Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Carrying a bike on a bike

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 04:20 PM
RangerTampa
-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thought I'd post a couple photos of my solution for carrying a bike on a bike. My kids walk to their schools, but they attend the same aftercare program. I can use this rig to pick up them both by bike. The trail-a-bike is a used Burley Piccolo I picked up recently, and I modded a cheap Schwinn rack to fit it. Then I mounted a fork mount thingy on it, and swapped the solid bolt-on axle from my oldest kid's 20" bike for a quick release axle. I experimented with towing the 20" from the trail-a-bike, with its rear wheel on the ground, but it will fall over on sharp turns (the rear wheel tracks to the inside of the turn); I tried to limit the steering movement by strapping the frame and bars, but I felt that the piggyback arrangement was better, although it's a little top-heavy compared to carrying a kid on the trail-a-bike. The 20" bike's front wheel is just strapped up to the rest of the 20" bike using velcro straps.

[no photos allowed, because of the silly rule about needing 10 posts. Guess I will spam a few threads with useless comments then I can add the photos.]
20" bike carried on Burley Piccolo trail-a-bike.

A fork mount is bolted to the cheap Schwinn rack that's mounted to the Piccolo.
Old 08-21-23, 10:22 AM
RangerTampa
-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I created an Album and uploaded the photos there, if anyone wants to see. Search for this album:

Carrying a bike on a trail a bike