Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Preventative lubing of Campy Mirage levers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 05:54 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts

I am doing some maintenance on a little-used 1999 Bianchi Sen Remo 9sp, equipped with Campy Mirage levers. Will be replacing the original shift & brake cables & housings. The levers seem to shift okay, maybe a bit stiffly. I have read here at BF of riders dousing the innards of shift levers with PB Blaster or similar to lube and restore shift/brake levers.

In general, I believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but would it be useful to squirt a little lube into these levers while the cables are out and bar tape off? I understand that Campy levers can be disassembled, but that's not on the menu.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-25-21, 06:02 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
PB Blaster is not a lube, it will help degrade any current lube however. Adding a drop or three of suitable oil to the shift pod internals is a good idea. Campy has had a few lube ports molded into some versions of their Ergo levers, one form the inside face and one form above, both under the body hood. I use Phil, FL Wet and Chain L for this once a year, or so. I would not inject thick grease or use thin penetrants. Andy
Old 03-26-21, 07:38 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Campagnolo shifters don't usually fail because of grease that has thickened with age, at least mine haven't. Rather, what fails is the g-springs or the spring carrier. A few drops of oil can't hurt but a flush could actually make things worse
Old 03-26-21, 09:03 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Campy has had a few lube ports molded into some versions of their Ergo levers, one form the inside face and one form above, both under the body hood. I use Phil, FL Wet and Chain L for this once a year, or so. I would not inject thick grease or use thin penetrants. Andy
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Campagnolo shifters don't usually fail because of grease that has thickened with age, at least mine haven't. Rather, what fails is the g-springs or the spring carrier. A few drops of oil can't hurt but a flush could actually make things worse
Gents, thanks for the tips. I found a lube port on the inside/top of Mirage levers that runs right down to the bottom of the downshift thumbies, and I put a couple-three drops of a nice oil into them. I worked the shifters a bit and the oil made its way to the visible part of the mechanism. Shifting feels a bit less stiff.

Thanks for waving me off the flush.