Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your mixte (mhendricks' new happy place)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your mixte (mhendricks' new happy place)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 11:32 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Posted earlier this week - original Motobecane Super Mirage mixte (circa 1976 or 1977) at a thrift store Monday for $20.

Unbelievably my wife is letting me keep it so when our kids have friends over in the summer there will be something for them to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP5585.jpg (98.5 KB, 136 views)
IMGP5584.jpg (104.8 KB, 137 views)
IMGP5581.jpg (102.1 KB, 169 views)
IMGP5582.jpg (103.3 KB, 124 views)

Old 03-06-11, 11:43 AM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The MAX
Something about Mixte that is inherently european vintage looking
The design was known in Europe in the early 1900's, so it's small wonder... I love the style of the frame, it's a shame that it does resemble what is known as a "Women's" frame here in the U.S.A. I really think it has it's own niche in the bicycle universe, and would have been a far more popular frame if not for that. Thankfully it is being viewed more and more properly as a "Unisex" frame, and some manufacturers are starting to make larger size versions with men in mind now.
Old 03-06-11, 05:32 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Soma Buena Vista with Nuvinci Hub

I finally got it together. "It" being the new mixte bike. Based on the Soma Buena Vista frame it's a mixte design made of Tange Prestige tubing. I wanted an IGH drivetrain and found that the new lighter weight Nuvinci hub provided what I .think is the best value on the market. Today was the first real ride I took on the finished bike and my immediate reaction is wow...OMG...wow!
The combination of the sporty geomety of the Soma frame, the 650b tires and the gearless Nuvinci hub have created a responsive, fast and light city bike which promises years of pleasurable bopping around town.
The bike is a compilation of parts I selected from Soma, Rivendell, Velo-Orange and the local LBS. Basically, everybody got into my pocket a little bit.
The first ride was like nothing I have ever experienced. The Nuvinci hub works so smoothly that there is never any break in pedaling cadence. It is an entirely intuitive experience, constantly adjusting, rather than shifting to meet the needs of the pedaling resistance. There is an indicator which serves no real practical purpose since there are no specific gears to indicate. I referred to it at stop signs to give me a starting point, but once moving, the adjustment is made entirely by feel.
There are a lot of components on this bike that I have never used and during the next few days my blog will include more detailed information on those and why, after 40 years of experience on city streets, I chose them.

Marc
Attached Images
IMG_0499-1.JPG (76.6 KB, 189 views)
IMG_0496-1.JPG (78.8 KB, 182 views)
IMG_0495-1.JPG (78.3 KB, 216 views)
IMG_0498-1.JPG (70.2 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by irwin7638; 03-06-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 10:10 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I finally got it together. "It" being the new mixte bike. Based on the Soma Buena Vista frame it's a mixte design made of Tange Prestige tubing. I wanted an IGH drivetrain and found that the new lighter weight Nuvinci hub provided what I .think is the best value on the market. Today was the first real ride I took on the finished bike and my immediate reaction is wow...OMG...wow!
The combination of the sporty geomety of the Soma frame, the 650b tires and the gearless Nuvinci hub have created a responsive, fast and light city bike which promises years of pleasurable bopping around town.
The bike is a compilation of parts I selected from Soma, Rivendell, Velo-Orange and the local LBS. Basically, everybody got into my pocket a little bit.
The first ride was like nothing I have ever experienced. The Nuvinci hub works so smoothly that there is never any break in pedaling cadence. It is an entirely intuitive experience, constantly adjusting, rather than shifting to meet the needs of the pedaling resistance. There is an indicator which serves no real practical purpose since there are no specific gears to indicate. I referred to it at stop signs to give me a starting point, but once moving, the adjustment is made entirely by feel.
There are a lot of components on this bike that I have never used and during the next few days my blog will include more detailed information on those and why, after 40 years of experience on city streets, I chose them.

Marc
Marc, that Soma came out fabulously! I thought that the Soma mixte frames took only 26" (on the smallest frame) or 700c wheels (on the larger frames). What size frame is this? And what brake reach is needed for the 650B wheels?

My wife is itching for a mixte, and she needs a 58cm frame (and she wants new, not vintage). If I could get a Soma Buena Vista 58cm frame to take a 650B wheelset with 38mm tires and room for fenders, I'd buy one today!

Last edited by southpawboston; 03-07-11 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 11:55 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Originally Posted by southpawboston
Marc, that Soma came out fabulously! I thought that the Soma mixte frames took only 26" (on the smallest frame) or 700c wheels (on the larger frames). What size frame is this? And what brake reach is needed for the 650B wheels?

