Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the point of nice wheels on a fixie?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 08:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I do all my own wheels and have been running a few suicidal wheel sets on a couple of my bikes...these were NOS wheel sets that I did not have to build from scratch but rather, rebuilt.

One is built with Normandy high flange hubs, 1.6 (light) butted spokes and Weinmann hoops while the other is Sansin hubs, single gauge spokes and Araya hoops. Both sets are really light.

They've shared better than 8000 km of daily riding and commuting duties with the Sansin / Araya set doing most of the work and have been equally bombproof, have not required any more than a most minute trueing, and I expect them to take me at least another 8000 km.

A good wheel build is so important... I did these for lack of $$$ and when/if I get new wheels I'll either be building them from scratch or rebuilding off the shelf wheels to ensure things are right.

The wheels on my mtb are also standing up to day to day commuting and much harder riding...it's built on a Suzue hub with Araya RM20 hoops.
Old 03-16-08, 08:22 PM
No Poachers
Bro Salad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zambaccian
This is my first build and I'm trying to decide between a cheapo Alexrims wheelset for $100 and this Weinmann deep-V wheelset with some nicer (sealed-bearing etc) hubs for $180.

What would I actually get out of nicer wheels, though? I can understand light / aerodynamic wheels for road biking and racing but what's the point for street fixies?

Do you live in Santa Cruz?
Old 03-16-08, 08:27 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
I ride an open pro rear, because i ride an odd wheel size and i like the strength associated with it more than anything. not so much for trickness but just because i need something that can handle anything and stay true
Old 03-16-08, 09:31 PM
lymbzero
otherwiseordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I once knew a guy (who shall remain nameless who started out riding fixed on a low end Quando hub with gritty 4$$ bearings that felt like sandy tar filled bushings. He kept complaining about speed.

That being said, with whatever wheel you choose: Let the hub be of decent quality, smooth. Sealed IMO.

There is nothing worse then buying cheapo-junky parts and regretting it latter.

PS: A bicycle can range from junk to a holy relic. IMHO: Aim towards the middle. Practically beautiful.
Old 03-16-08, 10:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Poor bearing quality is a killer... if my wheels won't spin like perpetual motion machines when the bike is on the stand then I'm not a happy camper.
Old 03-16-08, 11:01 PM
abeyance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really can't believe someone hasn't gone here yet.

Commentary on so many levels......
Old 03-17-08, 09:07 AM
gearkraft
simply krafting.

Bikes: 53cm Mercier Kilo TT Special Limited Edition (Black/Chrome)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Poor bearing quality is a killer... if my wheels won't spin like perpetual motion machines when the bike is on the stand then I'm not a happy camper.
haha, I do this too. Sometimes I will even see how long I can get them to spin.

The lighter the better. Always.
Old 03-17-08, 09:34 AM
Peedtm
Tell them I hate them

Bikes: Specialized Allez Epic '91, IRO Mark V Pro, Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Its worth pointing out that a person can stress relieve and retension the spokes on a machine built wheel and have something thats basically as good as a hand built wheel. If you go with a budget set of wheels, its worth the extra cost of taking your wheels into a shop and having the spokes stress relieved and the tension adjusted. If the shop guy does it right it will dramatically increase the longevity of the wheel. If your wheel subsequently goes out of true, then you probably need a new LBS.
I disagree. As I understand it (I've seen video,) The rim itself is pretty distorted as the machine starts out by putting near full tension on each spoke when it first assembles the wheel. This pulls the wheel into an oval (causing some mnor, but permanent distortion) before it's fully laced and the machine starts passing it through the sensors to true it. This means you'll have a very hard time getting both, even spoke tension and a round/true wheel.
Old 03-17-08, 10:44 AM
parkerlewis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will not gain any advantage by choosing a road front over a track HF front, other than saving money....looks crap, slightly weaker wheel build, and a tiny bit lighter.
Old 03-17-08, 11:02 AM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tires will make a bigger difference than wheel choice, unless you ride fixed gear Zipps. But even then...
Old 03-17-08, 11:40 AM
kringle
I step on puppies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lymbzero

I once knew a guy (who shall remain nameless who started out riding fixed on a low end Quando hub with gritty 4$$ bearings that felt like sandy tar filled bushings. He kept complaining about speed.

