Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dremel Tool help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dremel Tool help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 04:50 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Dremel Tool help

I have seen lots of posts about using Dremel tools to remove rust, cutting, and more.

Which one should I buy?

I go to Lowe's and become overwhelmed by the options. I'm sure it will not be a battery model. After that I am unsure.
Do I get the Flex Shaft?

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 02-26-17, 05:15 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I bought the model that came with a case and the flexible shaft. I've never used the shaft once in 10 years. Get a variable speed model.
Old 02-26-17, 05:22 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
+1 on variable speed. I like the flex shaft when I moved it to hang above my work bench. Other good option is a tool free chuck that allows bit changes without a wrench.
Old 02-26-17, 05:25 PM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
The variable speed battery model is awesome. I find that you rarely use it for more than a few minutes per time and hardly ever at the highest speed and I have only charged my battery once in 5 years. That battery holds a charge better than any other lithium ion I've got.
Old 02-26-17, 05:31 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have this chicago electric model. Can't beat it for twenty bucks with a 20% off coupon.
Old 02-26-17, 05:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Start by not buying a Dremel. They're terrible. Plenty of better rotary tool options out there. I've had nothing but good luck with the Black & Decker RTX-B. They used to be around $25, but still excellent at ~$35. Also try Wal Mart, they usually have them there. I own three.
Old 02-26-17, 05:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
If you have a compressor, I would consider an air powered one. They have them at Harbor Freight, looks like a dental drill, very slim and way more power for getting it done.

Originally Posted by eom
I have seen lots of posts about using Dremel tools to remove rust, cutting, and more.

Which one should I buy?

I go to Lowe's and become overwhelmed by the options. I'm sure it will not be a battery model. After that I am unsure.
Do I get the Flex Shaft?

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 02-26-17, 06:06 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I have several different types. All rarely used especially on bicycle parts. Any power tool held in one hand is difficult to control and the slightest bobble can result in a deep gouge and once the material is gone it's gone forever. I find that using jeweler's files, steel wool, wire brushes, sand cloth and the like is much more relaxing and Zen like
Old 02-26-17, 06:32 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had my dremel 3000 for years with no issues, other than when I accidently nicked the power cord. Cut, resolder, insulate and it's still working like a champ.

The flex shaft is a must. Especially if you want to get into tight spaces and do intricate work as it allows more comfortable hand and tool-to-piece positions.

Rotary tools generally don't put out a lot of torque and work best at really high RPMs, although different materials require different speeds so, as others have noted, a variable speed model is the most versatile option. For example, cutting steel with the carbide disc would require higher RPMs, whereas cutting acrylic or plastic with the same bit would require low RPMs so as not to melt the material. If this is your requirement, then at minimum you need the 3000 model.

Unfortunately, the Dremel website does not provide motor specs for their various models but just from looking at the pictures, the 4000 is a bigger unit which generally means a bigger motor. A bigger motor generally provides better low RPM torque which is useful in keeping constant RPMs at lower speeds. This may or may not be a good thing. For example, doing fine detail work, it may be preferable to have the motor "lock up" if you a slightly out of line rather than cutting through a piece. On the flip side if doing a lot of heavy cutting, you may want that bigger motor to just power through. Heat dissipation and tolerance may also be better on the bigger unit, which would allow you to run the tool longer. Again, this is a consideration if doing a lot of cutting/drilling/polishing etc. For finer detail work, you are generally stopping and checking your piece more often so this is less of a concern.

The 4200 appears to be the same as the 4000 except that it has a tool-less chuck. There is a tool-less chuck adapter for the other models. Tool-less chucks allow for quicker bit changes.

For me, the 3000 has served me well with only the rare times that I wish I had a bit more oomph.

edit: Fboatsb makes a good point in that power tools do have the potential to take off more material than you wish, and working the peice by hand may be preferable.
Old 02-26-17, 07:01 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
I recently used my dremel to transform stock 7mm metric bolts to low-profile, subtly contoured chainring bolts (improvising in following the inspiration of someone here who did very similar with much more sophisticated tools).

Variable speed it great to have. I find my most frequent use on bicycle projects is to remove paint, chrome and anodization. It is also good for polishing some parts.
Old 02-26-17, 07:08 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Which model do you have?

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I recently used my dremel to transform stock 7mm metric bolts to low-profile, subtly contoured chainring bolts (improvising in following the inspiration of someone here who did very similar with much more sophisticated tools).

Variable speed it great to have. I find my most frequent use on bicycle projects is to remove paint, chrome and anodization. It is also good for polishing some parts.

Old 02-26-17, 07:22 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Dremels are good for two things in my book: cutting modern/index cable housing, and polishing small parts that are hard to access by hand. The somewhat new quick release "EZ Lock" mandrel is a must. Both the EZ lock cutting wheels and the little cloth mini buff work very well. The old Dremel cut off disks were kind of a joke.

I don't find the flex shafts useful. Variable speed is useful. Which model you get probably won't make much difference for bike related hobbyist uses.
Old 02-26-17, 07:59 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I use a flexible shaft type of tool everyday as a jeweler. If you are unfamiliar with the set up, many nail salons also use the flexible shaft set up with its smaller, lighter, less clumsy handpiece. Variable speed is useful for drilling or polishing and cleaning applications. When using the thin cut-off discs to trim or cut cable housing ends, there is a minimum speed required.
The units I use, however, are of a higher quality than most Dremel units. They are made by Foredom Electric Co. or Pfingst Co. and can run continuously for hours without heat or vibration. These units are often available on eBay as used in the $100 to $250 range. Even the Chinese knock off versions seem better than a Dremel unit, imho.
However whichever unit you end up with, you will find nothing better for trimming the ends of cable housings before they are capped with a ferrule or set into the cable stop/ cable entrance on a derailleur. I find them particularly useful for trimming the ends of the compression-less type of housings. Once that final curved piece is cut to length (from the chain stay cablestop) and its curved shape is set and optimized, the wire strand ends aren't usually flush or square. This can create slop or flex in the indexing system. If both ends of this housing (and, for that matter, all cable ends in the shifting system) are carefully trimmed to be square and flat, unnecessary sloppiness is eliminated and the indexing is pretty much dead on! (Or, at least I have much more reliable performance than without this trimming!)
Old 02-26-17, 08:29 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by eom
Which model do you have?
I have a 4000.

