Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Running Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 06:20 PM
TimArchy

Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running Fixed

I ran my first 10k Sunday morning (and when I say morning I mean that it started at 6am because it's pushing 100 by 11am). I ran a lot in high school playing soccer, but I was a goalkeeper so I generally only ran about half as far as everyone else. The 10k was going to be the farthest I'd run ever in one stretch.

My assumption was that riding fixed would give me an advantage over those who rode road bikes because it trained my legs to be in constant motion. And I thought that being able to ride 100k would make it easy to run 1/10 that distance.

Apparently I was wrong on both accounts. Actually, as to the first, I'm not really sure. Since the run hurt so much, I may be able to assume that riding a freewheel may have made it hurt marginally more. Anyone with experience on this? And riding definitely does not prepare you for running. At all.

I ran the whole thing, and came in under an hour. But there is something disheartening (and adorable) about being passed by an 8yr old in the last 20m that happened to run it in bare feet.
Old 03-17-08, 06:42 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Fixed gear doesn't magically make you a better cyclist any more than not coasting on a road bike. Fixed allows you to be lazy everywhere in your pedal stroke. Freewheels do not. People who switch from road bikes who don't coast already to fixed gear find it easier, not harder.
Old 03-17-08, 07:00 PM
jilla82

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha....I learned that riding doesnt help w/ running when running down the block trying to catch a bus

it seems running only helps with running

ill stick to cycling
Old 03-17-08, 07:06 PM
TimArchy

Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Fixed gear doesn't magically make you a better cyclist any more than not coasting on a road bike. Fixed allows you to be lazy everywhere in your pedal stroke. Freewheels do not. People who switch from road bikes who don't coast already to fixed gear find it easier, not harder.
Sticking to one type of riding (either fixed or geared) won't ever make you the best you can be. I do agree that it is more difficult to spin fast and long on a freewheel than fixed.
Old 03-17-08, 07:31 PM
gz_
FREE DEATHHARE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, if you want to be a better runner you gotta run. Running will build up the cartilage in your knees just building up muscle. It will also make you shed weight faster which will in turn make you a better runner. In any case, running sucks because it's boring, won't take you anywhere, and hurts a lot so just stick with biking.
Old 03-17-08, 08:23 PM
jlin
matters cryptozoological

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gz_
running sucks because it's boring, won't take you anywhere, and hurts a lot so just stick with biking.
amen.
Old 03-17-08, 08:27 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*cues Flock Of Seagulls record*
Old 03-17-08, 08:32 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run every once and while for a number of reasons. For one thing, running improves bone density. For another it strengthens muscles and joints in a way that low impact exercise does not. I pretty much hate it but running off road with some music or an audiobook makes it tolerable.
Old 03-17-08, 09:29 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my wife was training for a half marathon last summer I decided to go running with her. I figured I'd have no trouble keeping up since I ride so much, but I got my ass handed to me. She, on the other hand, is slooooow on a bike.

Using a variety muscles makes you healthier than just doing one thing all the time. I've found that running and swimming regularly helps my overall sense of well being. I usually run about 3 miles weekly and swim a couple times a week. Sometimes I ride to a trail head, do some trail running and ride back home. Makes for a really intense/sweet workout.
Old 03-17-08, 09:34 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I find that runners are often fantastic cyclists; the inverse is not necessarily true, though.
Old 03-17-08, 09:35 PM
dayvan cowboy

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't ran reguarly since I played football in middle school. The next time I ran was during my freshmen year of college when a friend and I had to run from some cops and i hadn't been that winded in my entire life.
Old 03-17-08, 09:46 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Running sucks cuz it's hard.
Old 03-17-08, 10:37 PM
metaljim
Banned.

Bikes: 2009 Surly Steamroller, 19?? Fuji ?, 19?? Univega Viva Sport, Marin/Xtracycle combo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i try to avoid running unless i'm trying to catch someone, or trying not to be caught by someone.
Old 03-17-08, 11:04 PM
zelah
Banned

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my...giiiiirlfriend...wants me to start running with her. i like the excuse to buy **** i don't need (shoes, small shorts). but i don't know

should i do it bikeforums?
Old 03-17-08, 11:25 PM
TimArchy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait. You want to buy small shorts?

