Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I started riding brakeless regularly...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)
View Poll Results: got my fixie and started riding brakeless...
before i knew how to skip/skid
41.00%
after i learned how to skip/skid
59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

I started riding brakeless regularly...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 08:34 PM
skinny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding brakeless regularly... ...when I couldn't find anyone to drill the fork crown on my track bike.

Last edited by skinny; 03-04-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 08:47 PM
JaredG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackstar10
IMHO< i think the whole "i have a brake but never use it" is a bunch of crap. in my own experience, (yes, this may differ from YOU) whenever i have a brake on, i just feel like i have to use it, and i do, simply because its there. ive tried just not using it and it doesnt work. i have just always liked the idea and the simplicity of riding brakeless, before i even started riding brakeless. for example, when building a bike or changing bars, i complete the task, and stop and think..." hey! i'm done! i didn't have to put a brake on!"
it may seem silly but thats just my two c3nts.

*cents.
I can see a point in there, but my main concern is that other person sharing the road with me may not see me or may do something to harm me. that is what the brake is for (in my case). theres nothing wrong with having a brake on your bike as a contingency (like a back-up parachute).

but hey, when i put it that way, it does seem like a bunch of crap doesn't it.
Old 03-04-07, 09:02 PM
trackstar10
elite

Bikes: track, road, cross, fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol... im thinking of a guy falling through the sky at 120 mph. he pulls the rip cord, and the little drogue pops out and gets stuck. and the little voice inside his head says to him, "whos your daddy now?"
Old 03-04-07, 10:02 PM
sprintcarblue

Bikes: 2015 Rivendell Clementine, 2019 Rivendell Clem Smith jr, 1988 Mikado DeGasep, Custom Marino SSFGMTB, Marinoni Track, In Progres Clive Stuart

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
HERE WE GO AGAIN!

*throws hands over head*
Old 03-04-07, 10:30 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i had a brake on my bike for close to two years before i got a bike w/ no brake mounts. i had ridden brakeless here and there but found that usually, if i had a handbrake, i'd use it. for that reason i was a bit concerned about my ability to ride safely w/o handbrakes, but found it to be a nonissue even in close calls. i assume if i were riding a freewheel bike with two handbrakes i would have to learn again how to do handbraking with no input from the legs.
Old 03-04-07, 10:37 PM
Klink

Bikes: Peugot ss/fixed beater, Bareknuckle, Bridgestone Road, Old Raleigh beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode with a brake for about a month. Once I became comfortable with skidding/skipping I took it off. After about 8 months, some hair-brained girl pulled a left in front of me as I was heading down some major street. I had stared straight at her stupid face and saw this daft maneuver coming and managed to skid around the corner and make the turn with her. She still didn't see me and I clipped her bumper. I avoided a full speed trip over her hood while riding brakeless, but at the expense of seriously straining my back (which would set in in full effect a couple days later). Afterwards, I figured, hell, why not throw down $30 to make sure I never injure myself when there's people in $30,000 BMWs to do that for me.
Old 03-05-07, 08:10 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride brakeless from time to time. I definitely learned to skid and stuff before I did it though. Yeah, backpressure is better, but it's hard to stop quickly that way.

That being said, I freaking love riding with a brake. It's great to be lazy.
Old 03-05-07, 12:24 PM
eddiebrannan

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't have a brake and never use it
Old 03-05-07, 12:28 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For every brake you don't put on your bike, I install two.
Old 03-05-07, 01:26 PM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am f ucking stupid. I ride brakeless. And it doesn't matter how good of a rider I am; I am still f ucking stupid.

ok.

I never installed a brake on my fixie. In fact, when I got my frame, it had a caliper mounted on the fork, so I removed it.
Learned to control my speed with my legs first. Skidding came later.
Old 03-05-07, 03:59 PM
Maracski
Prefers riding Up Hill

Bikes: Pumkin: '98 Stumpjumper Pro w/a bunch of upgrades; Buttercup: Anchor Keirin; Un-named/un-built Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am learning to ride brakeless and fixed at the same time. My track fork isn't drilled for a brake, and I don't really have the money to buy a new fork, headset, and front wheel. To be honest, it isn't all about the money, I also just want to learn this way.

I am finding that having a really low gear is helpful. (I'm riding 46/19). With a low gear, I am in much better control of my speed and though I can't skid or skip yet, I can lock up the back wheel (unweighting the rear wheel seems to be my problem). With a low gear I am also riding more slowly which gives me more time to look ahead an anticipate.

