Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Show me your Worksman

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Show me your Worksman

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 11:04 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Bholio
I picked this one up a few months ago from craigslist. Looks like it was well treated for years, then lost its dry storage and was left outside for a few months before being sold. Lots of superficial rust, and a solid chain, but no really deep, long-term rust.

It came as pictured, missing the kickstand and front basket and mounts.

Fenders and handlebar cleaned up really well using wet foil. Haven't done anything else with it yet. It has a very heavy rear rim with solid tire. Unrideable. When I finish up some other projects I'll get some normal wheels and fix it up.
Bholio if you want to put that front kickstand back on Worksman will sell you the parts as follows with prices:
1 Part Number 7204 Kickstand fenderstop $12.59
2 Part Number 7230 Kickstand LGB $55.99
3 Part Number 7231L Kickstand spring left $6.79
4 Part Number 7231R Kickstand spring right $6.79
5 Part Number 7232 Bolt and placer for LGB kickstand $6.79 Two of these will be needed.
I got this information of the current Worksman website. I had only one spring originally on my LGB kickstand and that worked for over 20 years. It finally broke and I was able to order both left and right springs which made the stand work even better. If you are missing the two metal extensions that hold the basket they are available as is the basket. LGB's are great errand bicycles.
Old 11-25-20, 11:09 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Originally Posted by Londonsworld
Down to the bones. Hopefully, some penetrating oil will loosen up that stem. If not, time to break out the heating torch.......

Stem is fighting me.....
An industrial site I worked at had a fleet of this style Worksman but with the crowned fork of the late 70's early 80's. These were excellent bicycles and very durable. They had the steel rims with pneumatic tires so they rode well. To bad about losing it but there are more out there. I bought one for my son used from a rental fleet and it has been a stellar performer.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 11-25-20, 11:30 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by base2
https://www.strava.com/activities/1357811304

It's a nice sunny January day, so I figured a 58 mile bike ride was in order.
This pic was taken the day after build.

Wife made me stand next to my creation.

The bike I built, in front of factory this bike lived in, next to the plane I built.

I did use a 23 tooth rear cog, and manage to find a square taper bottom bracket of the proper dimensions. The bottom bracket shell was a really odd 70mm width, so I had to use a 73mm square taper bottom bracket with spacers so it would fit properly. In my pile I had both a 110 square taper and a 118 square taper. But with one the crank arms hit the chain stays and on the other, the chain ring hit the chain guard. A 113mm spindle gave me all the clearances I needed, but things are really close all-round & I didn't appreciate having to buy a thing for my thing considering how much I already spent.

In a bit of frustration I took the chain guard to the belt sander to remove a about 2 millimeters of the roll on the lower edge to buy some room. It worked & at least a few things are out of the parts box and back in service even if they do touch a bit due to flex when you are really reefing on it. I'll keep an eye out at the co-op for a crankset that has wider "Q"

But for now, It works and is as good as new. The chrome is all waxed and shiny, I cruise in gears 4,5,& 6 on the flats, 6&7 going down and 1&2 on hills...So it's nearly optimal. I think it's time to put some miles on it.
Very nice build diary detailing the ins and outs of old American standards bicycles. Then you rode it 58 miles with quite a bit of climbing. You definitely used some calories on that day. Enjoyed reading about your progress. Furthest I've ridden a Worksman is about 25 miles on flat land. It was a one speed and I rode it quite a bit on that loop.
Old 11-27-20, 12:29 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by Mark Sr
Here's a few:

What are the pegs on the front wheel of the first bicycle pictured for? You have a nice collection of Worksman bicycles.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 11-27-20, 12:34 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by dark30
Build them like you like them.... then only you are to blame...

Made in the USA

If you got the news, then you got a Newsboy...