When I see your average runner in their microlight booty shorts, it reminds me of the people who ride hybrids in lycra.

Get a pair of soccer shorts and save us both the embarrassment.

And +1 on running sucking. It's been two days and I'm just starting to walk normal again. The funny thing is, yesterday, I could hardly walk 10ft, but my 12k ride to town was completely painless.
Old 03-18-08, 06:28 AM
gz_
FREE DEATHHARE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does have its pluses: female runners are beautiful, marathons are a hell of an achievement, never have to worry about cars/potholes/cops, running in 20F is no big deal, and you burn calories like a madman when running at something like twice the rate of biking. I do both so I can kid myself that I'll do an Ironman some day.
Old 03-18-08, 07:31 AM
*new*guy
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
I find that runners are often fantastic cyclists; the inverse is not necessarily true, though.

We had a guy on our racing team who was a professional runner before switching to cycling. Suffice to say he's a terrible bike handler, knows nothing about race tactics, and pretty much annoys everyone around him. *BUT* he can also ride off the front of the peloton anytime he wants, hold 300 watts on long climbs like it's nothing and humble all but the strongest cat 1s and 2s in the area.
Old 03-18-08, 10:50 AM
thenewblk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah Lance totally didn't win the nyc marathon.
Old 03-18-08, 10:54 AM
crushkilldstroy
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimArchy
The funny thing is, yesterday, I could hardly walk 10ft, but my 12k ride to town was completely painless.
Different muscles mannnnn. Different.
Old 03-18-08, 11:29 AM
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Bikes: several. blue. fun.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everyone who hates running just doesn't do it enough to be comfortable with it. it takes a good month or two to get into your stride, and until then it's ackword.

i'm running my first marathon this year. i'm finding that the base-level fitness and the leg strength translates somewhat- but only to a point. the bottom line is that running is way more stressful on your body than cycling, so doing it you need to be more fit. in the past i've trained my butt off for cycling but never have i been in as good of shape or had my body transform itself the way running has made me.

as for fixed, um, knees. i don't think it's better xtraining than freewheeled, and i'd say the increased stress on knees wouldn't help.
Old 03-18-08, 11:48 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by chimblysweep
as for fixed, um, knees. i don't think it's better xtraining than freewheeled, and i'd say the increased stress on knees wouldn't help.
Hilarious that you distiniguish between the nearly negligible difference between riding fixed/nonfixed and knee health. And then completely ignore the fact that running is 100000x harder on knees than _any_ type of cyclihng.
Old 03-18-08, 11:52 AM
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Bikes: several. blue. fun.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Hilarious that you distiniguish between the nearly negligible difference between riding fixed/nonfixed and knee health. And then completely ignore the fact that running is 100000x harder on knees than _any_ type of cyclihng.
well, skidding in particular *is* hard on your knees. as is controlling speed downhill on a fix.

yes running is hard on your knees. but here's the thing- if your goal is to run 10K why chance missing that goal by further stressing your knees unnecesarily?
Old 03-18-08, 11:54 AM
joshuastar
i'd leave the sweet stuff

Bikes: BCA ten speed / 2007 bfssfg group buy IRO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chimblysweep
the only increased stress on knees is from resisting and skidding.

ergo, resist and skid less, and knee problem solved!

also my knee problems got better after i started riding fixed.

as to running...seriously, i can't even walk right anymore. i've posted about this before, but the few days i have to walk around campus instead of ride, my legs cramp up and i hate life. i'm a bad walker.

i rarely do it anymore.
Old 03-18-08, 12:02 PM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the middle-end of a training for the Boston Marathon. I did a pretty big alleycat in NYC a couple weeks ago, and got my ass handed to me (by more than the usual amount). I should be in pretty damn good running shape, and I think I am. But after 15 miles of riding very hard, I still had my breath, but my legs were shot.

Biking is different. Different muscles, different muscle memory, different levels of exertion.
Old 03-18-08, 12:18 PM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenewblk
yeah Lance totally didn't win the nyc marathon.
Lance was a pro triathlete before he went to cycling. His first marathon was a disappointment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.