Talfalfa33

Bikes: 2011 Scott speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the site from Dallas

Hello All,
New to this forum and wanted to say hello. Was looking for a bike forum for the phone and found this one. I'm just getting started back up after not riding for three years due to a broken tailbone and two years of chemo and a year of two jobs to pay for chemo. Trying to get back into it since the chemo wiped out all my strength and lost my stamina for riding and gained soooo much weight. So trying to loose it and get back down to what I should be at. Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated. Or even if there's anyone in Dallas the I can ride with, it makes it harder to just say I'll ride tomorrow instead of the moment you have right then.
Old 04-05-14, 09:01 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums. Sorry to hear about your illness. Hope your recovery goes full speed. I am in Houston so I can't ride with you. There are a number of clubs and groups in the Dallas area. To find events and clubs you can check out my website Texbiker.net. There are a large number of riders at White Rock Lake. I rode there a few times when I used to visit my daughter and son-in-law when they lived in Dallas.
Old 04-14-14, 08:25 PM
bjtesch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Talfalfa33
Or even if there's anyone in Dallas the I can ride with
Give us a hint of your approximate area and maybe there will be someone on the forum that lives close by.

There are a lot of organized rides in this area. Find the nearest large bike shop to you and ask there if they have any organized rides. You will want to find rides that are at your pace, preferably rides where they pledge to not leave anyone behind.
Old 04-14-14, 11:31 PM
Talfalfa33

Bikes: 2011 Scott speedster S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjtesch
Give us a hint of your approximate area and maybe there will be someone on the forum that lives close by.

There are a lot of organized rides in this area. Find the nearest large bike shop to you and ask there if they have any organized rides. You will want to find rides that are at your pace, preferably rides where they pledge to not leave anyone behind.

Well, to start off with, thank you for the welcome and in regards to location. I am in southeast part of Dallas, close to Mesquite and Balch springs. I ride mostly at Whie Rock Lake. But the only problem with riding with a group from a LBS is that I can't make the times. The only real times I have to ride are in the evenings. Any where between 6:30-7:00 pm to get started. So by time I finish, it's gotten dark and most people don't like to be out when it's dark out.
Old 10-09-14, 07:51 AM
tottenham21

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just joined an amazing cycling club in the Frisco area call Shawnee trail cycling club go to their website and have a good look at their rides schedule they have different rides during the week with different times so hopefully 1 of those will fit your availability. .good luck
Old 10-09-14, 11:06 PM
realmac

Bikes: Windsor Wellington SL, GT Timberline 2.0, Takara Kabuto (for sale)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joined the Carrollton Bike Club a few weeks ago. Haven't ridden with them yet, but am also doing the 25mile stretch ride as part of North Texas Bicycle Rally (Home Page). Thought about the 50 but I'm a little iffy on my ability to keep up with the crowd. Hoping the weather holds out.