Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scattante CFR Elite 105 vs. Nashbar Carbon 105

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 12:25 PM
dsmithpdx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm considering the purchase of my first carbon road bike, so I'm looking at two entry-level models:

Scattante CFR Elite 105: Scattante CFR Elite 105 Road Bike - 2016 Performance Exclusive
Nashbar Carbon 105: Nashbar Carbon 105 Road Bike

They appear to be very similar with a few slight differences (wheels, tires, saddle...). They are both on a huge sale for Black Friday. One benefit to the Scattante is that it's in stock at my local Performance store, so I could go pick it up already assembled, and have local support from them if I need it. But the Nashbar is obviously cheaper after the additional 20% off.

Any advice here? There are several reviews of the Nashbar, and they are almost all positive, whereas there are NO reviews of the Scattante, so there's that... Thanks in advance!

Doug

EDIT: I noticed that the Scattante has an alloy seatpost, stem, and handlebars, whereas the Nashbar uses aluminum for those components. Also, the wheels on the Nashbar are just over 1/2 lb. lighter, so the bike as a whole should be a bit lighter I suspect (unless the frames are dramatically different).

Last edited by dsmithpdx; 11-25-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 01:15 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
alloy = aluminum. I doubt wheels are much different, RS10 wheels are pretty heavy (probably 2000 grams). I think the cranks on the Performance bike are slightly better but not so much that it should be a factor. The rest is almost identical Pretty much comes down to whether it's worth buying from a brick and mortar shop for fitting, assembly, service etc
Old 11-25-15, 01:18 PM
dsmithpdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Derp...clearly I'm new at this. Thanks for the clarification on the allow/aluminum. The RS10 wheels are 1880g, and the Alex Race are 2000g from what I've seen. Much appreciated!
Old 11-25-15, 01:50 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
They're both cheaper than a new alloy bike with all 105 components so based on the sale prices they do look like good deals but none of them are, for example, all-105... some corners have been cut and the retail prices look to me to be substantially inflated. Even so, either bike seems like it would be worth what they're asking.
Old 11-25-15, 01:59 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nashbar and Performance have been competitors for so long there is probably little to differentiate two bikes at a similar price point. like Ford vs. Chevy trucks. i would recommend getting the one that is most appealing to you.

you'll probably start being able to make useful choices only after getting a second or third bike. at least that's been my experience. with the first bike there is nothing to compare it to. with the second, one is only able to determine if it's better or worse than the first. generally, end-points, WRT to personal likes and dislikes, must be reached before one becomes completely biased, and incapable of being swayed by other's opinions. a worthy goal to reach for all.
Old 11-25-15, 02:03 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Why would anyone ride a bike where the first part of the name is a synonym for poop?

Have you considered the Turdorelli Rouxbeau SL?
Old 11-25-15, 02:13 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
Nashbar and Performance have been competitors for so long there is probably little to differentiate two bikes at a similar price point.
Performance Bike bought Nashbar years ago. Performance, Inc owns and operates both PB and Nashbar. Nashbar is supposed to be more of a discount and closeout business than PB.
Old 11-25-15, 02:17 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmithpdx
Hi All,

I'm considering the purchase of my first carbon road bike, so I'm looking at two entry-level models:

Scattante CFR Elite 105: Scattante CFR Elite 105 Road Bike - 2016 Performance Exclusive
Nashbar Carbon 105: Nashbar Carbon 105 Road Bike
You can bet that those two bikes have the exact same frame.
Old 11-25-15, 02:19 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scattante. Mostly for the paint job tbh. Local bike shop (LBS) relationship helps. Bikes are practically identical.
Old 11-25-15, 02:45 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You can bet that those two bikes have the exact same frame.
Except for the sizing and geometry being drastically different and the subtle differences like the location of cable routing ports
Old 11-25-15, 03:05 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There has to be a better selection of first carbon road bikes in the Portland area. What's leading you to PB/NB?
Old 11-25-15, 03:22 PM
dsmithpdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
There has to be a better selection of first carbon road bikes in the Portland area. What's leading you to PB/NB?
Price. I wasn't actively shopping, but I received one of Performance's promotional emails yesterday, and when I saw that they had a full carbon bike for under $1k, I got excited. Then I ran into the Nashbar offering somewhat randomly. My current bike is a Trek Portland that I've had for almost six years. Love the bike, but I've always wanted to add a full carbon as well. My dad has a carbon Scattante and really likes it, which is also pushing me in that direction.

