Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where's the least expensive place to get SRAM groupsets?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 11:34 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I see a lot of online shops based in England that give great deals on Shimano groupsets.

I was wondering where are the best places to buy SRAM groupsets? Are there sites where they are cheaper than other places?

Also, anyone know of a weight comparison chart between Shimano and SRAM groupsets? Meaning does Force weigh less or more than Ultegra for instance?
Old 06-29-15, 11:52 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
No one beats Ribble's prices. Just be sure to change your location and currency to U.S.

Ribble Cycles Groupset Creator
Old 06-29-15, 12:00 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Try here for weights:

Component Weights

Also, if you're building a SRAM group from scratch, might as well get the longer cage RD just in case you ever feel like you need a 32 tooth cassette. The difference is minimal, unless you buy one later like I did.
Old 06-29-15, 12:10 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
No one beats Ribble's prices. Just be sure to change your location and currency to U.S.

Ribble Cycles Groupset Creator
Merlin is cheaper
Groupsets | Shimano Groupset | Merlin Cycles
Old 06-29-15, 12:26 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SRAM's comparable groupsets have historically weighed less than Shimano's. Personally, I see that as icing on the cake because I prefer SRAM, but I hear that the weight savings aren't worth using the ergonomics or the actuation if you don't prefer it.
Old 06-29-15, 12:32 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PiLigand
SRAM's comparable groupsets have historically weighed less than Shimano's. Personally, I see that as icing on the cake because I prefer SRAM, but I hear that the weight savings aren't worth using the ergonomics or the actuation if you don't prefer it.
Also longevity. I tried Apex on one bike and they seem to start wearing out very quickly and I could never get the front deraileur to consistently shift the first time the lever was pulled. I did like the ergonomics but new 11 speed shimano fixed the ergonomic issues i had with older shimano
Old 06-29-15, 12:52 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
Also longevity. I tried Apex on one bike and they seem to start wearing out very quickly and I could never get the front deraileur to consistently shift the first time the lever was pulled. I did like the ergonomics but new 11 speed shimano fixed the ergonomic issues i had with older shimano
Interesting. I've heard the longevity argument before. I believe Shimano has a reputation for being more reliable, but I'm surprised about the derailleur. Some of the guys at my LBS were complaining about how hard the shimano FDs were to properly tune as compared to SRAM's. I believe they were talking about Red and Force vs DuraAce/Ultegra, though. Not Apex.

For what it's worth, my 2012 Rival (which I believe is just today's Apex) has never needed a tuneup since I got it. I mean, I've been taking care of it and fiddling, but never because it NEEDED it. Always worked fine.
Old 06-29-15, 01:13 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Only on occasion. Ribble usually wins on price. It looks like Red 22 and Record might be a hair cheaper at Merlin right now (and Red might have been exactly what you were talking about), but I don't see much else.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 06-29-15 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 01:31 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Also, anyone know of a weight comparison chart between Shimano and SRAM groupsets? Meaning does Force weigh less or more than Ultegra for instance?
You save the most weight with SRAM by going BB30 (which I guess you will not be using given your current penchant for steel frames). Otherwise the difference is in SRAM's favor, to the tune of about 150 grams typically for equivalent levels.
Old 06-29-15, 01:46 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cool, thanks for all of the info.

My latest CL purchase came with 2010 SRAM Rival/Force components and it shifts better than my brand new Shimano stuff.

I'm thinking if I upgrade or build another bike in the future that I want to go SRAM Force or Red on it.

Although, I was checking out the Shimano Ultegra Di2 shifters on a bike in the store and they seemed pretty nice.