Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying first road bike; Masi vs. Fuji

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 10:34 AM
PortuguesePrep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! After lurking for a bit, I decided to post because, well, I'm finally about to formally enter the world of road bikes.
Essentially, I've visited two local bike shops looking for an entry level bike in the range of $500-$700. One had a Fuji for around $550, the other a Masi for $700 (and seemed more hospitable than the former).
I'm not sure on the exact models, but in terms of both brands and the price ranges of each, which of the two seems better? If I can get a $700 bike that'll last me longer, then I'd consider it a smart investment. But if the quality is going to be relatively alike, then obviously I'd prefer to keep more of my money.
Any and all insight here is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-22-15, 10:40 AM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need far more info about the two other than brand and price to give you any info on which is 'better'.
Old 07-22-15, 10:42 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to BF. Welcome to the sport. Is there any way you could find out which bikes you're ineterested in? Those bikes are probably spec'd pretty close, but no way to tell. IMO, when it comes to entry level road bikes, none of them blow the other ones away. They may have small differences but they are all entry level bikes. There is nothing wrong with them, they will ride just fine.

Does your member name reference your location, or are you in the states?
Old 07-22-15, 10:48 AM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the Fuji,,
Fuji is way better
Old 07-22-15, 11:08 AM
PortuguesePrep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
We need far more info about the two other than brand and price to give you any info on which is 'better'.
Apologies, I had the models written down but neglected to include them, as I was posting from my phone in a bit of a hurry.
The Fuji is a Fuji Sportif 2.5, and the Masi is a 2011 Masi Alare.
Old 07-22-15, 11:11 AM
PortuguesePrep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Welcome to BF. Welcome to the sport. Is there any way you could find out which bikes you're ineterested in? Those bikes are probably spec'd pretty close, but no way to tell. IMO, when it comes to entry level road bikes, none of them blow the other ones away. They may have small differences but they are all entry level bikes. There is nothing wrong with them, they will ride just fine.

Does your member name reference your location, or are you in the states?
Thanks for the input; I assumed that most entry-level bikes wouldn't really have much footing over others, aside from slight weight differences that I found while trying a few out. So I suppose that price is most likely the biggest factor in this certain choice.

Also, I am indeed in the grand ol' US of A; my username refers to my nationality (although, my family does own a lovely home in Northern Portugal-- I greatly anticipate cycling there in the future)
Old 07-22-15, 11:30 AM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with the '11 Masi Alare if it's your fit. Far better components (9-speed setup instead of 7, and higher quality components.) A carbon fork, and you liked the Masi shop's vibe more.

Both brands are fine ones, but the Masi model is a greater than $150 jump in quality of what's hanging off the frame. Let's not make this a brand quality fight thread btw.
Old 07-22-15, 12:05 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a big fan of Fuji, but a bigger fan of having a cool shop. At that price point, if you like it, you may well end up buying a new bike soon, and if you don't it doesn't matter. I trust IcySmooth52 on the component call as well. Go ahead for the Masi.
Old 07-22-15, 12:54 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of shops have 6 months, no interest payments on new bikes.
If you don't mind buying on credit, it's an opportunity to move up in features and get something you'll truly be happy with for a few years.
I got my 2013 Cannondale Synapse brand-new, on sale for $1300 out the door. I upgraded a few things, although, it really needed nothing.
Of course I GAS for something carbon, new, and/or like to dream, but it's plenty of bike that I've put thousands of miles on. I'll probably be riding it for several more years.
Something to consider.

S