Now I see that one of my local PB stores ran out of my size, and they only have five left online. I'll try to get in there to test ride one ASAP.
Old 11-25-15, 05:09 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Price. I wasn't actively shopping, but I received one of Performance's promotional emails yesterday, and when I saw that they had a full carbon bike for under $1k, I got excited. Then I ran into the Nashbar offering somewhat randomly. My current bike is a Trek Portland that I've had for almost six years. Love the bike, but I've always wanted to add a full carbon as well. My dad has a carbon Scattante and really likes it, which is also pushing me in that direction.

Now I see that one of my local PB stores ran out of my size, and they only have five left online. I'll try to get in there to test ride one ASAP.
I have seen the Scattante locally, and it's a good looking bike(if you like matte UD carbon). Remember that Performance members get double points this weekend, so basically $200 for future purchases.
Old 11-25-15, 05:33 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Makes me think of scatology...
Old 11-26-15, 05:32 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Performance Bike bought Nashbar years ago. Performance, Inc owns and operates both PB and Nashbar. Nashbar is supposed to be more of a discount and closeout business than PB.
Exactly. If you have local Performance brick and mortar stores, I would just go in there and buy. Same company. Very likely same bike. Or so similar it makes no difference.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-26-15, 10:24 AM
dsmithpdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all. Performance is holding one for me, so I'm going to check it out on Saturday.
Old 11-30-15, 10:44 AM
dsmithpdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to Peformance on Saturday and rode a 56cm. I really liked it! It was a bit too small for me, though, so they found a 58cm at a different store, and are having it shipped to my location. I also opted to swap out the saddle right away, and have brake levers installed on the top of the bars. Can't wait to get it!
Old 11-30-15, 10:46 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Old 11-30-15, 11:06 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I went to Peformance on Saturday and rode a 56cm. I really liked it! It was a bit too small for me, though, so they found a 58cm at a different store, and are having it shipped to my location. I also opted to swap out the saddle right away, and have brake levers installed on the top of the bars. Can't wait to get it!
Oh boy. That is an awfully snazzy bike for those kinds of levers. They are not really recommended for enthusiast bikes and above.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-30-15, 11:12 AM
dsmithpdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Oh boy. That is an awfully snazzy bike for those kinds of levers. They are not really recommended for enthusiast bikes and above.
What do you mean by "not really recommended"? Is it just because race bike? I have them on my Trek Portland, and because I will be commuting on this new bike, I really like having them when I'm mixing it up with rush hour traffic.
Old 11-30-15, 11:14 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
+1

Hard braking(panic stops) from that position is not advisable.
Old 11-30-15, 12:15 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
+1

Hard braking(panic stops) from that position is not advisable.
They also lower the braking power from the brifters. You end up with two sets of brake levers that kind of stop your bike instead of one set that will stop you. They are ok for cyclocross because riders are generally not riding at high speed but even in cross you don't really see them much anymore
Old 11-30-15, 12:21 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
They also lower the braking power from the brifters.
I've never noticed them lowering braking power at the brifters, but I always talk people out of buying them because they are dangerous.
Old 11-30-15, 12:32 PM
dsmithpdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never noticed them lowering braking power at the brifters, but I always talk people out of buying them because they are dangerous.
I'm just trying to understand: why/how are they dangerous? Does it increase your risk of going over the bars during a hard stop? I've never even come close to having that happen on my Trek Portland when braking from that position, and it has disc brakes that work VERY well. Thanks!
Old 11-30-15, 12:33 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I was told that by my LBS in the past when I wanted to put them on my commuter bike. They told me that because you are interrupting the brake housing it will effect the performance. Maybe that's not true but that is one of the few times my LBS highly advised against something that would have put money in their pocket so I figure that means something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.