Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Best time to buy coming up?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 10:07 PM
missingmaine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking the best time to buy a new bike at the LBS would be after Christmas, but I have heard a few people say that time to buy is Sept/Oct when the new models are arriving. Any thoughts? I am hoping for Dec/Jan so that I can lose a few more lbs before I get a road bike.

THANKS!
Old 09-10-10, 05:19 AM
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. I know there's supposedly a great deal on a Kona I've been looking at all year.

The downside to this though is that inventories are running low, so you might not be able to find exactly what you want. Or worse- you might buy something that doesn't fit simply because it's on sale.
Old 09-10-10, 05:51 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the best time to buy is whenever you are ready to do so. It's not like buying a car where there are huge rebates and other incentives. If you're lucky you might find a bike that fits you for a few bucks off MSRP. Remember that no matter how good the sale is, a bike that doesn't fit you is a bad deal.

I'd say that if you have the funds, buy the bike now
Old 09-10-10, 07:14 AM
lechwe

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me December and January were the best times to buy. When I bought the previous years bikes were 40% off. That was huge. The longer I waited the fewer bikes in my size were available though.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-10, 08:04 AM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
I think the best time to buy is whenever you are ready to do so. It's not like buying a car where there are huge rebates and other incentives. If you're lucky you might find a bike that fits you for a few bucks off MSRP. Remember that no matter how good the sale is, a bike that doesn't fit you is a bad deal.

I'd say that if you have the funds, buy the bike now
Bike stores generally have to buy the bikes they've got on the floor. So they can be willing to sell an obsolete bike at a discount, or not. Depends on lots of things. If the bike is identical for the next year, they won't. There are also huge lead times on when the bike companies have to decide how many bikes to order. Most of them didn't get many this year, and sold better than they expected, so there aren't lots of "left-over" bikes around this year.
Old 09-10-10, 08:57 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not like buying a car where there are huge rebates and other incentives.
No... but it's close. I bought my mountain bike during the "off season" for 40% less than the MSRP. The best time to buy is just before the next model year's bikes start to arrive at dealerships. They'll be anxious to clear out old bikes, so there are often some very good deals to be had!
Old 09-10-10, 10:36 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It depends on your local market. Many of the shops here in Indy are already just about out of their 2010s. It can already be hard to find a one around here, especially if you're of average height. I'm still holding out myself, mainly because I want to use the new bike as an incentive to get under 200 pounds, but that's just me. I know that when it happens, I may be out of luck. If that's the case, so be it.

Last edited by CraigB; 09-10-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 12:44 PM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
No... but it's close. I bought my mountain bike during the "off season" for 40% less than the MSRP. The best time to buy is just before the next model year's bikes start to arrive at dealerships. They'll be anxious to clear out old bikes, so there are often some very good deals to be had!
For 40% off MSRP...I'm going to have to head out your way the next time in the market for a new bike! Best I've ever seen around here is 10% if any discount at all. Local markets must varry...greatly.

Still, as far as the OP is concerned: is it better to buy now and get what he/she wants, or is it better to pick through the left overs in a few months knowing he/she could come away empty handed or with something he/she didn't really want? That's a lot of time that could have been spent enjoying a new bike in what I consider the best time of year to be riding!
Old 09-10-10, 12:48 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I purchased a bike last year in late October. Got a good price. The dealer didn't have my size in stock but he was able to order one for me. I just looked a few times and finally made them an offer and they took it. It also came with 2 years of tune-up. I think that the best choices for size will be before xmas and you may be able to get a better price after xmas but sizes may be limited.
Old 09-10-10, 01:18 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
For 40% off MSRP...I'm going to have to head out your way the next time in the market for a new bike! Best I've ever seen around here is 10% if any discount at all. Local markets must varry...greatly.

Still, as far as the OP is concerned: is it better to buy now and get what he/she wants, or is it better to pick through the left overs in a few months knowing he/she could come away empty handed or with something he/she didn't really want? That's a lot of time that could have been spent enjoying a new bike in what I consider the best time of year to be riding!
Local markets do vary quite a bit. I got a 25-30% discount on my bike last fall. Last year was also the worst winter in a long time. I would imagine that along the southern belt and west coast there is less discount.

Agreed that the fall may be some of the best riding, I am planning a tour in the middle of October. There is nothing better than having a new shiny bike, riding with the leaves changing colors and mild temperatures.
Old 09-10-10, 06:19 PM
engstrom
Getting a clue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
There is nothing better than having a new shiny bike, riding with the leaves changing colors and mild temperatures.
Speak for yourself!

I'm sitting here trying not to get too depressed because my personal favorite time of year is over. I love temps that range from 75 - 95 with low (< 40%) humidity. I know I'm pretty from from the norm temperature-wise but when it gets down into the 50s I'll probably have to start hitting the gym because it will be too cold for me to comfortably ride outside.
Old 09-10-10, 07:13 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personally, when looking for a 60cm or larger bike, my chances of finding one in a last years model are pretty slim. Most bikes just don't stock those.

that being said, i am currently looking at a Fuji SST for about 1700 at a local LBS (similar price to PB, but i get to ride it and get a fit)
Old 09-16-10, 08:57 AM
safariofthemind
Life is a fun ride

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the years I've learned the hard way that waiting for a bargain is a mirage. Unless I were a kid fresh out of school and in dire need of transportation, I'd wait to get something that really fit me and if I have to pay a little extra, so be it. Otherwise you'll end up cursing your steed and nursing your rear end, neck and hands. Bikes are cheaper than doctors. That being said, if you can get what you need cheap, now until late Oct is a good time (new inventory for next year showing up, deals on 2010 models) and right between Christmas and New Year's when bike shops are trying to reduce the inventory they have to account for for tax purposes.
Old 09-16-10, 05:54 PM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missingmaine
I was thinking the best time to buy a new bike at the LBS would be after Christmas, but I have heard a few people say that time to buy is Sept/Oct when the new models are arriving. Any thoughts? I am hoping for Dec/Jan so that I can lose a few more lbs before I get a road bike.

THANKS!
Have to agree with you that the best times to buy are before the next years models come out. Another bonus is that sometimes you can get great deals on models that would otherwise be out of your price range. I was looking to pick up a cross bike and purchased an 09 Tricross Comp in Aug 2010, that was close to 40% off. It was still a big expense, but not nearly as bad as paying full MSRP.

I also have to agree with the poster who said the best time to buy is when you're ready to buy. If a new bike gets you out riding more, those lbs may come off before Dec/Jan. Anything in particular that you're lusting after?
Old 09-16-10, 06:38 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The last 3 new bikes I bought were: 33% off list in March '07, 44% off list in May '07 and 45% off list in November '08.
Old 09-16-10, 08:25 PM
jasonball
Auburn Fan

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
our local bike shop is all out of the 10 models and fully stocked with 2011 models. trek and specialized. all the way from $10,000 to the entry level bikes. did the full turn around last week. and just ordered another $200,000 more inventory. He was pretty happy he didn't have to pay all the taxes on all the late model bikes.
Old 09-17-10, 03:04 AM
dlester

Bikes: Trek Portland/Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo/LeMond Versailles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this depends a lot on the particular LBS. The one I frequent, by far the most, does cycling during the common cycling months, and cross country/nordic skiing during the snow months. You can do either year 'round and they will work with you, but if you show up in December trying to buy a bike there won't be much selection because they will have all the skiing equipment on display. The best time to deal with them is in the latter part of the fall, just before they start converting their displays.

In an area that doesn't have a traditional winter, that wouldn't be applicable