Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 08:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,452 Times in 4,670 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Could I still be hurting from my awesome ride on Thursday? Doesn’t seem possible to me, but if I am not sick than that’s the only other thing I can think of.
If you haven't been getting adequate sleep. Hell, lack of adequate sleep can lead to that dragging feeling even without a recent killer ride in the bag. I went through that a couple years ago and didn't get over it until I pulled up my big boy pants my old man pants up to my navel and started getting ready for bed at 9:00pm or so.
Old 03-08-21, 08:17 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A former club member and irregular group ride guest showed up for the ride yesterday. It's always good to see him - he's a strong rider, a steady wheel to follow and just a really good guy. Anyway, he works next to the LBS and is in really tight with those guys. Yesterday, he gave us a warning "if you guys need bike stuff, you'd better get it sooner rather than later. If you ordered a Shimano chain at the Catfish today, do you know when you'd get it? They're saying November...."

Yikes. My chains aren't in need of replacement yet, but they may be some time this summer, so I checked the local shops that show inventory availability online. Yeeeaah, notsomuch.

I was already feeling a little anxious about popping the new tires on so early in the year, and only having one on-hand in back-up, so I've been thinking about ordering next year's tires, just in case. Welp, this put me over the edge, so I just ordered next year's tires and two new chains for whenever I need them.
Don't know the original source, but I've seen this circulating lately.

Old 03-08-21, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

No bueno. Spent all my funds on that ritchey. Luckily I have gators for back ups, plenty of tubes and I still have that to short chain, but if needed I can make that work. Only thing I can think that might need replacing by summer is the cables on my Cervelo. I have a feeling once I get the Ritchey up I won’t be riding the cervelo all that much for a while.
Nah - you shouldn't need any cables just yet and those Gators will eventually last longer than you want them to.

Do you think that you're going to be riding the Richey in town, too? I thought that it was going to primarily be a travel bike?
Old 03-08-21, 08:20 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rjones28
Don't know the original source, but I've seen this circulating lately.

Eeesh. So the play is to buy enough consumables to keep yourself up and runnin' until things return to normal-ish and all of these Johnny-come-lately folks start dumping off their used bikes for pennies on the dollar on CL and FB?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-08-21, 08:22 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts
If you haven't been getting adequate sleep. Hell, lack of adequate sleep can lead to that dragging feeling even without a recent killer ride in the bag. I went through that a couple years ago and didn't get over it until I pulled up my big boy pants my old man pants up to my navel and started getting ready for bed at 9:00pm or so.
It might be the sleep. Between thursday and sunday I think I only got about 10 hours total. Between the excitement of knowing the Ritchey was coming (i am a child) and then having to wake up at 230am to fly to ohio, and then not getting back til 10 pm. BTW Lily has no interest in ever becoming a pilot or flight attendant or anything remotely related to airline anything after spending all day with me Saturday. The crazy thing, not one of our 4 flights was delayed, we didn’t have any hiccups at all. I think that is a first for me.
Old 03-08-21, 08:26 AM
WhyFi

Yeah, that could do it.

Oh, did the whole fam come with you for the pick-up? That's brave.
Old 03-08-21, 08:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
A former club member and irregular group ride guest showed up for the ride yesterday. It's always good to see him - he's a strong rider, a steady wheel to follow and just a really good guy. Anyway, he works next to the LBS and is in really tight with those guys. Yesterday, he gave us a warning "if you guys need bike stuff, you'd better get it sooner rather than later. If you ordered a Shimano chain at the Catfish today, do you know when you'd get it? They're saying November...."

Yikes. My chains aren't in need of replacement yet, but they may be some time this summer, so I checked the local shops that show inventory availability online. Yeeeaah, notsomuch.

I was already feeling a little anxious about popping the new tires on so early in the year, and only having one on-hand in back-up, so I've been thinking about ordering next year's tires, just in case. Welp, this put me over the edge, so I just ordered next year's tires and two new chains for whenever I need them.
I have three chains in the new parts bin. The online sellers seem to have good inventory on most wear items.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-08-21, 08:31 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 978 Posts
Eeesh. So the play is to buy enough consumables to keep yourself up and runnin' until things return to normal-ish and all of these Johnny-come-lately folks start dumping off their used bikes for pennies on the dollar on CL and FB?
Thank god I'm doing a new chain and brake pads this week. I'm guessing I should buy some tires just in case.
Old 03-08-21, 08:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Agree. My cycling friends who are from Europe are shocked about how prudish Americans are about taking a leak discreetly. It should be a non-issue.
If they're going to be prudes, at least provide a private place to do it. It's a real ride planning consideration for me now.
Old 03-08-21, 08:33 AM
bampilot06

Nah - you shouldn't need any cables just yet and those Gators will eventually last longer than you want them to.

Do you think that you're going to be riding the Richey in town, too? I thought that it was going to primarily be a travel bike?

