Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Guess I just want encouragement too!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 10:18 AM
homebody146

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Trek FX7.3, Bianchi Campione d'italia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Moved to a new place middle of 2011....basically had more time to do what i wanted but didn't. Didn't bring the bike out of storage (big mistake). Long story short, August had me in the hospital with multiple clots in both lungs along with a DVT in left leg. Was told I was very lucky....if I had waited another week, I'd be now pushing up daisies. Result is I'm on coumadin, maybe for life. In any event, hospital stay left me with pinched nerve and problem with right leg....only now finally coming back. So all I can do is walk. Since then also have irregular heartbeat (fortunately not a-fib). Never had this problem before. Asked the cardiologist if I could bike, at least on a trainer so he scheduled a stress test for tomorrow (1/18/13). All things being equal, I'm hoping he says ok.....but we'll see what tomorrow brings. Must say, though, reading about you all has encouraged me already. Maybe we need a new forum, "post hospital riding".

Last edited by homebody146; 01-17-13 at 10:19 AM. Reason: corrected date
Old 01-17-13, 10:38 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Follow your doc's advice and take it a little bit at a time. Great journeys begin with a single step!

Old 01-17-13, 11:45 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Glad you survived. Quite a few here are "Survivors" but not many left it as late as you did. Listen to the physio and I hope that stress test doesn't hurt TOO much.

Welcome back- In more ways than one.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-17-13, 01:09 PM
FMB42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi homebody146!

You may, or may not, be interested in this true story (the passage of nearly 40 years has faded some of the details):

1975ish: A well loved 40 something year old acquaintance of mine took a company physical and badly failed the treadmill test. This man was not overweight and had been a multi-sport "star" during his high school and college days (football, swimming, etc, etc).

Further tests indicated that he had a very bad heart artery which was repaired by the then "new" method of replacing it with a section of an artery taken from his leg. He thereafter developed a well-planned and doctor advised diet along with an exercise program that primarily included walking, tread-milling, and golfing.

All was well until about 5 years later when he had to go through the same procedure yet again (on another heart artery).

Fast forward to the late '80s: This man had yet another similar procedure and was told that "this would be the last time" time for him. Doctors of the day suggested that he had 5 - 10 years of "life" left and that he'd might want to prepare for the worst.

This gentleman and his family, of course, took this news as best they could while he continued with his exercise program (he also worked full-time as an executive until his retirement at ~ 70).

This man is now in his early "80s and, while not in the best of health, continues to walk and even play golf regularly. The ironic thing is that he has now out-lived his "never sick a day in his life" older brother by nearly a decade.

To this day, he and his family and friends, give credit to 5 things that they believe both saved his life and allowed him to live so long (when the odds seemed to be "stacked against" him).

These things are:

1. The advanced medical procedures, and preventative medicines, that were available to him.

2. The change of diet that he made.

3. The exercise routine he maintained. 4. His desire and ability to closely follow his doctor's orders.

5. The life-long "happy go lucky" attitude that he pretty much enjoys to this day.

Note: this man often mentions that he "owes his life" to the love that exists between him and his family and friends.

HTH We wish you the very best in your recovery!
Old 01-17-13, 03:26 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
They say it's not the cards you get dealt, it's how you play them.

I can't help but notice that we tend to get dealt worse hands as we go along. Not fair if you ask me.

It sounds like you are playing your cards well in spite of the bad shuffle.

You might consider a recumbent trike, like a catrike. I know people on Coumadin ride uprights all the time and do just fine, but people can go most anywhere on a good catrike and they seem safe and stable. Just a thought.

Old 01-17-13, 05:00 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Daisies are much more attractive when seen from above, aren't they? Best wishes for many fine rides that begin with short and slow and go on from there.

If you can only ride a mile to start you will already be riding further than the huge majority of the U.S. population. In fact, as soon as you air the tires you will be ahead of the curve.
Old 01-17-13, 05:32 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
In fact, as soon as you air the tires you will be ahead of the curve.

No kidding there. With CHF the hardest part of cycling for me is pumping up the tires on my new bike to 90psi. Keep moving along as best you can. Visit the board often for support and you will be riding up a storm. Good luck.
Old 01-17-13, 06:54 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I hope you get good news tomorrow, but whatever the news and whatever the prognosis, I get the impression that you will take it in stride and make the most of it.
Old 01-17-13, 08:35 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Those irregular heart beats can drive one nuts.Mine comes and goes.The doc never heard it so he thinks I/m crazy.I wore monitors and been tested.they can't figure it out.My wife is a nurse and she heard my heart stop and 2 seconds later several short beats.This happened after I came home from the gym and rested.I would work out instead of watching TV at home.The gym closed at 11pm I was in bed at 1130pm and the heart would act up.Eventually I just stopped the gym.Next thing I reduced coffee and beer.I switched to more cardio and laid off heavy weights.My doc said when it happens go for a walk.In the past three years I had about 3 episodes.Thats better than every night.Let us know how the test goes.Good luck!..........Summit I'm in the same county Rahway
Old 01-17-13, 09:12 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
When you feel up to it & it's a warm day & and the Doc says OK; send me a PM and I"ll take a short ride with you. I'm just down the mountian from you in Rahway. Matter fact there are some other local 50+ riders that would love to give you a bit of motivation to get back on the bike. Hope all goes well for you!
Old 01-17-13, 09:36 PM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by homebody146
Maybe we need a new forum, "post hospital riding".
homebody146... sounds like you have the right attitude... and I hope you pass the stress test with flying
colors. I am recovering from recent heart valve replacement and can't wait to get back on the bike, I think mainly to prove to myself that I am fully recovered.. but I cant rush that, and neither should you. Listen to the Cardiologist and you will be riding again very soon. I was on warfarin for a while, but after surgery and one month of Pradaxa, the doctor took me off all thinners except for 81mg aspirin. Warfarin (coumadin) is not so bad though, if you need it.. take it.

Pete
Old 01-17-13, 10:19 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
My best hopes and prayers go with you tomorrow! Hope to see you on the road somewhere, sometime, someday!
Old 01-18-13, 07:12 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Pumping the tires up is the easiest part. They have these things that plug in, you attach them to your valve stem and they make lots of noise and pump the tire right up. I think they call them "electric air pumps." Which is silly, because the air isn't electrical; it's the pump that's... oh, never mind.

Anyway, good luck with the stress test.
Old 01-18-13, 07:18 PM
homebody146

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Trek FX7.3, Bianchi Campione d'italia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words.....all went apparently well....did the test with the medicine (lexiscan I think) and not the treadmill....nuclear stuff too.....when they injected the Lexiscan, doctor smiled a big smile. Apparently one of the side effects is slowing down and regularizing heart beats....and it did it to me. Can't complain about that side effect! He seemed content with that part of it and will get back to me next week with final review of the entire test. Thanks again.