A lot of people are critical of learning to ride fixed without a brake. I say, if you're willing to ride really slowly and take your time, then go for it.
Old 03-05-07, 04:11 PM
JaredG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maracski
I am finding that having a really low gear is helpful. (I'm riding 46/19). With a low gear, I am in much better control of my speed and though I can't skid or skip yet, I can lock up the back wheel (unweighting the rear wheel seems to be my problem). With a low gear I am also riding more slowly which gives me more time to look ahead an anticipate.
you mean high gear. or do i mean a low gear and have gotten it wrong?
Old 03-05-07, 04:36 PM
Maracski
Prefers riding Up Hill

Bikes: Pumkin: '98 Stumpjumper Pro w/a bunch of upgrades; Buttercup: Anchor Keirin; Un-named/un-built Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaredG
you mean high gear. or do i mean a low gear and have gotten it wrong?
I think you mean low gear. But I could be wrong too. Happens sometimes...
Old 03-05-07, 05:07 PM
JaredG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've always thought it was in reference to the rear cog... i've thoroughly confused myself now...

high gear (19t on a 46/19)= low output (65+inches)... seems counterintuitive. can someone help me out?

EDIT- i googled it and found my answer... That answer is, I need more coffee.
Old 03-05-07, 06:37 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started running brakeless one winter when I pulled the lever because a cab was pulling a u-turn right in front of me and I didn't have time for anything else. It stuck closed, and I took the brake off a few days later. It was actually the fact I hadn't used the brake for a couple months that resulted in it failing on me. Even then, it didn't fail, I stopped. It's just that I couldn't go again.

I went back to a brake on that frame later, but then picked up a Bianchi track bike that had nowhere near the room for a brake. I rode it around for awhile brakeless on the streets, but didn't like having to slow down so much to feel like I was in control, especially on any longer downhills...

The Bianchi is getting a new fork this spring so that I can run a brake, and both my other fixies are running front brakes now. One of them is actually going to be running a rear, as well. I plan on putting a rack and fenders on that one, and think that the extra weight justifies the rear. It will be set up as mostly a minimal pressure drag brake, for scrubbing off speed and cadence when I need it.

In the end, I totally recommend that people know what they are doing before just jumping into traffic. That goes for any type of riding. Like it or not, brakeless without skills is more of a risk than a brake and no skills. Brakeless and skills vs brakes and skills is a whole different argument.
Old 03-05-07, 07:24 PM
Natron
Dude.

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Specialized Langster Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got my fixie and started riding brakeless.... at exactly the same instant I learned how to skip/skid. first time in history.
Old 03-05-07, 09:00 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I became suicidal, ha haha hah
Old 03-06-07, 09:24 AM
jeac
IT'S IN YOUR HEAD

Bikes: 46/16 - schwinn conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i seriously dont understand how 42% of the people that voted starting riding brakeless before they knew how to skip/skid

did people vote seriously?
Old 03-06-07, 10:33 AM
I Like Peeing

Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Catena Lusso / 1983 Pinarello Montello / Raleigh Marathon / Camel Cigarettes conversion / 1957 Worksman cruiser / Puch 140 / Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
skipping and skidding isn't the proper way to stop at all it just wears out tires learn to control your rpms is the sauce
That's how I feel about it...as much as I love to skid and hop around, I think it's more fun to play a game of how far can you go on pure anticipation and RPM control without stopping or skipping.
Old 03-06-07, 10:54 AM
jeac
IT'S IN YOUR HEAD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes this is true, but in the case of an emergency or having to stop real fast, backpedaling wont work
Old 03-06-07, 11:47 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm questioning the statistical validity of this poll. The results are heavily skewed in favor of the opinions of those who survived their first brakeless ride. The opinions of those who died while trying go unaccounted.
Old 03-06-07, 12:20 PM
I Like Peeing

Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Catena Lusso / 1983 Pinarello Montello / Raleigh Marathon / Camel Cigarettes conversion / 1957 Worksman cruiser / Puch 140 / Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeac
yes this is true, but in the case of an emergency or having to stop real fast, backpedaling wont work
Obviously you are right, but I said I was playing a game. My fun at my own risk.
Old 03-06-07, 12:49 PM
jeac
IT'S IN YOUR HEAD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fair enough, have fun