That being said, with whatever wheel you choose: Let the hub be of decent quality, smooth. Sealed IMO.

There is nothing worse then buying cheapo-junky parts and regretting it latter.

PS: A bicycle can range from junk to a holy relic. IMHO: Aim towards the middle. Practically beautiful.
That really doesn't have to do with the hub so much, unless it's warped or deformed. I bought a crappy pair of Vuelta XRPs for my beater and threw on some Enduro Max bearings in there, it spins great.

I also re-tensioned and trued the wheels, now I can't tell a difference between them and the Mavic/Formula wheels I use, unless I'm using different tires on each.
Old 03-17-08, 11:49 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Peedtm
I disagree. As I understand it (I've seen video,) The rim itself is pretty distorted as the machine starts out by putting near full tension on each spoke when it first assembles the wheel. This pulls the wheel into an oval (causing some mnor, but permanent distortion) before it's fully laced and the machine starts passing it through the sensors to true it. This means you'll have a very hard time getting both, even spoke tension and a round/true wheel.
I have hand corrected numerous machine built wheels and have always been able to achieve a wheel that "stands" (holds its tension and true) as reliably as a hand built wheel.

Hand correcting a machine built wheel lets you achieve even spoke tension and the right amount of spoke tension. As long as you have those, a slight wobble in the rim is not very important, in fact its practically unavoidable with perfectly even spoke tension, because no rim starts out as being perfectly round. Bike wheels don't usually rotate fast enough for a slight wobble to make any difference.
Old 03-17-08, 11:58 AM
Peedtm
Tell them I hate them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference is noticed in brake calibration.

edit: On topic, the difference is noticed in durability, ie Al metal fatigue
Old 03-17-08, 12:01 PM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by parkerlewis
You will not gain any advantage by choosing a road front over a track HF front, other than saving money....looks crap, slightly weaker wheel build, and a tiny bit lighter.
A front (road) hub can save you around 100 grams (and possibly more), which is a lot of weight for a single component. Road hubs can be cheaper and they come in a greater variety of spoke counts. Those are pretty substantial benefits for a single component. Its absurd to think that a road hub makes the wheel weak...a lot of factors determine the strength and durability of a wheel.
Old 03-17-08, 12:08 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zambaccian
So it's mostly a matter of longevity?

Do good hubs actually make you go faster or what?
Theoretically, good hubs have lower rolling resistance. However, the difference isn't something that you're likely to notice in terms of resistance (it's less difference than +-2 psi in your tires makes). What will be noticeably different is the "feel". Good hubs feel better, make the bike more fun to ride.

Kotts

Last edited by Kotts; 03-17-08 at 12:08 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 03-17-08, 12:14 PM
mihlbach

The difference is noticed in brake calibration.

edit: On topic, the difference is noticed in durability, ie Al metal fatigue
Is this what you think, or is it based on your experience building, tensioning, and riding several wheelsets for thousands of miles? I really think you are exaggerating the differences here

Fatigue comes from riding undertensioned wheels. Its doesn't really matter if a machine or a human put the wheel together...as long as the spokes are properly tensioned and that tension is maintained, the wheel will hold its true and last a long time (assuming its not abused in other ways).

Last edited by mihlbach; 03-18-08 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 12:22 PM
Peedtm
Tell them I hate them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Work at a shop pt, so it's not all my own riding.

My first statement is regarding how close you can have the pads to the rim. Not too debatable.

