Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Finding good Road bike gloves

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 08:10 AM
nick779

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Ive been trying to find a pair of gloves for a few weeks now and Im just not having any luck finding good, road bike gloves.
I wondered if there were any gloves with a small amount of padding in the webbing between your thumb and pointer finger. None of the "road bike" gloves Ive tried seem to have padding that really contacts the bar when on the hoods or the hooks.
Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 06-08-15, 08:16 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
One of the online bike supply stores used to carry these: https://www.amazon.com/Ironclad-WWI-0.../dp/B0012PQ76I

After having a wrist fracture, it was vibration-sensitive for several years, and these gloves were the best I used.
The wrist no longer bothers me and cork bar tape is all the padding I need now.
Old 06-08-15, 08:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by nick779
Hi guys,

Ive been trying to find a pair of gloves for a few weeks now and Im just not having any luck finding good, road bike gloves.
I wondered if there were any gloves with a small amount of padding in the webbing between your thumb and pointer finger. None of the "road bike" gloves Ive tried seem to have padding that really contacts the bar when on the hoods or the hooks.
I'm not sure I understand your request/question correctly... sorry if I'm pointing you in the wrong direction.

I'm a huge fan of my Serfas gloves. I do a lot of distance riding, including gravel centuries, and these gloves have padding in the right places without too much. When riding on the hoods, I find that most of the weight is on the base of my thumbs; Serfas has good padding at the base of the thumbs.
Old 06-08-15, 08:38 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
do you experience discomfort when riding in such position with lesser gloves or no gloves at all?

i suggest improving the position or maybe substitute the bar wrap?

ive gone through a series of bikes... on road bikes, gloves only function as a sweat and snot receptable for me. i could very well ride bar ehanded

(on mountain bike theyre more important due to higher prone to spills; trekking through harsh stuff; and having callous-inducing death grip on the bars)
Old 06-08-15, 08:40 AM
Wingsprint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm not sure I understand your request/question correctly... sorry if I'm pointing you in the wrong direction.

I'm a huge fan of my Serfas gloves. I do a lot of distance riding, including gravel centuries, and these gloves have padding in the right places without too much. When riding on the hoods, I find that most of the weight is on the base of my thumbs; Serfas has good padding at the base of the thumbs.
You beat me to this...

Gloves are also a lot like saddles, some will love a certain saddle and others will hate it. I agree with Hypno Toad regarding the need for padding at the base of the thumb. You can also look at the Giro Monaco gloves.
Old 06-08-15, 08:42 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
When I started riding I got some hand pains, so I bought some gloves, which seemed to help. Yesterday I forgot my gloves for a 50 mile ride and didn't have any discomfort at all. Still would rather ride with gloves mostly as above for sweat/snot containment and also for safety.
Old 06-08-15, 09:37 AM
nick779

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad

Originally Posted by redfooj
do you experience discomfort when riding in such position with lesser gloves or no gloves at all?

i suggest improving the position or maybe substitute the bar wrap?

ive gone through a series of bikes... on road bikes, gloves only function as a sweat and snot receptable for me. i could very well ride bar ehanded

(on mountain bike theyre more important due to higher prone to spills; trekking through harsh stuff; and having callous-inducing death grip on the bars)
Originally Posted by Wingsprint
You beat me to this...

Gloves are also a lot like saddles, some will love a certain saddle and others will hate it. I agree with Hypno Toad regarding the need for padding at the base of the thumb. You can also look at the Giro Monaco gloves.

I actually tried the Monacos and found that all the pressure is practically between the padding

Im wondering if just a non padding glove is what I need, but im not sure. Any other brand suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015-06-08_11-35-04.jpg (49.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by nick779; 06-08-15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 12:32 PM
Wingsprint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Is there a reason you are looking for gloves with padding in that area?
Old 06-08-15, 12:36 PM
nick779

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, no. I just figured it would be a good idea as im just starting out and thats where all the pressure is.
The longest ride ive had was around 10 miles and my hands felt fine without gloves, I know I want a pair though even if they arent padded.
Old 06-09-15, 05:43 AM
nick779

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any suggestions on non padded gloves?

Already checked out Giro Zeros, and the Giro Holton
Old 06-09-15, 06:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I love my Assos gloves but I've had PI and others that I liked as well. I think you just have to try a variety.
Old 06-09-15, 07:55 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I only buy Pearl Izumie now, great padding and last longer than any other brand I've owned.
Old 06-09-15, 09:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I like pearl izumi as well. I think I have 3 pairs. 2 short finger, and I recently got a pair of full finger pI elite gloves with gel padding. Really nice and not too hot even on hot days (lots of ventilation on the back), with fingertip protection (I type all day at work) and still the ability to use my garmin's touch screen. I think they're going to take over as my full time gloves, although I do like that one of my short finger pairs is day glo yellow for when I want to indicate turns.

