Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will 10spd chain work on 11spd Shimano 105?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 09:25 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts

Also curious if an 11spd road bike takes the same chain as an 11spd MTB? I have been researching for hours and finding conflicting information so I'm turning to the pros to get the facts, you guys. Thanks in advance,
Old 02-08-21, 09:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
It may work but it is not designed for that hence the different chains. Zinn sort of addressed this issue in reverse on VeloNews

You really won't save much buying a 10 speed chain over a proper 11 speed chain anyway and if you already have the 10 speed chain keep it and use it another time or sell it to someone with a 10 speed drivetrain and get the right one.

11 speed is compatible with road and mountain however and is fairly compatible cross brands which is not common but somehow 11 speed hit some magical point of convergence
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-09-21, 03:38 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
10 speed chain on 11 speed cassette super doesn't work--the spacing between cogs is smaller, and thus the chain is thinner. Doing so will skip over cogs.

Road/mountain thing is less cut and dry. Generally they're interchangeable because the cassette spacing is the same, but some are intended for 1x drivetrains.
Likes For cpach:
Old 02-09-21, 09:51 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It may work but it is not designed for that hence the different chains. Zinn sort of addressed this issue in reverse on VeloNews

You really won't save much buying a 10 speed chain over a proper 11 speed chain anyway and if you already have the 10 speed chain keep it and use it another time or sell it to someone with a 10 speed drivetrain and get the right one.

11 speed is compatible with road and mountain however and is fairly compatible cross brands which is not common but somehow 11 speed hit some magical point of convergence
Thank you for the info. My older bikes aren't picky, but I don't want to mess up my Fuji by being cheap or stupid.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 02-09-21, 09:52 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by cpach
10 speed chain on 11 speed cassette super doesn't work--the spacing between cogs is smaller, and thus the chain is thinner. Doing so will skip over cogs.

Road/mountain thing is less cut and dry. Generally they're interchangeable because the cassette spacing is the same, but some are intended for 1x drivetrains.
Thanks for the info. In other words. I should buy the chain that is recommended for the drive train, period.