My wife is itching for a mixte, and she needs a 58cm frame (and she wants new, not vintage). If I could get a Soma Buena Vista 58cm frame to take a 650B wheelset with 38mm tires and room for fenders, I'd buy one today!
That is just what you're looking at. I needed the long reach (73mm)Tecktro brakes to make it fit. I decided on the 650b wheels because there is no clearance for anything wider than 28mm tires if I used 700c with fenders. This is the one you want. So far I love the Soma express tires in 38-584.

Marc
Old 03-07-11, 11:58 AM
southpawboston

That is just what you're looking at. I needed the long reach (73mm)Tecktro brakes to make it fit. I decided on the 650b wheels because there is no clearance for anything wider than 28mm tires if I used 700c with fenders. This is the one you want. So far I love the Soma express tires in 38-584.

Marc
Good info, thanks! Oh, man, I'm close to pulling the trigger... my wife's birthday is in a month, so the timing could be perfect. Is clearance tight with the 38mm Soma Express tires? What size VO fenders are you running?
Old 03-07-11, 08:24 PM
irwin7638

Good info, thanks! Oh, man, I'm close to pulling the trigger... my wife's birthday is in a month, so the timing could be perfect. Is clearance tight with the 38mm Soma Express tires? What size VO fenders are you running?
The fenders are 45mm 650b, there's no clearance problem with the Soma express tires.
I'll see if I can post a photo tomorrow.

Marc
Old 03-07-11, 11:11 PM
jeffmendoza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
'85 Miyata 210, which was the low end touring model.

Background on the bike:
Bought about 3 years ago at a garage sale for $15. Was mostly original except that it had a stem extension on it, w/ the stem shifters. Looks like someone had got real exited with reflector stickers and nail polish.

At the time I didn't know much about wrenching on bikes, and was scared of cables and derailleurs, so converted it to a single speed. The inner chainring bolts rounded out when I removed them, also I used the original RD on another bike.

Now I wanted to put it back to geared. Got a new (to me) RD on ebay. Problem was no one had the inner chainring bolts for the crank. It's an SR w/ smaller bolts. I decided to use the original middle 45t as an outer, and get a 34t 110bcd for the inner. I used a Suntour Vx FD I had laying around, because the original one was for a triple. I also got a new Shimano 7 speed freewheel. Everything came out great, shifters are magic. (I had a Fuji S12-S before with shifters like these)

Need to redo the finishing tape.

SunTour Vx FD
SR "Signature" 165 110/74 Cranks
Original middle 45t used as outer
New Sugino 34t 110 for inner
74 BCD not used
Shimano UN 54 BB (original loose-ball was pitted)

New Shimano 7sp 14-28 freewheel
Shimano RD-M330 off ebay

Great SunTour Power ratcheting shifters

Triple butted cromo frame Manganese steel fork

Nice Dia-Compe levers

Interesting mixte cable routing for rear cantis

Old 03-07-11, 11:22 PM
raverson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmendoza
Interesting mixte cable routing for rear cantis
That is interesting and very clean looking.
Old 03-07-11, 11:54 PM
Eileen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inspector Dorothy checking the FD:

It's Mardi Gras on the Gulf Coast. She's dolled up with beads for a parade she and I rode in yesterday:

I really like this bike.
Old 03-08-11, 12:04 AM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Marc
This is exactly what I want to do with my Raleigh Super Course.
Old 03-08-11, 09:53 AM
irwin7638

Originally Posted by Eileen
This is exactly what I want to do with my Raleigh Super Course.
I just posted my experience installing the Nuvinci hub.

https://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...vinci-hub.html

Marc
Old 03-08-11, 10:23 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
this thread has given me mixte lust
Old 03-08-11, 01:05 PM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
this thread has given me mixte lust
I have three of them now; is that mixte polyamory?
Old 03-08-11, 03:00 PM
anastrophe
practically invincible.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, depends. Do they all know each other and everyone agrees, or are you sneaking around on all the bikes?
Old 03-09-11, 10:33 AM
irwin7638

The fenders are 45mm 650b, there's no clearance problem with the Soma express tires.
I'll see if I can post a photo tomorrow.