Old 06-09-15, 10:10 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good gloves can be expensive. You look at brands like Craft? Capoforma? Even some of the good racing gloves can offer great feel. Look at botique online bike shops like Nonstop Ciclismo. You can call & ask them, if you have questions. They should know the product well & be able to offer suggestions. I've had good luck with fast shipping, from that company anyway.
Old 06-09-15, 02:41 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Bontrager full fingered summer gloves which I love but they are coming apart at the seem in an area were it gets no pressure "The Wrist Trim". I don't over tighten them. Idk, I guess I'm looking for a full finger summer gloves that lasts also.
Old 06-09-15, 02:46 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also wonder if your problem is you gloves.

I had some hand pains earlier this season in the same region you described on a new bike. I rotated my bars (the hoods followed, as you may imagine) upward by a couple of degrees. That shifted the pressure on my hands from the webbed part by the thumb to the base of the thumb and the palm. Try this before you buy 10 different kinds of gloves.
Old 06-10-15, 06:26 AM
nick779

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Belly
Good gloves can be expensive. You look at brands like Craft? Capoforma? Even some of the good racing gloves can offer great feel. Look at botique online bike shops like Nonstop Ciclismo. You can call & ask them, if you have questions. They should know the product well & be able to offer suggestions. I've had good luck with fast shipping, from that company anyway.
Good call, I wonder if this is more the speed of what im looking for:
Nalini Base Pulsatilla Summer Cycling Gloves Grey M | eBay

Minimalistic with light padding where I want it.

Originally Posted by PiLigand
I also wonder if your problem is you gloves.

I had some hand pains earlier this season in the same region you described on a new bike. I rotated my bars (the hoods followed, as you may imagine) upward by a couple of degrees. That shifted the pressure on my hands from the webbed part by the thumb to the base of the thumb and the palm. Try this before you buy 10 different kinds of gloves.
Like I said I dont have any pain, but I think you may be right, I feel like my bars are a few degrees low and have been thinking about lifting them a little at a time to try to fix it.
Old 06-10-15, 06:50 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am not a big padding fan, gloves that have worked well for me are not all that expensive, Giro LTZ.
Old 06-10-15, 09:58 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like I said I dont have any pain, but I think you may be right, I feel like my bars are a few degrees low and have been thinking about lifting them a little at a time to try to fix it.
Right. My mistake. I missed that on my first time through. Regardless, I don't think you should be feeling pressure in that region, and if you are, it could turn to pain after a while. Tilting the bars up (in my experience) relieves that pressure.
Old 06-10-15, 10:10 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I actually tried the Monacos and found that all the pressure is practically between the padding

Im wondering if just a non padding glove is what I need, but im not sure. Any other brand suggestions?
Those gloves look too small for you. I use the similar Giro Bravo and the padding hits me in the right places, but my glove covers more of the fingers. Try going up a size

Last edited by MRT2; 06-10-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 10:37 AM
nick779

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a random google image I was just trying to show where I wanted the padding. The medium is tight on me with a ~9" palm measurement. Should these gloves be skin tight or should I size up?

I ordered a pair of LG Connect gloves that have minimal padding, we will see what happens with those.
Old 06-12-15, 03:06 PM
nick779

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any other suggestions for no padding gloves?

The LG Connect is nearly perfect, but Amazon doesnt have them available in black (M).
Old 06-14-15, 04:00 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I started, I got some gloves because I thought one was supposed to wear them. I found them more aggravating than anything, so I stopped bothering. Most of the time I still don't bother, but on a recent trip where we were riding a LOT, every day, I felt I could actually use a little isolation from the bars. We stopped at a shop and this is what I picked up:

Northwave Force gloves. Very happy with them. Padding is effective, but unobtrusive. They don't get hot. And note the loops between the fingers - why don't ALL fingerless gloves have them? It's how you get them off.

Last edited by kbarch; 09-29-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 04:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
prefiero the chiba brand but they seem a little hard to find these days. they bounce in and out of b & m (brick & mortar) bike shops.
occasionally find them on the interwebz. when i do, i buy 2 pairs so i don't have to look for at least a year. i'm a wimp when it
comes to hand/wrist pain but between the chiba gloves and a double cinelli cork-wrapped bars combo, the hands are happy on
century rides.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-14-15 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-14-15, 10:28 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
I too was convinced that I needed a good pair of gloves due to all the pain and numbness I was experiencing. It really wasn't that bad but I kept thinking there's got to be a more comfortable glove somewhere out there. Then one day I left on a ride without putting my gloves on and my hands felt a whole lot better. Don't know why, it just did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.