I buy replacement attachments at Harbor Freight, or online. Seems ridiculous to pay the asking price for individual grinding/polishing heads.
Old 02-26-17, 08:40 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Dremel tools seem to have a fairly bad rep with some. And I can understand it to some extent. For the newer ones.
I have an older model 732 heavy duty flex shaft and that thing is powerful and bullet proof. I've been using it steadily for the last five days as a matter of fact, doing some work on a 1911. I love it. Too bad it is not available anymore.

I also have an old variable speed bench mount Foredom. Also very good.

Get the best one you can afford. Even if you can barely afford it. It will pay off with long tool life.
Old 02-27-17, 01:17 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I paid about $90 for a Dremel when I started making guitars in 1990, it's pretty much worn out now (the bearings are getting buzzy) even though it didn't really see heavy use. The cheapo $30 imitator I got two years ago at Costco seems to be built a bit more heavy duty and came with TONS of bits and accessories. I'm betting it'll turn out to be a better value than the actual Dremel. Whatever oof-brand cheapo you find at Lowes is probably of the same manufacturer as my knockoff, and this is one place where I'd advise taking a chance on the cheapo off-brand item than paying the premium for an actual Dremel. If you're going to be a really heavy user, you'll want to invest in a Foredom unit like mentioned above.

Never used a flex shaft, but always wanted to try one.

For cut-off wheels, (which I use all the time) I get the fibre-reinforced ones on the big auction site. They are a lot better than the thin, non-fibre ones that are standard with a Dremel kit. Those things seem to shatter at the slightest provocation. Also need a mandrel to mount those wheels on, but that'll probably be included in whatever kit you buy.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 02-27-17, 01:34 AM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Dremels are good for two things in my book: cutting modern/index cable housing, and polishing small parts that are hard to access by hand. The somewhat new quick release "EZ Lock" mandrel is a must. Both the EZ lock cutting wheels and the little cloth mini buff work very well. The old Dremel cut off disks were kind of a joke.

I don't find the flex shafts useful. Variable speed is useful. Which model you get probably won't make much difference for bike related hobbyist uses.
Agree about the older-type cut off discs; they had a tendency to break apart after a while.

Mine is an older variable-speed model (I've had it for over 30 years), but it still works quite well; I actually get a lot of use out of it.

Admittedly, purpose-built drills are better for heavy work, but my Dremel is an excellent tool for most small jobs.

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 02-27-17 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Spelling & punctuation.
Old 02-27-17, 02:46 AM
realsteel

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I use a Proxxon Micromot (PROXXON - MICROMOT 50 and 50/E) which works at low voltage (requires a 12-18 volt power supply). It's very light for a rotary tool and runs up to 20,000 RPM.

I find it tends to get rather hot after prolonged work but it's been an essential part of my tool box for years. The bearings are a bit shot now though.

Proxxon also makes other low-voltage hand tools like this pen sander:

... which is somewhat underpowered but is good for very fine work.
Old 02-27-17, 02:49 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Whatever you get, if you're in no hurry and want to save a few bucks, wait until May. Usually on sale for Father's day gifts.

Last edited by oddjob2; 02-27-17 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 04:49 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I've had a Black & Decker RTX 6 speed model since about 2001. Used it probably hundreds of times and never had an issue. I see the ones today show 3 speeds but I think it's the same thing, just fewer numbers on the dial. It slowly speeds up as you turn the dial so it's not really a set number of speeds. Can't beat the price.
Old 02-27-17, 05:29 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Get the best one you can afford. Even if you can barely afford it. It will pay off with long tool life.
This. I got the Harbor Freight cheapo to dip my toe in the rotary tool world. I hate that thing, but my logic was that I'll see if it's useful with a bike, and if so, I'll upgrade. It turns out that the rotary tools are extremely useful. I will definitely upgrade, but I'm lazy, so I'm caught between a lame rotary tool and a soft place.
Old 02-27-17, 06:48 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
+1 on a vintage Fordam. Bullet-proof.
Old 02-27-17, 10:00 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
+2 on Foredom, it's the bomb for flexible shaft work: can't beat the foot-pedal rheostat but wish it had a keyless chuck (and one that actually GRIPS unlike the garbage on my electric drills).
I have more than one flex-shaft for my Dremels (yes, 2) but never used them cause once you use a Foredom what's the point? The Dremels (both corded multi-speed trad models one with a wrench-less chuck) still get plenty of use but YES they can be the wrong tool for the job when CONTROL is crucial...experience teaches.
Old 02-27-17, 10:39 AM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
The issue of control is a big one with me. I'd much rather be holding and trying to control a slim hand piece that goes on a flex shaft than the fat motor-in-body Dremel tool. I have three hand pieces for my old Dremel 732, from one inch to half inch diameter.
I'm not real fond of the #30 standard hand piece that comes with most Foredom tools, including my old tool, with its 3 jaw chuck. But have yet to bite the bullet on a #28 or similar.

Of course, if you're just going to use your Dremel for cutting cables and the occasional polishing task, the fat corded models are fine.
Old 03-04-17, 10:28 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Thanks for all the opinions. I appreciate the combined wisdom of this forum.

I'm leaning toward the Proxxon brand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.