Marc
As you can see, there is plenty of clearance with those fenders and 650b tires on the Soma frame.
Attached Images
IMG_0507-1.JPG (61.3 KB, 139 views)
IMG_0509-1.JPG (30.5 KB, 134 views)
IMG_0508-1.JPG (65.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 03-09-11, 11:35 AM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anastrophe
Well, depends. Do they all know each other and everyone agrees, or are you sneaking around on all the bikes?
We all live in the same house together. I do not ask for permission or opinions when I decide to bring a new mixte home, though.
Old 03-09-11, 01:02 PM
southpawboston

As you can see, there is plenty of clearance with those fenders and 650b tires on the Soma frame.
Wow, that clearance does look good. Did the 45mm fenders require any dimpling/squeezing at the fork crown or the chainstays?
Old 03-10-11, 08:39 AM
irwin7638

Wow, that clearance does look good. Did the 45mm fenders require any dimpling/squeezing at the fork crown or the chainstays?
Nope, and the frame has a boss built into the seat stay bridge to bolt right into the fender. They thought this one through.

Marc
Old 03-10-11, 10:04 AM
anastrophe
practically invincible.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We all live in the same house together. I do not ask for permission or opinions when I decide to bring a new mixte home, though.
Then no, that's mixte polygamy, not mixte polyamory
Old 03-12-11, 07:15 PM
Kinst VonSterga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Absolute L Mixte 1987

Built for my daughter to ride with vintage-old Dad and his old timer bikes ;-) Upgraded some of the original parts to add a little more pizzaz and safety.

Fuji Absolute L Mixte 1987 / Mavic Open / Shimano 600ex Arabesque
Attached Images
Kinst_Daugther_Mixte.jpg (99.9 KB, 796 views)
Old 03-21-11, 10:37 AM
irwin7638

Caught in the wild

I saw this very well used and all original Motobecane outside the Chicago Art Institute over the weekend. I looks like it's been used daily since it was built.

Marc
Attached Images
031811160423_01.jpg (98.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 03-21-11, 11:09 AM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by Kinst VonSterga
Built for my daughter to ride with vintage-old Dad and his old timer bikes ;-) Upgraded some of the original parts to add a little more pizzaz and safety.

Fuji Absolute L Mixte 1987 / Mavic Open / Shimano 600ex Arabesque
That's a fabulous looking mixte. Great build. Does she love it? I hope my kids will still enjoy riding with dear old Dad once they're adults.

And welcome to C&V!

Nope, and the frame has a boss built into the seat stay bridge to bolt right into the fender. They thought this one through.

Marc
Marc, thanks for all your input on this frame. I've just ordered the same one (58cm, graphite) along with a Shimano Nexus 8 IGH and VO Diagonale wheelset for my wife's new build. Same VO hammered fenders, too. This will be her first NEW bike since 1992. She's going to build this up herself with my guidance... that's the plan, at least.

A couple more questions: did you need a spacer between the brake bridge and the fender since the bike was made for 700C? What about at the fork crown? How did you route the IGH cable housing since the frame is designed with stops for split housing to the RD?
Old 03-21-11, 11:13 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

beautiful...

winning!
Old 03-21-11, 02:45 PM
irwin7638

That's a fabulous looking mixte. Great build. Does she love it? I hope my kids will still enjoy riding with dear old Dad once they're adults.

And welcome to C&V!

Marc, thanks for all your input on this frame. I've just ordered the same one (58cm, graphite) along with a Shimano Nexus 8 IGH and VO Diagonale wheelset for my wife's new build. Same VO hammered fenders, too. This will be her first NEW bike since 1992. She's going to build this up herself with my guidance... that's the plan, at least.

A couple more questions: did you need a spacer between the brake bridge and the fender since the bike was made for 700C? What about at the fork crown? How did you route the IGH cable housing since the frame is designed with stops for split housing to the RD?
I did not use a spacer, I just adjusted the fender line with the rear stays. The front fender is anchored with the Duarma bolt without the large washer and rubber grommet. For some reason the brake bolt was long and forced the bolt too far forward to use those. I didn't think it a big deal since the fender really provides the protection. Regarding the IGH cable housing, I had a little bit more of a problem because the Nuvinci hub has two cables requiring complete housing ( yeah, walk into your LBS and tell them you need 14 ft of shifter housing. The look you get is priceless!) But what I did was use downtube cable stops and removed the barrel adjusters. The Jagwire housing fit right through. That started the routing. I used zip-ties with plastic anchors to put the rest in place, making use of the existing bosses and bolts. You might look at this for details:

https://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...vinci-hub.html

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 03-21-11 at 02:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.