Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What IS it with everyone tonight?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 07:47 AM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

We are normally a bike friendly community, but everyone was in a bad mood last night. We were a small group, spread out riding AFRAP on small roads. We got beeped at, yelled at. One guy buzzed us with his side view mirror. He pulled into his driveway about a quarter mile up the road, and gets out and starts yelling at us. Now we know where he lives. When he buzzed us, did he think through the possible consequences of hitting a rider with witnesses around? Not to mention he may have been recorded? It was a clear attempt to intimidate. I find this very upsetting. Then, a couple of miles up on an even more rural road, the most upsetting thing happened. A Hilljack smoked us. There was absolutely no reason other than to be a jerk. There were three riders single file AFRAP. He pulled up next to them, slowed down, did whatever you do, and belched out a huge, black noxious cloud. I would make this assault, which it most certainly is in addition to an environmental crime, damn it. I think this is the most disgusting thing I deal with. Pollution, carcinogens. It was weird that we ran into an epidemic of bad motorist behavior. i had been thinking that motorists were behaving a little better lately. When I was riding to the ride start, waiting at a red light in a village, a car ran the red light flagrantly. It was a sign of things to come, and I don't think it was even a full moon. This ride made me think I should get a camera.
Old 07-14-15, 07:58 AM
jrossbeck

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to blame your group, but you probably should rethink your decision to have the town nudist ride last in formation.

All joking aside, sorry to hear of your experience. It's downright awful how some motorists react to cyclists. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 07-14-15, 08:07 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where was this? What's AFRAP?
Old 07-14-15, 08:14 AM
Equinox

Anytown, USA. As Far Right As Practical
Old 07-14-15, 08:22 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Some guys in my club has a similar run in with CHP officer in an SUV recently and got it all on video. Just assume nobody in a motor vehicle likes or respects cyclists and ride defensively
Old 07-14-15, 08:24 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Equinox
We are normally a bike friendly community, but everyone was in a bad mood last night. We were a small group, spread out riding AFRAP on small roads. We got beeped at, yelled at. One guy buzzed us with his side view mirror. He pulled into his driveway about a quarter mile up the road, and gets out and starts yelling at us. Now we know where he lives. When he buzzed us, did he think through the possible consequences of hitting a rider with witnesses around? Not to mention he may have been recorded? It was a clear attempt to intimidate. I find this very upsetting. Then, a couple of miles up on an even more rural road, the most upsetting thing happened. A Hilljack smoked us. There was absolutely no reason other than to be a jerk. There were three riders single file AFRAP. He pulled up next to them, slowed down, did whatever you do, and belched out a huge, black noxious cloud. I would make this assault, which it most certainly is in addition to an environmental crime, damn it. I think this is the most disgusting thing I deal with. Pollution, carcinogens. It was weird that we ran into an epidemic of bad motorist behavior. i had been thinking that motorists were behaving a little better lately. When I was riding to the ride start, waiting at a red light in a village, a car ran the red light flagrantly. It was a sign of things to come, and I don't think it was even a full moon. This ride made me think I should get a camera.
Don't know about the 'getting buzzed' part and that ofc would not be cool but as far as the rest of your rant goes I'm thinking you might feel better next time if you stopped and hugged a tree?
Maybe also take some drama classes?
Exhaust assault? environmental crime? epidemic? *chuckles*
Old 07-14-15, 08:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Environmental Crime?

Yikes...
Old 07-14-15, 08:37 AM
Equinox

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Environmental Crime?

Yikes...
What would you call it?
Old 07-14-15, 08:42 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Anytown, USA. As Far Right As Practical
In almost every state the correct term is As Far Right As PRACTICABLE. That's not the same thing as ...PRACTICAL. Actually it give the rider more discretion. Look up the word to understand the difference.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-14-15, 08:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

What would you call it?
Not that. They belched some smoke at you. Okay...

You're being dramatic, and you are reflecting the results of a popular cultural indoctrination. Makes many of us, um, uneasy.

Here's how it works, generally:

The laws governing auto emission are applied at the manufacturer's level as compliance standards for design, and again at the owner's state level as registration standards. Each state determines how emission regulations are administered at the owner level, through inspection and registration. Once registered, the vehicle is in compliance. Proper maintenance is verified periodically through inspection. Unless, of course, an LEO observes some obvious violation. But it's not even a "crime", per se, but rather a violation of state or local ordinance. And there's an opportunity for the owner to correct, generally.

But, to even attempt to classify it as an "environmental crime"? That's a squishy area that has little constitutional basis. It's been broadly defined and levied through regulations. This is part of the brave new world...
Old 07-14-15, 09:05 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
It's called rolling coal, and some diesel truck drivers love to do it. I had a guy last week on my commute try but every attempt was failed as I would just stop in the bike lane as he went by. Also had a guy try to get in the left lane on a road while I was driving my clean white Mustang. He wanted to do it, I could tell but it never happened.
Old 07-14-15, 09:05 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You're being dramatic, and you are reflecting the results of a popular cultural indoctrination. Makes many of us, um, uneasy.

The laws governing auto emission are applied at the manufacturer's level as compliance standards for design, and again at the owner's state level as registration standards. Each state determines how emission regulations are administered at the owner level, through inspection and registration. Once registered, the vehicle is in compliance. Proper maintenance is verified periodically through inspection. Unless, of course, an LEO observes some obvious violation. But it's not even a "crime", per se, but rather a violation of state or local ordinance. And there's an opportunity for the owner to correct, generally.