It is really your story.
I love the color. Did you powder coat this bicycle?
Old 11-27-20, 08:12 PM
Alan Bikes
Banned

Bikes: cruiser, bmx,road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I love the color. Did you powder coat this bicycle?
Just Love This BIke
Old 03-20-21, 05:55 AM
Whitecoyote

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts

Likes For Whitecoyote:
Old 03-20-21, 05:58 AM
Whitecoyote

Likes For Whitecoyote:
Old 03-20-21, 06:02 AM
Whitecoyote

Old 03-23-21, 08:45 PM
Simpletommy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked this guy up more than a decade ago with thoughts a dreams that failed to pass the test of life. Great little bike. Currently looking for a new home for it where the owner will actually use it instead of having it collect dust.
Old 03-28-21, 10:22 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by Whitecoyote

As you no doubt know this Worksman frame was set up to accept a gas engine and that is why the down tube is shaped the way it is. I noticed the slight bend in the seat post. Pretty common with these 13/16" or 7/8" seat posts. Our family has a Worksman of each seatpost size. I buy the old BMX chrome moly posts when ever I can find them and they resist bending pretty well. I think the Monark front forks are the best springers out there and they look cool too. Very interesting looking adjustable handlebars. I really like a lot of handlebar adjustment positions. I use quill stems because of their easy adjustability. Small adjustments can mean the difference between pleasure and pain while riding. Good looking bike.
Old 03-28-21, 10:33 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by base2
It's not uncommon due to sloppy manufacturing tolerances. On my wifes bike I slathered up the inside of the head tube with a suitable epoxy similar to JB Weld and very carefully inserted the headset cups with some steel shim stock until all was properly cured.

With due attention to craftsmanship and cleanliness, the shim stock stays set in the frame but the cups themselves will not be bonded and can thus be inserted/removed in the future.

IIRC I think I used a 26.0mm to 25.4mm seatpost shim. I used scissors to cut it in half & then to shape so I had one for each cup.
Base 2 did you ever get the proper headset? Do you still need the inside dimension for Worksman headset cups. I've noticed that there are differences between decades on Worksman bicycles. My Worksman made in the early 1990's uses a 13/16" seatpost. My sons bike from 2010 or so uses a 7/8" seatpost. I've used Porkchop to buy headsets that fit Schwinn Varsity's perfectly. My Worksman is all apart at the moment and I can measure that headset for you if you still need it.
Old 03-28-21, 11:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
Base 2 did you ever get the proper headset? Do you still need the inside dimension for Worksman headset cups. I've noticed that there are differences between decades on Worksman bicycles. My Worksman made in the early 1990's uses a 13/16" seatpost. My sons bike from 2010 or so uses a 7/8" seatpost. I've used Porkchop to buy headsets that fit Schwinn Varsity's perfectly. My Worksman is all apart at the moment and I can measure that headset for you if you still need it.
Thanks for the offer. I did eventually get it sorted. IIRC a Victor Products VP-H755 headset was the solution...I think Wald makes a similar headset but the crown race was questionable at best & fit/finish wasn't nearly as good.

I actually donated the bike to a bike co-op & I think they auctioned it off for an annual fundraiser event. I am now down to 13 bikes, a frameset & a very large spare parts pile in my household. I'm quite glad the charity was able to use it to sustain their operations. Somebody got a really nice bike.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-28-21, 11:49 PM
tallbikeman

I'm glad to hear that you solved your problem. Glad to hear about the charity. I have 5 bicycles and haven't bought or kept a given to me bike in years. Not so with my musical instruments. I do have a problem there. I call it a storage problem. Others may have different opinions. I do have a 6th bicycle at the house but have been accumulating parts for a repair of the bike then down the road for it. I found it with a free sign on the side of the road. Nice cruiser bike with steel frame, V brakes and a 7 speed rear derailleur setup. I'm getting rid of some of my pile of parts to fix the problems with this bike. I can usually break even on repair jobs of this sort as long as the parts are already on hand and the damage to the bike is minimal. " I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over." I like this quote.
Old 04-02-21, 06:35 PM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd love to see a Mover trike. Like a decent one in real world environment not a scrap or old laying around one thats all junked.
Old 04-07-21, 04:37 PM
Dillon914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Super nice bikes