycle brake" as we called it) like on the Stingray-based "Krate" bikes (Apple-Krate etc) should have been used.

Of course, all of that would have cost money to produce and raise the price to the consumer.

But, ungainly proportions or not, the photo of the Manta-Ray immediately took me back 45 years or so to the bike I saw at locked up at the drug store in Chicago.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-14-19, 08:21 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Here’s an old 26er that’s along the same line of thinking. Two sizes too small, expanded with a lay back and risers.
Likes For North Coast Joe: