Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Needing help with a schematic

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 08:54 PM
txtricrossryder

Location: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana for work, but home is Texas!

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 2010 Trek 3500. I had an issue installing a PDW bell. I didn’t have the dang fork tight and the tube slid off! 🤦🏼‍♂️ I need to make sure I put the spacer and parts back together in the right order. Can anyone help me with the schematics or with a if you know where I can get a schematic online? I could go to my LBS, but I am going out of town in the morning and want to get this fixed before I go. This bike was made for several years. Doesn’t have to be a 2010 schematic.
Miss my 2006 Specialized Tricross Comp
Old 05-14-20, 03:54 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I have a 2011 3900, but replaced the headset with an aftermarket cartridge many moons ago.

If I remember correctly the original was a caged ball bearing type, in which case most online headset diagrams will help you out. If not, you can post a photo of what parts you have & we can try to sort it out. By my failing memory there's only one spacer that sits atop the upper bearing....there are several (usually) on cartridge types that sit atop the split ring that inserts into the upper inner race.

An explaination as clear as mud, no?
Old 05-14-20, 09:56 AM
txtricrossryder

Location: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana for work, but home is Texas!

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mud

That actually helped. I’m going to replace it with a sealed bearing headset kit. Can you recommend one and website.
Miss my 2006 Specialized Tricross Comp
Old 05-15-20, 03:20 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I'm glad it did help, at least with the decision to just replace it! I can recommend what I purchased, but don't know about all the others out there. I did look at Phil and Chris King, but they were too rich for my blood.

I bought a Cane Creek 40 series Zero Stack to replace my original. They're available for less than $50 on ebay where I buy most parts. I've really liked it so far as it's buttery smooth and has rigid, no slop, support of the fork. I suggest you buy a pack of C.C. .010" spacers at the same time, as I just purchased the headset then had to wait for delivery of a separate purchase of the spacers not knowing they'd be necessary. It's a simple installation with included instructions. Cane Creek's nice website will confirm the headset you'll need, and I did contact their customer support which replied quickly and with more technical data than I really needed.

Last edited by North Coast Joe; 05-15-20 at 03:42 AM.