My 2nd statement is open to debate, but as I have seen the process, have read a few write ups about it, and built wheels as well as assembled many new bikes (and corrected the tension/true,) I stand by my statement.
Old 03-17-08, 12:39 PM
mihlbach

Work at a shop pt, so it's not all my own riding.

My first statement is regarding how close you can have the pads to the rim. Not too debatable.
I don't understand...seems to me you are assuming that a machine built wheel can't be trued as accuractly as a hand built wheel, which is incorrect of course.

My 2nd statement is open to debate, but as I have seen the process, have read a few write ups about it, and built wheels as well as assembled many new bikes (and corrected the tension/true,) I stand by my statement.
I ride and have ridden a combination of hand-built and machine built wheels. The machine built wheels are stress-relieved and trued by me, using the same methods I use when building custom wheels. They have lasted as long and as reliably as any wheel I have ever built by hand. Its true that machine built wheels are often made with lower grade components, while hand built wheels are most often made with higher grade components. Machine built wheels are also more likely to loose tension if they are not hand adjusted. Low quality components and lack of maintenance (mostly the later) explains why machine built wheels are inferior. But with equivalent parts, I maintain there is no significant difference between a hand built and machine built wheel, as long as the later is initially hand adjusted...that was my original point.

Last edited by mihlbach; 03-18-08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 12:45 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
I like good things in life, whether if they're rims for a street fixed gear or a coffee bean grinder for home use.

Method Man says that no one actually uses expensive bean grinders to grind coffee.

True or false?
Old 03-17-08, 01:09 PM
Peedtm
Tell them I hate them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I don't understand...seems to me you are assuming that a machine built wheel can't be trued, which is incorrect of course.

I ride and have ridden a combination of hand-built and machine built wheels. The machine built wheels are stress-relieved and trued by me, using the same methods I use when building custom wheels. They have lasted as long and as reliably as any wheel I have ever built by hand. Its true that machine built wheels are often made with lower grade components, while hand built wheels are most often made with higher grade components. Machine built wheels are also more likely to loose tension if they are not hand adjusted. Low quality components and lack of maintenance (mostly the later) explains why machine built wheels are inferior. But with equivalent parts, I maintain there is no significant difference between a hand built and machine built wheel, as long as the later is initially hand adjusted...that was my original point.

Pt 1: A wheel typically cannot (I don't like absolute statements) be trued/rounded perfectly if paying mind to spoke tension. This also depends on the accuracy of the original hoop, but I contend the machine building process permanently bends hoops into wobbly ovals,.

Pt. 2: See Pt 1.

I think we're coming to an impass and will have to agree to disagree. It just good knowing that I'm right.
Old 03-17-08, 01:11 PM
Peedtm
Tell them I hate them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serendipper
Method Man says that no one actually uses expensive bean grinders to grind coffee.

True or false?
Sometimes I call my crack rocks "coffee" and I only use the best to grind that **** up. So false?
Old 03-17-08, 01:14 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I call my crack rocks "coffee" and I only use the best to grind that **** up. So false?

Crackheads grind rocks? That's wierd. But what is "standard" crackhead protocol? I actually don't want to know.
Old 03-17-08, 01:14 PM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kotts
Theoretically, good hubs have lower rolling resistance. However, the difference isn't something that you're likely to notice in terms of resistance (it's less difference than +-2 psi in your tires makes). What will be noticeably different is the "feel". Good hubs feel better, make the bike more fun to ride.

Kotts
I don't buy this, but I do like high end shimano hubs for their nice borazon treated cups and cones.
Old 03-17-08, 01:19 PM
mihlbach

I contend the machine building process permanently bends hoops into wobbly ovals.
I doubt it...or at least its not as extreme as you seem to be claiming. Its certainly not enough to interfere with braking or render the wheel untruable.
Old 03-17-08, 01:24 PM
Peedtm
Tell them I hate them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not claiming any of what you just attributed to me. What I am claiming is that you can't polish a turd.

99% of bikes have these wheels. They're obviously good enough. Just not good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.