Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

DeRosa Slx

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 08:18 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
DeRosa Slx

Ok, to be truthful I have no plans to sell any time soon, heck I just got this back in my possession. But the spousal unit is curious...

Frame dates to 1987, 53cm. it’s in very good shape with some paint chipping here and there. Obviously incredibly faded but at least it’s faded in uniform. The original pink was much deeper. I am the original owner and bought it as a frame/fork in 1992 from the LBS. It was out of my possession with a friend for 15yrs ridden rarely. Fork has been rechromed. No rust other than one small spot on the left chainstay where chrome came off but has not spread. I’ve sanded the rust bit off and sealed with nail polish clear coat. Spot is about 5-7mm round.

Parts are 8spd Chorus in phenomenal shape barely any scratches just purchased by me. Headset is Mavic. Wheels are modern though, not sure if someone would want them and they are expensive. Industry 9 alloy rims with torch hubs set up Tubeless. Bike rides like a dream.

thoughts?

Last edited by robbyville; 01-07-21 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-01-21, 12:48 PM
robbyville

Bump to see if anyone has any ideas. Spouse is putting some pressure on for potential sale. I'm thinking it may be best to sell with vintage wheels though.
Old 02-01-21, 11:52 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
I would place the complete value somewhere between $800 and $1200 depending on how and where you go about selling it.

The vintage wheels are a plus. The faded paint won't bother everyone, but pink also is not everyone's first pick.

The frame on its own could be worth upwards of $600-800, the group on its own, with wheels, in the range of $400-600.

Hopefully what you invested to re-acquire the bike doesn't have you in much deeper than those ranges.
Old 02-02-21, 08:20 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
I would place the complete value somewhere between $800 and $1200 depending on how and where you go about selling it.

The vintage wheels are a plus. The faded paint won't bother everyone, but pink also is not everyone's first pick.

The frame on its own could be worth upwards of $600-800, the group on its own, with wheels, in the range of $400-600.

Hopefully what you invested to re-acquire the bike doesn't have you in much deeper than those ranges.
Thanks! As mentioned I’m the original owner so spend has been reasonable from when I bought the original frame and fork and now the Chorus Group. I reaquired it from
my friend for the price of shipping. At that price point I’d have to sell without the wheels and see how I would fare. The vintage wheels I have for it are Set up for shimano as part of the original build and are probably worth next to nothing.
Old 02-02-21, 08:57 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I think $1600 is closer to what you should be able to get for it.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 02-02-21, 03:37 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by jiangshi
I think $1600 is closer to what you should be able to get for it.
with current modern wheels or shouldn’t pick up a set of era appropriate do you think?
Old 02-02-21, 05:07 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
with current modern wheels or shouldn’t pick up a set of era appropriate do you think?
With era appropriate wheels. Aren't those wheels $$$?
Old 02-02-21, 06:32 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by jiangshi
With era appropriate wheels. Aren't those wheels $$$?
the wheels on there now are new Industry Nine rims set up tubeless and hubs with a Veloce cassette and machined spacers to work with the 8spd chorus shifters. Retail about $900. They’re actually my back up wheels for the Speedvagen. I imagine it might be cheaper to buy some era specific wheels. I do have the original Chorus 8spd cassette that’s barely been used.

the wheels that I had on the bike originally are probably worth next to nothing. Two different Campy rims one laced to a Mavic front hub the other to a Shimano 600 8spd freehub. The wheels are still perfectly straight and true but we’re laced by me to suit my fancy back in 1992 when I was buying bits and pieces that I could afford at the time.
Old 02-03-21, 01:42 PM
bean_burrito

Bikes: 1990 GT Tequesta, 1991 Pinarello Asolo, 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 2017 Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
just wanna say that bike is beautiful!!
Likes For bean_burrito:
Old 02-04-21, 07:34 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by bean_burrito
just wanna say that bike is beautiful!!
thank you! I love riding it again
Old 02-04-21, 04:22 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Be still my beating heart!

Alas, ive been recovering from a knee surgery for the last 3 months and my slush fund has run dry --- but my previous DeRosa was a 54.5 and was a tad stretched for me --- your 53 would be so perfect --- i even love the color - properly representative of the MAglia Rosa !

Sigh - even have a 32h set of Chorus hubs that need to be laced to something

Good luck with sale and a great bike
Old 02-04-21, 09:17 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by DMC707

Alas, ive been recovering from a knee surgery for the last 3 months and my slush fund has run dry --- but my previous DeRosa was a 54.5 and was a tad stretched for me --- your 53 would be so perfect --- i even love the color - properly representative of the MAglia Rosa !

ha! Well it’s not for sale yet, so hit me up in a couple of months and we can chat (the 53 is actually a titch too big for me)! I’m one of those people who would be just as happy seeing the bike go to someone who would love it as much as I do
Old 02-04-21, 09:43 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by DMC707

ha! Well it’s not for sale yet, so hit me up in a couple of months and we can chat (the 53 is actually a titch too big for me)! I’m one of those people who would be just as happy seeing the bike go to someone who would love it as much as I do
Old 02-17-21, 07:00 AM
b2bstam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fantastic bicycle