Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

How much do rocker plates improve comfort on an indoor trainer?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 03-04-20, 06:13 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I use a Tacx Neo to ride on Zwift a few times a week. General my butt gets too sore to continue riding on the trainer after about 40min. I have read that it is a common problem, that a bike that is comfortable out on the ride can become uncomfortable on an indoor trainer. I have also read that a rocker plate may help make it more comfortable. So I was thinking of getting a Saris MP1.

Can anyone who has experience with rocker plates comment on if they do increase saddle comfort, and if so how much did it help? and how much did it extend your comfortable ride time by?
Old 03-04-20, 07:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Have you tried standing up occasionally to relieve the pressure on your rear?
Likes For jadocs:
Old 03-05-20, 01:20 PM
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
The root of the problem is not really the bike, it's that there is no need to move. No obstacles, no corners, no hills, nothing. Thus, it's easy to remain in the exact same position - a recipe for discomfort in any type of seat. That would never happen outside.

The quick, free fix is just to stand occasionally and try to change your position throughout the ride. Even just shifting your weight slightly forward or back can make a huge improvement.

I'm not arguing against a rocker plate, but man, $1200? That's a significant expenditure. And here's someone who had the problem on rollers - https://coachlevi.com/cycling/numbne...s-not-outside/ - so I don't think rocking around is enough (by itself) to prevent numbness and soreness.
Old 03-06-20, 07:52 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I don't have a rocker plate, but I have had my wahoo kick R set up on 2" soft foam rubber for the last two years, I doubled it over under the feet supports of the wahoo, it gives me about an inch
of movement back and forth on the bike, while it doesn't do much for my seat, I thought it would take some pressure off my bike frame and trainer bearings ect. seems to work ok and was a
very cheap from of a rocker for the trainer

I also think a stationary bike is the real deal for bike fitting , I am always trying to make small adjustments to get the perfect fit, and small adjustments can extent seat time by 15 minutes normally
for better or worse, I've only had one seat and set up that got me too 75 minutes without any discomfort, then I try a different seat and try that for a few weeks, most only give me comfort for 45 minutes, then they seem only get worse with further adjusting , so I'll switch it out and try something different, one of these days I'll find the perfect fit for me and be able to get 2hrs without any
discomfort, but it has been the impossible thing to find so far.
Old 03-08-20, 03:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wear thicker padded shorts and stand more often for indoor trainer sessions. Inexpensive Przewalski shorts with Dupont 3D CoolMax pads are very comfy for this. Even if you prefer bibs for outdoor rides, these shorts are very comfy for long trainer sessions.

And I'll do longer intervals standing to pedal for up to 5 minutes at a time -- usually around a minute every 10-15 minutes.
Old 03-08-20, 04:37 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Get some of this and apply it to hot spots BEFORE you get on the trainer or rollers.

https://www.buttpaste.com/
Old 03-08-20, 02:35 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I put squares of HD packing foam under the feet of the Kickr, which provide just a little side to side & minimal fore/aft movement, but enough to soften the ride and take stress off of the bike & me. I've also used balance pods , which make the Kickr float, both are great at making two+ hour Zwift rides painless.

Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 03-13-20, 12:22 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I have an MP1. It won't magically make indoor riding comfortable, but the difference is noticeable. Aside from the rocking, which slightly relieves pressure, it's the ability to resist shock from body weight shifting that really adds up over time. It's mostly the back and forth motion from the MP1 that helps with this.

Some of the responses in this thread:
Old 03-15-20, 04:38 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
I have an MP1. It won't magically make indoor riding comfortable, but the difference is noticeable. Aside from the rocking, which slightly relieves pressure, it's the ability to resist shock from body weight shifting that really adds up over time. It's mostly the back and forth motion from the MP1 that helps with this.

Some of the responses in this thread:
Thanks, I might just bite the bullet and order one then, even a small improvement is worth it to me.
Old 03-15-20, 08:28 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
I made my own for less than $20, simple and effective going on three years now and 25,000+ km on Zwift. No need for complex springs, bearings, pivots or platforms.I recommend having one.

Likes For ingo:
Old 03-19-20, 02:04 PM
cappelwsu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please share more pics of your rocker plate and share what's under the "wings". That looks fantastic
Old 03-19-20, 03:15 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Springs are a Nerf football cut in half under each wing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110296...posted-public/
Old 03-21-20, 06:18 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I was just looking at my Kickr Core and thinking it should be pretty easy make a pair of U shaped foot tubes to allow the bike to rock. (Kurt Kinetic used to make a dumb trainer like that in the past.)
Old 03-31-20, 02:09 AM
peoplepower

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Google the E-flex Kickr platform. It does everything the MP1 does for roughly 1/3 the cost.