So I still have to make some purchases before I will be ready to bring the Ritchey with me. First, the case is the original case, and it doesn’t have any wheels. It also has this bulge on the side so when you put the rear wheel in cassette side down the cassette is protected. Neat trick but the bulge takes a lot of room and it will make it impossible to put behind my seat. Second, I need to get a seat post bike pump to bring with me. Third, I want some of those single torque wrenches 4nm, 5nm, 6nm so I don’t have another accident. I don’t think I trust my chinese torque wrench and I def don’t want to bring the whole wrench and case with me. Fourth, 25 mm gators. I don’t want to have to worry about a flat. Fifth, bottle cages. It doesn’t have any currently. Will prolly take Lily’s white ones. She wants maroon for her bike. Sixth, pedals. All I have are some bontrager platforms. Need to get 3 sets of Spd Sl. One for the C2, Lily’s Domane, and the Ritchey.
Last would be a cheapo bike computer. Not a high priority.
Old 03-08-21, 08:33 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have three chains in the new parts bin. The online sellers seem to have good inventory on most wear items.
Yeah, for now, though I'm already seeing fewer discounts, which is why I picked some up while the gettin's good. I think that, as riding weather approaches nationwide, we'll see a bit of an inventory cascade - people will go to their LBS for something, find out that they're out, then they'll go online. I would assume that the lower-priced, domestic vendors will be cleared out in short order, and then people will start casting wider nets and/or become less price-sensitive.
Old 03-08-21, 08:34 AM
bampilot06

Yeah, that could do it.

Oh, did the whole fam come with you for the pick-up? That's brave.
Grams watched the little one. Lily came with. I don’t have facebook so she actually did all the communicating with the Seller. She actually found this particular breakaway and made the initial offer before I even knew about it. I am one lucky guy.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-08-21, 08:36 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Thank god I'm doing a new chain and brake pads this week. I'm guessing I should buy some tires just in case.

I have a gently used GP3000 23mm. Would look great on the revolt.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-08-21, 08:39 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I haven't taken a catastrophic slash in four years or so, but that still concerns me. I'd hate to wear out my rear tire in July or so and then take a slash to the new tire a week later (science says that new tires are 473% more likely to take a slash than tires with thousands of miles on them).
Old 03-08-21, 08:44 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

I haven't taken a catastrophic slash in four years or so, but that still concerns me. I'd hate to wear out my rear tire in July or so and then take a slash to the new tire a week later (science says that new tires are 473% more likely to take a slash than tires with thousands of miles on them).
This is true
Old 03-08-21, 08:46 AM
WhyFi

So I still have to make some purchases before I will be ready to bring the Ritchey with me. First, the case is the original case, and it doesn’t have any wheels. It also has this bulge on the side so when you put the rear wheel in cassette side down the cassette is protected. Neat trick but the bulge takes a lot of room and it will make it impossible to put behind my seat. Second, I need to get a seat post bike pump to bring with me. Third, I want some of those single torque wrenches 4nm, 5nm, 6nm so I don’t have another accident. I don’t think I trust my chinese torque wrench and I def don’t want to bring the whole wrench and case with me. Fourth, 25 mm gators. I don’t want to have to worry about a flat. Fifth, bottle cages. It doesn’t have any currently. Will prolly take Lily’s white ones. She wants maroon for her bike. Sixth, pedals. All I have are some bontrager platforms. Need to get 3 sets of Spd Sl. One for the C2, Lily’s Domane, and the Ritchey.
Last would be a cheapo bike computer. Not a high priority.
Oof. Aren't new bike accessories fun?

Since it'd be out of character for me to not try to spend more of your money, by recommending something expensive but siiiiiick, I think that this would make a nice travel torque wrench -

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-08-21, 09:03 AM
bampilot06

Oof. Aren't new bike accessories fun?

Since it'd be out of character for me to not try to spend more of your money, by recommending something expensive but siiiiiick, I think that this would make a nice travel torque wrench -

Thats nice and 50 dollars cheaper than I would have thought it would be.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-08-21, 09:10 AM
WhyFi

Thats nice and 50 dollars cheaper than I would have thought it would be.
Sold!
Old 03-08-21, 09:16 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-08-21, 09:24 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

We went to our friends' brewery that is around the corner from us yesterday afternoon for some socially distanced Sunday Funday. Both owners are cyclists (her a triathlete and him mostly MTB / fat biking) and we spent a lot of the afternoon talking about training / riding and how fun it is in general. The Mrs. hasn't been able to ride for a year because of nerve damage in her foot (that is since fixed) and she asked me to pull the Guru down this morning and get it ready for her to start riding again. I'm pretty excited that we're going to be able to do some riding together soon. The consumables discussion got me thinking about what I need to get her to make it more enjoyable. First and foremost is ditching the 23s she has for 28s if possible and converting her to tubeless.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-08-21, 09:26 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Totally.
Old 03-08-21, 09:32 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22580 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
If they're going to be prudes, at least provide a private place to do it. It's a real ride planning consideration for me now.
Yeah. I am lucky that our area is rural enough, there are decent private areas to get relief every few miles if needed.
Old 03-08-21, 09:47 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Yeah, for now, though I'm already seeing fewer discounts, which is why I picked some up while the gettin's good. I think that, as riding weather approaches nationwide, we'll see a bit of an inventory cascade - people will go to their LBS for something, find out that they're out, then they'll go online. I would assume that the lower-priced, domestic vendors will be cleared out in short order, and then people will start casting wider nets and/or become less price-sensitive.
Posted on Bicycle Retailer yesterday:

Broken Chain: Small and new brands hard hit by component shortage | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-08-21, 10:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12741 Post(s)
Liked 7,656 Times in 4,060 Posts
I'm trying to decide between 2 or 3 sets of these. I'm tempted to get even more and try selling them on FB, but I dunno how many people would want shorty 33mm valvestems these days

https://www.randombikeparts.com/prod...nner-tubes-new
Old 03-08-21, 10:07 AM
WhyFi

This was in an email this morning - man, why spend $1k for that CF Spec balance bike when $99 will get you this sweet magnesium number?

Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.