Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Diamondback road bikes, opinions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 09:33 AM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering buying a Diamondback road bike(like the spec for the price and geometry), and was just curious what you guys think of this brand. Good, bad?
Old 07-13-15, 09:58 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
A lot of people have a bad opinion because of the brand association with big box stores. I don't own one or have ridden one so I can't speak from experience but I know the reviews on the Haanjo gravel bikes are all spectacular. I've also read a lot of great reviews on the Podium. I would have no reservations buying one as long as it's higher quality bikes like the ones sold at Performance
Old 07-13-15, 10:59 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I own a DB cross bike, which they stopped producing for 2015, but the Haanjo is pretty close to (apart from the one I have has cantilever brakes, rather than disc). The reason I own one is that I got it at a bargain basement price (about 50% of MSRP), and people at the time were recommending cross bikes as something that could take a bigger guy such as myself. I'll give you my utterly honest opinion of my 18 months with this bike.

I've ridden this bike about 4,500 miles, most of it as a road bike. The bike was not without issues, for one I bought it as a "bike in a box", which meant it came part assembled. The assembly I found was somewhat lacking, especially the bottom bracket (a BB30), which failed on me in about 150 miles. When I got it rebuilt it was clear that they just banged the bearings into the frame with no grease or loctite. If I had bought this bike from a bike shop, they likely would have gone over it and discovered such issues and fixed them before selling me the bike. At least, I hope so.

The stock wheels were crap. I replaced them.

Otherwise, the bike has been an extremely solid performer. Certainly for the price I paid (~$700) for a 105 equipped bike, it's been great, and has held up well (except for the wheel and BB initially). I still ride it every week, despite now having a much nicer/more expensive bike as it's become my "rain bike", and occasional gravel grinder. As rms13 says, if you buy your bike from a shop like Performance, I expect you will have a great experience. DB are really pushing themselves as a higher end brand these days, with the new Podiums topping out at $9K MSRP.

I think the biggest issue with the bike is other people's perception of the brand. For whatever reason DB have the reputation for being Walmart style bikes, which is inaccurate of course because they never sold them at Walmart or Target. They do sell them in sporting good stores like Dicks, although my local Dicks only has mountain bikes and hybrids, no road/cross bikes.

IMHO they're good bikes for a low price.

Attached Images

Last edited by dr_lha; 07-13-15 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 11:34 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a carbon podium 5 with mavic kysrium sls wheels and 105 group. It's a decent bike, very good at absorbing vibration from chip seal roads, feels nice and stiff without being harsh, turns well, quick handling without being so twitchy you are iffy about standing up and hammering up climbs.

if you get it for a decent price, go for it.
Old 07-13-15, 12:08 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider125
I'm considering buying a Diamondback road bike(like the spec for the price and geometry), and was just curious what you guys think of this brand. Good, bad?
I've seen last year's models at Sports Authority for pretty good prices, better deals than bikesdirect.

I do have a Diamondback on my C&V dream bike list. If I see one for $200 or less, would buy in a heartbeat.

Old 07-13-15, 01:45 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with what's been said: A big-box brand that also makes some pretty decent bikes on the side. Much like Schwinn used to do. Podium series look quite nice.
Old 07-13-15, 01:48 PM
rekon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has the DB Airen. It's a solid bike w/ Tiagra components.

As someone already mentioned, if you could get one at a decent price, go for it.
Old 07-13-15, 06:12 PM
thatcycleguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a podium that I upgraded to Durace. Great bike for the money. I would and will buy again.
Old 07-13-15, 06:20 PM
m78596c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider125
I have a 2012 podium 5, got it off amazon for about $1200 a couple of years ago. I have put about 6500 miles on it so far, and it's been a great bike. Confident cornering and stiff/light for the climbs.

Mine came with a standard crankset, which is no good for the climbs around here (at least for me). I replaced that with a compact (rotor 3d). Also I put some shimano tubeless wheels on it. That carbon frame with tubeless tires is very smooth. Before the tubeless tires, I had used latex tubes in the wheelset that came with the bike, and that was smooth riding as well.