But, to even attempt to classify it as an "environmental crime"? That's a squishy area that has little constitutional basis. It's been broadly defined and levied through regulations. This is part of the brave new world...
This
Old 07-14-15, 09:08 AM
Equinox

Why are you so willing to excuse bad behavior?
Old 07-14-15, 09:11 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
We are normally a bike friendly community, but everyone was in a bad mood last night. ... i had been thinking that motorists were behaving a little better lately.
Just an opinion, but I think considering drivers as a collective mass is a mistake, no different than someone judging all cyclists based on small examples. Of the thousands of motorists that have passed me, I can think of only a handful of inconsiderate actions. It sounds like you ran in to several last night, but I doubt that is indicative of an issue with "everyone".
Old 07-14-15, 09:12 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's not a crime to be an ass hole is what they're saying.
Old 07-14-15, 09:14 AM
Equinox

Originally Posted by bakes1
This

This
is disgusting.
"reflecting the results of a popular cultural indoctrination."?
Are you kidding me?
Are you a self loathing cyclist?
Do you know how delicate lungs are?
They belched smoke at me. Right. Be my guest. Knock yourself out. Please, sir , may i have another?
Old 07-14-15, 09:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Words have meaning. Your words included "environmental crime". I just tried to assist you with context. That's all.

I apologize if you think that I'm excusing the driver's bad behavior. I think that it's immature and hostile, but that it doesn't rise to the level of crime. Likely the local sheriff would simply visit Bubba and talk with him, if you really pressed the matter and could positively identify the vehicle.

Again, words really do matter.
Old 07-14-15, 09:40 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Word, man. I had a similar experience yesterday. Through my downtown (small college town) we have a short downhill across a bridge then uphill to redlight. I've never gone under 25mph across that bridge (the speed limit) so I always take the lane. Bridge, no shoulder. Makes sense. There was another cyclist coming the other way and I was going about 27 when this guy takes the middle of the road and blows past me between us two cyclists. I throw my arm out to express distaste and he motors up the hill and then goes straight through the red light (I guess he realized I would have caught him if he hadn't. Alright, fine, he's a dingus. Anyways, less than half a mile down the road, I see the guy filling up at a gas station. He passes me again 10 minutes later. Rage.

Sorry to vent. Sorry you had a ****ty ride. If it's any consolation, your life expectancy is probably about 20 years longer than those people. Enjoy not having heart complications at 45! That's what keeps me going.
Old 07-14-15, 09:45 AM
Equinox

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
In almost every state the correct term is As Far Right As PRACTICABLE. That's not the same thing as ...PRACTICAL. Actually it give the rider more discretion. Look up the word to understand the difference.
Oh my God.
Let's go with "Safe" then OK?
Old 07-14-15, 09:56 AM
MrCoffee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I had to stop riding on rural roads. After one encounter with a man in a black pickup truck where I had to take out and prepare to use a can of pepper spray, I decided I had to quit. There is too much "he said, she said". The man in the pickup truck threatened to call the cops and have me arrested. He could have said anything: "Well officer, that bicyclist was getting ready to throw a rock through my windshield!", and then I would have had to obtain a lawyer and shell out a huge sum of money to get me out of jail and clear me of any charges that would have resulted.

I have too much to lose.

Its. Just. Not. Worth. It.
Old 07-14-15, 10:05 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This
is disgusting.
"reflecting the results of a popular cultural indoctrination."?
Are you kidding me?
Are you a self loathing cyclist?
Do you know how delicate lungs are?
They belched smoke at me. Right. Be my guest. Knock yourself out. Please, sir , may i have another?

My bad. I hope and trust that after being the victim of such a serious and life threatening "environmental crime" that you went straight to the ER after your ride to have your lungs checked out and a full physical?
You did correct?
Old 07-14-15, 10:18 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Maybe you should call Captain Planet to bring some Earth Justice to this Environmental Criminal.
Old 07-14-15, 10:18 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If every person on the planet were stacked together shoulder to shoulder with one another, there are soooooo many they'd cover the entire land mass of (gasp) Hawaii.........

Yep, we are so overpopulated that everyone with a diesel truck is destroying the environment and killing you slowly. I bet you're a blast at parties talking about all the things that offend you.

Sure the guy was a jerkoff, but environmental crime is nothing but drama queen talk.
Old 07-14-15, 10:31 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Don't know about the 'getting buzzed' part and that ofc would not be cool but as far as the rest of your rant goes I'm thinking you might feel better next time if you stopped and hugged a tree?
Maybe also take some drama classes?
Exhaust assault? environmental crime? epidemic? *chuckles*
google "rolling coal cyclist" . it's assault.
Old 07-14-15, 10:41 AM
Equinox

Let me get this straight. A person in a diesel pick up truck, for no discernible reason rolls coal next to three cyclists who are deferring to the motorist. This means the intentional discharge of a massive amount of black diesel exhaust that enveloped the cyclists and hung in the air and covered both lanes of a country road. I was behind them and I stopped to allow the cloud to diffuse. Why would anyone excuse this as a person, just being a jerk? He did this with the intent of causing harm to people he didn't know for no reason. It's the action of a sociopath , really. I'm also not willing to excuse the environmental impact.We abuse our environment enough without intentionally and unnecessarily bucking out clouds of diesel smoke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.