Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

night ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 10:00 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
night ride

As the weather is currently hot and humid here in sw wi. I decided to wait until dark yesterday to do a short ride on the badger trail. I had forgotten about bugs. After 8 miles I felt like a windshield (or at least how I imagine a windshield might feel were it sentinent) and looked like a radiator. I would have taken pictures but hey! it was dark.

It was pretty nice other than the 100 yards of freshly laid down gravel which had to be negotiated, somewhat trickier in the dark. (and the bugs of course) I know it has been talked about before, but as I don't often do night rides it is always a pleasent surprise to remember how nice they can be. I'll do more of them after the cold weather comes and the bug factor lessens.
Old 08-28-13, 10:18 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've done an enormous amount of night riding, including several overnight rides (i.e. 24 hour rides, etc.) ... at various times of the year - warmest was mid-summer, coldest was around 15 degrees with dry roads but snow on the fields. And I enjoy night riding immensely.

'Course certain precautions must be taken - regarding lighting, reflective gear, visibility, route selection, and so on; and I recommend riding with a group.

I always ride with (clear) glasses - to avoid wind in the eyes, as well as the bugs you described.

I know several riders who won't go out in the dark because of safety concerns, but if you can manage those, I highly recommend night riding. It's an easy way to build up your mileage or get in some extra training hours when your daylight hours are crammed with less important activities (like work ).
Old 08-28-13, 12:17 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Coincidentally, I did a late ride yesterday and got back just after dark. Tons of gnats and other small insects. Swallowed dozens and had dozens more stuck to my sweaty bod....
Old 08-28-13, 12:24 PM
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also started doing some "night" riding this summer in south TX to keep my mileage up. On my weekend rides I'll start my morning rides about and hour to an hour and a half early.

I make sure I ride a route I know very well, have good lights, and wear reflective clothing also. Here in south TX it really helps with the heat and wind because they can get bad starting mid morning. Our lows for summers are typically around 80F where I live but that is still much better than the day temps. Humidity is an issue 24 hours a day and bugs, yeah we have plenty of those, 365 days a year.

Doing those earlier morning starts has allowed me to keep my miles up this summer.
Old 08-28-13, 12:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I have done my last 2 century's at night to avoid the Sun's direct heat.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jeff200-24-X2.jpg (89.8 KB, 15 views)

Old 08-28-13, 01:27 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
In the winter time my commutes to work and back home are all "night" rides. With good lights I actually feel more visible/safer at night.

What I really enjoy is night time Mountain Biking. It takes a bright light and laser focus on the trail as depth perception can be an issue on the technical sections.
Old 08-28-13, 02:22 PM
Robes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heading out tonight for an evening ride with my daughter. Sometimes we get back at ...late dusk. I call it that because we are riding a rail trail and you aren't suppose to be on it after dark. I just installed lights on both bikes yesterday,.... I also ride with clear glasses because it helps keep my contact lenses from drying out......
Old 08-28-13, 03:04 PM
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last night's women's mtb ride ended in the dark - and I didn't have lights! I didn't think the ride would be as long as it was, so when it got too dark, I put my little emergency flash light on the handle bars and one of the other women let me ride close to her to make use of her light, but the last 10 minutes were a bit of an adventure.
Old 08-28-13, 04:48 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I finally bought a light for the bike this year. I've had several opportunities to try it out at night and have been satisfied with the visibility provided by 350 lumens on road and bike path riding. As has been said, bugs are a problem at night. I've found a nice, (not too clunky looking) pair of safety glasses with plain, clear lenses at Home Depot, cheap.
Old 08-28-13, 07:20 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Love riding at night. I cannot understand why so many are turned off by it. Whatever.
Besides lights and reflective material, the essentials list includes bug repellent, and a good
pair of wrap around style glasses. For bug repellent, I like cutters back woodsman. It does
seem to get the job done.
Old 08-28-13, 08:00 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I love it - riding in the country where it's super dark and my lights really work well. Not so much in the city.

Hills don't seem so steep in the dark.
Old 08-29-13, 03:02 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
In the winter time my commutes to work and back home are all "night" rides. With good lights I actually feel more visible/safer at night.
I work evenings, so my commute to work is around 2pm and ride home is after 11pm. I actually feel safer in the dark with two rear and two front lights. Drivers during the day have to many distractions; other cars, following to close, scenery, etc... and usually pass to close. At night, judging by the wide berth most drivers pass with, they must see me better and have more focus on the road, which equals a safer commute for me.

Plus, riding at night feels relaxing and therapeutic. It's really enjoyable on moonlight rides.

Last edited by GFish; 08-30-13 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-29-13, 03:31 PM
niuoka

Bikes: trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
enjoyable and therapeutic, unless its pouring down rain, like often happens in the PNW
Old 08-29-13, 06:03 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My wife and I start most of our rides well before sunrise. We often finish before sunrise as well. It's nice to ride 110 km and be passed by fewer than ten cars. The same route during daylight hours would have us passed by over 100 motorists. This is our version of "safety in numbers". We look for those ever-shrinking golden hours after the drunks have landed and before the commuters hit the road.

Of course we have a bit more wildlife to contend with. This morning we had four cars pass us on our forty mile loop, but seven deer decided to play with us in various ways. Good lights (with redundancy), good reflective gear, good brakes and attentive riders are all helpful.
Old 08-30-13, 01:33 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
The bugs are not very filling but they are loaded with protein. Say AHHHH while riding.
Old 08-30-13, 01:40 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
The bugs are not very filling but they are loaded with protein. Say AHHHH while riding.
It's not the bug in the mouth but the two in the nose!