Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why does it seem difficult to find bikes that come with SRAM?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why does it seem difficult to find bikes that come with SRAM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 11:13 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I know this is heresy: but while I love my DA9000, my 2010 Campy Centaur 10 speed shifts AMAZING. I really don't know what the deal is. It's supposed to be "worse."

If I had the money for my next build and didn't already have a box of 5700 stuff, I would go 1x11 for my CX commuter/touring bike.
Old 07-10-15, 12:39 PM
RR3
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No trim front derailleur and basically set and forget rear derailleurs with SRAM. My last Dura Ace 10 Speed required adjustment constantly or let's say too often and whats with two levers on Shimano.....one to upshift and another to downshift. Obiously, I am not interested in DI.
Old 07-10-15, 01:34 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
From a gearing ratio perspective, 1x11 makes no sense to me.

SRAM Red has a stellar mid-cage rear derailleur that paired with a 11-32 and either my 53x38 or my 46x34, it gives me all I need from a TT to touring in the mountains. Does anyone make a better cassette than SRAM? Light, strong, durable althugh not cheap......no plastic like ****maNO. Let me edit that.....Scheiße-MA-NO
42 front chain ring, and a 10-42 cassette gives you a lower gear than your setup, almost as high a gear as your setup, and not terribly large jumps.

Personally, I think 1x11 makes more sense for cyclocross, but as we add more cogs to the back you can cover more range with smaller gaps. At some point you don't need two front chainrings.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-10-15, 01:51 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Because pushing their components on bike manufacturers is not their business model? Maybe they want to be a brand that discerning people purposefully select for their individual builds and upgrades, rather than the generic original equipment found on indifferent factory builds.
Has anyone asked SRAM?
What the hell is that supposed to mean? That is like one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.
Old 07-10-15, 01:53 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
I see this discussion is pointless.
wet noodle
Old 07-10-15, 02:04 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or al-dente macaroni. "Italian engineering to provide the perfect blend of lateral stiffness and vertical compliance."

I would not likely trust much branded with "Italian engineering," though.

I had noticed the same trend in floor-model bikes. It seems very this-year in decline. I wonder if it's because SRAM has been putting their resources into developing the 1x and electronic drivetrains. Zipp also seems less prevalent than last year. Maybe once everything launches, we'll see them look more into sponsoring and supplying.
Old 07-10-15, 02:06 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Because pushing their components on bike manufacturers is not their business model? Maybe they want to be a brand that discerning people purposefully select for their individual builds and upgrades, rather than the generic original equipment found on indifferent factory builds.
Has anyone asked SRAM?
Originally Posted by cthenn
What the hell is that supposed to mean? That is like one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.
What it's supposed to mean is that Shimano focuses heavily on selling to manufacturers. They price aggressively, and use their muscle to get manufacturers to spec Shimano as OEM.

SRAM tends to be less successful getting spec'd as OEM, so may focus more on selling to individuals building up frames.

You can debate how true that is, but it's not a dumb point.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-10-15, 02:15 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I will offer one small observation. I worked in a shop that sold Trek and Cannondale (as well as BMC, Colnago, Surly, and Salsa). Cannondale loves them some SRAM. A large part of that is because SRAM was the only large groupset manufacturer that offered a BB30 crank. Campy now offers one, but that's pretty recent. As a result, you see much more SRAM on Cannondale bikes than anything else, or so it would seem. Trek, on the other hand, made their own BB standard that used the standard 24mm crank spindle found on Shimano's cranks. Other manufacturers have similar standards for pressfit BB's that pretty much just work when you throw a hollowtech II crank on there. That and Shimano has been around a while longer, giving them brand recognition as well as more leverage in the OEM market.

I don't dislike SRAM, but they are still the "new kid" even after they came onto the road scene so strongly something like a decade ago.
Old 07-10-15, 02:21 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May be relevant to note how many Protour cycling teams are still running SRAM. Also may be of interest to note that several switched to shimano mid-season out of their own budgets because of rider complaints.
Old 07-10-15, 04:31 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
What it's supposed to mean is that Shimano focuses heavily on selling to manufacturers. They price aggressively, and use their muscle to get manufacturers to spec Shimano as OEM.

SRAM tends to be less successful getting spec'd as OEM, so may focus more on selling to individuals building up frames.

No dumber than the original question I figured, and yes, that's pretty much what I was speculating - imagining what SRAMs own spin might be. Thanks for putting it another way.
Old 07-10-15, 04:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sram's road racing Components don't reach very far down in the price tiers , like Campag,

where Shimano has component manufacturing robots supplying the whole price spectrum .

the Core of Sram getting into the OEM business was Suing Shimano for its Un fair trade practices ,
then Buying out a Competitor, Sachs.
Old 07-10-15, 07:09 PM
RomeoTango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not about the macaroni people...it's all about the gravy....
Old 07-10-15, 07:52 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
To the OP, I feel your pain. I'd really like to get a second road bike, but need to do it on a budget. I can find bikes with Sram Apex, or Sram Red. It's darn near impossible to find a decent mid-level bike with Force (or even non-disc Rival). There's no reason for Trek to not offer an Emonda ALR6 at the same price, but with Force22 (for example).
Old 07-10-15, 08:03 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Potatoe!"
Old 07-10-15, 08:14 PM
bananabacon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I don't know why, but I really don't like spaghetti and red sauce, even if it's good. It's just so ubiquitous. But I love me some freakin' pasta of just about any other variety. In particular: any chicken dish with a white wine or lemon butter sauce.

I also like Dura Ace.
I like to have solid diets of white rice w/chicken and steak and cheese subs. It makes your arse asplode. But the quicker its out the faster you eat mawr.
Old 07-10-15, 09:19 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Nah nah nah, he was writing it like SRAM is superior to Shimano because it's harder to find, or a "niche" brand. It's the typical lame hipster argument that means nothing. Yes, Shimano is the mass produced crap for the plebs, whereas SRAM is for the discerning, well informed buyer, huehuehue!

Last edited by cthenn; 07-10-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 09:34 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sram and I will probably stick with it, never really liked the look of shimano.
Old 07-10-15, 09:35 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many weight weenies love sram, and usually won't try other groupsets based purely on weight.
Old 07-10-15, 09:59 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
most cyclists, including myself probably stuck with the same group manufacturer that was on their first roadie.
Old 07-11-15, 06:37 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
May be relevant to note how many Protour cycling teams are still running SRAM. Also may be of interest to note that several switched to shimano mid-season out of their own budgets because of rider complaints.
One in the current Tour. It's AG2R.
Old 07-11-15, 07:01 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
wet noodle
Even a wet noodle has two points, thats two more than this thread. This thread is anelli pasta.