FYI I have no control over any ads that show up in this post.

Last edited by peoplepower; 03-31-20 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 09:15 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Originally Posted by peoplepower
Google the E-flex Kickr platform. It does everything the MP1 does for roughly 1/3 the cost.
The E-Flex is only compatible with the Kickr though, not the Kickr Core, and doesn't work with a Kickr Climb at all.

I ended up ordering a KOM RPV1, which is not trainer specific and should work just fine with the Kickr Climb. It should arrive somewhere around the end of the month...
I will report how my a$$ feels on it after 3+ hours, something which is currently impossible with my current setup!
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 02-28-21, 10:01 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
GCN just built one on their channel. I'm right there with you, 40 mins is about my limit if I don't want to hurt. I did the Alpe Du Zift just so I could say I did it a few weeks back and the up and down took 1h48m and two days of my butt killing me. At this point I've just decided 30-45 mins is all I'm going to do and I'll just do them more often. I don't care how much I stand or move around unless I'm standing the whole time it doesn't matter lol.
Old 02-28-21, 10:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think getting a rocker helped me significantly on longer rides. I no longer have the situation where I failed to stand up for too long so it hurts to stand up. I have fore-aft movement on my plate. Not sure that's really necessary. I find the fore-aft motion a little annoying when I stand.
Old 03-01-21, 11:06 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I was in the same boat -- 40-50min tops. I dialed in the fit a little more and replaced the saddle, which helped, but even with a new saddle (a Fabric) I top out at 80-90min without having to move around somewhat. So yeah, I'll hit pause or stand here and there. The foam under the trainer trick looks interesting -- how does it feel during out-of-the-saddle sprints?
Old 03-01-21, 11:16 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i'm sure rocker plates do improve comfort, i'd like to try experimenting with something myself. but for my rides in real life i do get off the bike from time to time. generally on the trainer i never get off the bike, unless i drop my towel or water bottle.
Old 03-01-21, 12:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
I haven't had any problem with sore butt from riding the trainer, until I did the SST Short workout on Zwift. Spending the entire time seated, pushing near threshold, never standing just doesn't provide any relief. As soon as I finished that workout, I had to get OFF THE BIKE. Luckily the next day was a rest day and the day after that I had no issues.

When free-riding on Zwift, I mimic how I ride IRL - standing for steep pitches, or for sprinting, or just for a change. I rode an hour and a half on Friday night with no issues, but I was sprinting the sprints and getting out of the saddle for the rollers, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 02:16 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I haven't had any problem with sore butt from riding the trainer, until I did the SST Short workout on Zwift. Spending the entire time seated, pushing near threshold, never standing just doesn't provide any relief. As soon as I finished that workout, I had to get OFF THE BIKE. Luckily the next day was a rest day and the day after that I had no issues.

When free-riding on Zwift, I mimic how I ride IRL - standing for steep pitches, or for sprinting, or just for a change. I rode an hour and a half on Friday night with no issues, but I was sprinting the sprints and getting out of the saddle for the rollers, etc.
how about just taking a short 5 min break after a long 45-60 minute climb? IRL i sure do that. in zwift not so much. i do stand in zwift when climbing or the rollers or sprints like you but that is not enough. IRL sometimes i need to walk and stretch, i still don't in zwift though.
Old 03-01-21, 02:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
how about just taking a short 5 min break after a long 45-60 minute climb? IRL i sure do that. in zwift not so much. i do stand in zwift when climbing or the rollers or sprints like you but that is not enough. IRL sometimes i need to walk and stretch, i still don't in zwift though.
I have been known to push hard enough on the virtual descent that I can go into supertuck, and then as my avatar flies down the descent I'm standing up on leveled pedals and stretching. But yeah, it would somehow feel wrong to stop and take a break at the top in Zwift. Even supertuck feels like cheating, somehow, even thought IRL I coast down a lot of descents once I'm up to a reasonable speed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-01-21, 03:46 PM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
I managed 3hrs on Saturday, my legs are still burst today. I've looked at rocker platers and I like the idea both for pressure relief and you also work your core. It needs to be set up loose so it replicates riding on the road, I would build my own rather than drop $1200 on OSD and squishy balls.
Old 03-01-21, 07:33 PM
YellaFella

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7; Trek FX Sport 6

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I have more than 50 hours on my Saris MP1. I wrote up my experiences in a blog post.

TL;DR -- I love my rocker plate. It's made a huge difference in my comfort and ability to train indoors longer.
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 03-01-21, 07:53 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

The KOM and E-Flex are much less than the Saris though, but yeah, even $450 is pretty expensive for what it is...
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.