Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

need advice on upgrading wheels and tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 12:26 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts

I'm about 250 pounds and bought a bike that's comfortable to ride. But the tires are really small. I don't think they're made for curbs and potholes. I want something more solid so I don't have to zigzag and avoid things.

The rear wheel is bent too it happened when I was moving the bike in my truck. I can still ride it and will try to straighten the rear wheel out. But I'd rather swap them if I can get something more reliable. On the store's website it says "alloy rims" and 700c wheels. I posted a link below.

And I had to fix the rear brake. "alloy linear pull brakes". I found a parts kit at walmart but it's pretty flimsy and came with a bunch of cables I don't need. If I can upgrade to something more reliable with parts that are easy to get that would be great.

Schwinn Wayfarer
model 04s4032ctc
support 877-758-4741.

I can't post a link to the store website but I got it from Canadian Tire and if you google the model number it will turn up.
Old 12-03-20, 01:31 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I think that the issue here will be that upgrading to a wheel set robust enough to take the abuse you are contemplating and replacing the brake system to complement the new wheel set is going to cost close to or more than the retail price of the bicycle. So a good question to ask is "what is your budget"? Are you planning on having any of the work done by a shop or diy?

Last edited by Thomas15; 12-03-20 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 02:44 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I think that the issue here will be that upgrading to a wheel set robust enough to take the abuse you are contemplating and replacing the brake system to complement the new wheel set is going to cost more than the retail price of the bicycle. So a good question to ask is "what is your budget"? Are you planning on have any of the work done by a shop?
I will do the work myself. If I can replace just the tires and wheels my budget is about $200.

If I have to replace the entire brakes then I might go with plan B and shop around for another bike. I didn't have the time before because my old bike had a flat and it was a mountain bike with a hard seat. I didn't want to put any money in it. But I can keep using the one I have now.
Old 12-03-20, 03:25 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
You can very likely fit fatter tires onto the existing wheels. THe limiting factor is the space for the tire in the frame and fork. However, this is probably unnecessary. I am about your weight and ride 35mm wide tires (similar to what came on your bike) on very rough roads and surfaces. THe problem with a less expensive bike like your Schwinn is that the rims are very inexpensive single-wall allow rims which are weak as a kitten. THis is much more of a problem on the rear wheel than the front because most of the rider's weight is on the rear wheel.

As for the brakes, linear pull brakes, even cheap ones, are among the simplest to set up and most effective brakes available. IF they aren't working it's almost definitely an issue with your set up. THe worst thing that you will find with properly set up inexpensive linear pull brakes is they might be hard to keep centred compared to more expensive models and this might result in periodic rubbing while you ride.

My recommendation for you is to buy a new rear wheel from your LBS. You want a wheel with a double-wall alloy rim and a freehub style hub for maximum durability. Plus you will need a 'cassette' (set of cogs) to replace the inferior freewheel design that was originally of the bike. $200 should get you something of reasonable quality. Here is an example:

https://www.harriscyclery.net/produc...ilver-3278.htm

(it's a pair of wheels and you really only need a rear but you get the idea)
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-06-20, 08:32 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
For you I think, one could try and find a local bike co-op. If so found they maybe able to help you for all that is needed at your price point desired.
Old 03-09-21, 05:51 PM
homeless in ca.

I tried shopping around for a new wheel but didn't have any luck because I couldn't tell the sellers I contacted what type of wheel I need and everyone was closed due to Covid-19.

So I just rode the bike with a dented wheel all winter, with no rear brakes. Until last Sunday when I had another flat tire.

After watching some YouTube videos I brought the wheel to a bike shop to buy a spoke wrench. The tech said the circumference was off as well as being bent and would be more difficult to repair. I asked about a replacement but they only carried the quick release wheels which I don't want. So I got the wrench.

Spinning the wheel on the bike frame for a bit I was able to straighten it enough that I can use the rear brakes again. It's far from perfect as you can tell by looking at the pictures. But I rode the bike a few miles and it rode much better. Most important of all I can use the rear brake again.

Having thought it over I think I'd rather just keep wrenching on this bike while I shop for a better used bike. I've got a better idea of what I want now. I think I need a slightly larger frame too.

I have one more question about brakes. The brake arm has a part called a "noodle". A curved tube that guides the brake cable. At the end of the noodle is an aluminum sleeve that hooks onto the cable bridge. That sleeve came out of the bridge and I fixed it temporarily by mashing it together with vice grips. I want to order just the little bits and pieces to rebuild the brakes.

I can't post pictures in threads so I made a gallery. If someone could identify the type of wheel I have that would help me out a lot too.

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-21, 01:04 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If you replace the rear wheel, the hub spacing is almost certainly 135mm, and it takes a freewheel. The rim size is 700c, or ERTO 622mm. That should be pretty much all you need. If you want, you can replace the wheel and the cassette, which will be more durable. Freewheel hubs tend to break axles.

Brake noodles are pretty easy to find at any bike shop or online. https://www.amazon.com/EACOZY-Noodle...5359460&sr=8-6, for example.

Those tires are probably fairly reasonable for your weight under most circumstances, but I can totally understand you wanting a wider tire. It's anyone's guess what the actual tire clearance on that exact bike is. Measure from your existing tires to their smallest clearance, reduce that by about 7mm for reasonable clearance, and double that number. That's about how much wider you can fit. Spending extra can get you meaningfully better puncture protection.

Shopping for a used bike, for you I might recommend looking at mid-80s through early 90s rigid mountain bikes with steel frames. They're fantastically versatile, utilitarian bikes, and tend to be very durable. Parts are mostly 7 and 8 speed and easy and inexpensive to find. 26" wheels, all other things being equal, are more durable than 700c wheels, and they usually were intended to be used with approximately 2" tires, and often clear a bit more, up to about 2.3".
Old 03-31-21, 08:16 AM
homeless in ca.

I decided I'm going to sell my original bike. I spent the past few weeks collecting used bikes and parts and got 3 different bikes I like better plus some junkers I got free to use for parts.

1. Minelli Promenade.
2. Miele Umbria
3. Vintage Raleigh women's bike.

First bike I got was the Minelli. It looks like it was set up by someone who knew what they were doing because the front wheel is much larger than the back one. But the back wheel is too skinny for me and doesn't have enough gears to match the shifter. When I try to use the highest gear the chain falls off and gets jammed. If I upshift the front shifter then I have a usable range of gears. But ideally I should try and find a bigger 8 speed wheel and I haven't had any luck. Since these wheels look like they've been replaced and are in mint condition and I have another bike I like more now I will probably part it out and keep the frame. It's a little rusty and I want to try painting it and building a bike from scratch. What do you people think of that idea? Is the Minelli Promenade a good candidate for a build?

When I bought the Miele I was really happy. It belonged to an older gentleman and it's mint. It was a score someone else was gonna get it before me but it was out in the sticks and I had to drive over an hour to get there. But now I'm stressed that such a nice bike will get stolen or I'm gonna ruin it.

Then I got the Raleigh and fell in love with it. The lady who owned it rescued it from the trash and fixed it up a little. I love how it rides. I still need bigger tires. But I got an old girls mountain bike to use for parts and the front rim looks like it will fit. This bike is gonna be perfect for me to do my errands and go bike riding with my kid. Then I can keep the Minelli as a project bike.

Anyway it's good I bought some junky bikes to play with because I almost broke the Minelli trying to get the old handlebar out. Fortunately I found a YouTube video on how (not) to do it and with a bit of heat and penetrating oil was able to break it free.

Thanks for all the good advice. Thank you.