Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike Frame for Touring?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-05-12, 05:02 PM
Raydunham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old Cannondale Killer V 500 mountain bike in excellent condition, no front or rear suspension. I am considering making it a road touring bike. What are the pros and cons? Any advice would be helpful.
Old 03-05-12, 05:14 PM
ijsbrand

Bikes: 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Touring; 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Racer; 1980 Koga Miyata Roadspeed; and aiming for the rest of that year's brochure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need a bike you feel comfortable on, so if it's your own old mountain bike you already know how it handles.

There are no real cons, many people travel on mountain bikes. The bike may miss things specialized touring bikes have, like a front fork with threaded holes to mount a low rider on. But p-clams work as well for this, and you could always buy a new fork, eventually. Same goes for fitting a back carrier.

Pros: 26 inch wheels are strong, tyres for it are readily available all over the world. You already have the bike. Mountain bikes have the low gearing you might need for long climbs on a loaded bike.
Old 03-05-12, 06:06 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I use mine...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-09-12, 05:26 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I am setting up my 1989 KHS Montana Summit as a touring bike.
Old 03-09-12, 07:40 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
I recall seeing a series of eBay ads a few years ago liquidating a fleet of loaner bikes from an "expedition outfitting" company. The bikes were all rigid Killer V series.

I'd say "go for it!" There are tons of examples of people who have a great time touring on whatever they have available. Here's my Schwinn Sierra as another example:

Old 03-09-12, 09:46 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chainstays of at least 44 cm, and preferably 45 cm is necessary to avoid your heel striking your rear pannier.

Anything else, the others have already mentioned.
Old 03-10-12, 12:06 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Many people have successfully used them, or prefer them. The negatives, since you ask are that they aren't designed for it. A touring bike is basically any bike designed for touring. A mountain bike is designed for mountains. There is an area of overlap when your touring takes you to singletrack mountain paths without much need for load carrying. MTBs are also loved as general purpose bikes, and with the right tires or wheels they do a pretty good job of it. For the most part the all purpose thing is the drive-train. We take triples for granted but they came to the consumer market through the MTB.

So in a general way they work, but there is very little overlap, just try designing one. At one point I measured up my 80s MTB, and my touring bike. What surprised me was they had basically the same wheel base. But no two tubes were even similar. Basically the MTB was short in height, in chainstays, and in top tubes, but had a slack steerer. The Touring bike was sorta the reverse. Pretty much opposite.

A lot of touring can be done driving down the road at average speed made good of 10mph. That doesn't take a rocket ship, most any bike has been used for it. My big problem is that my MTB simply isn't comfortable for the kind of hours I spend touring. I think I could get one that would be, but it is supposed to be a nimble climber and downhiller, with a tight turning radius. So there is probably a size missing there. Sorta like trying to tour on a BMX...
Old 03-10-12, 01:11 AM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have a bike that's probably better for touring than anything except a dedicated touring bike. Put some slick tires on it and start riding!
Old 03-10-12, 06:06 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by MassiveD
Many people have successfully used them, or prefer them. The negatives, since you ask are that they aren't designed for it. A touring bike is basically any bike designed for touring. A mountain bike is designed for mountains. There is an area of overlap when your touring takes you to singletrack mountain paths without much need for load carrying. MTBs are also loved as general purpose bikes, and with the right tires or wheels they do a pretty good job of it. For the most part the all purpose thing is the drive-train. We take triples for granted but they came to the consumer market through the MTB.

So in a general way they work, but there is very little overlap, just try designing one. At one point I measured up my 80s MTB, and my touring bike. What surprised me was they had basically the same wheel base. But no two tubes were even similar. Basically the MTB was short in height, in chainstays, and in top tubes, but had a slack steerer. The Touring bike was sorta the reverse. Pretty much opposite.

A lot of touring can be done driving down the road at average speed made good of 10mph. That doesn't take a rocket ship, most any bike has been used for it. My big problem is that my MTB simply isn't comfortable for the kind of hours I spend touring. I think I could get one that would be, but it is supposed to be a nimble climber and downhiller, with a tight turning radius. So there is probably a size missing there. Sorta like trying to tour on a BMX...
You can tour on just about anything...a dedicated tour bike can be nice but isn't necessary.

I have recently done several S24O's on my Raleigh Twenty, I have done 3 day B&B tours on my Raleigh Superbe 3 speed, I did transcontinental on a 1970's Motobecane Nomade, which has a "sport" geometry.

There is a couple touring the world on Brompton Folders, to each their own, Ride on!

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-10-12, 06:31 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have some pretty rough roads and woodland paths I would not want to take any loaded 700c tourer on .
I use an old Nishiki Blazer for those , and it works out well .
It carries loads well and can take the road abuse from potholes and crumbly road edges .
Many of the older hardtail MTBs have long chainstays and cantilever brakes favored by the touring crowd ,
and if you're out somewhere near a smalltown and need a tire ,
you may find a 26" , but probably not a 700c .
Old 03-10-12, 06:33 AM
ijsbrand

Bikes: 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Touring; 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Racer; 1980 Koga Miyata Roadspeed; and aiming for the rest of that year's brochure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a cyclist who'll spend several hours in the saddle for several days comfort comes first. And comfort depends on fit of course. But any cyclist only makes contact with his or her bike on three points: saddle, handlebar, and pedals [for pedants: yes, that makes five points]. What goes on, and how a bike is shaped underneath those three contact points, is basically not that relevant for fit and physical comfort.

But then there is ride comfort as well of course, depending on how the bike behaves. And a specialized touring bike is supposed to behave better than any other kind of bike when it is loaded with luggage. Some touring bikes even seem to need to be loaded with luggage to behave well.

Only, the thing is that you don't know how a bike will behave on a loaded tour, and if you could live with that, until you have tried it on a loaded tour.

I have an expensive steel Koga Randonneur bike, build in the late 1990s, especially for touring with luggage -- be it light touring. And I also have a cheap aluminium cross trainer, that's nothing more than a mountain bike without suspension and 28 inch wheels. Yet, the cheap bike behaves a lot better with luggage; even with cheap aluminium luggage carriers instead of more sturdy steel ones.
Old 03-10-12, 07:02 AM
drrobwave

Bikes: Miyata Team Carbon 1993. 1988 Dave Scott Ironman expert, 1994 Bridgestone X0-3, & Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea of the mt bike tourer, I can tell you I tried it a few years ago and the 29er I was riding kept me in too upright of a position and my butt killed me being in the saddle for hours. So make sure you can set up the bike to keep a good balance between those 3 (5) contact points.
Old 03-10-12, 08:31 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Tour Bikes: All of these have been used for tours, my typical daily mileage is around 45 miles, all of these bikes have seen at least one 50 mile day.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-10-12, 08:38 AM
brentirvine

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 2100, Cannondale F1000SL, Dahon Speed TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my Cannondale CAAD4 frame for touring. Added racks, fenders, and an old Scott AT4 bar. The headshock softens the road, the stout frame takes the rough roads of Cuba. But, I can also swap out the tires to a 1" slick if I'm touring NA or Europe.

B
Old 03-10-12, 08:49 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
You can tour on just about anything...a dedicated tour bike can be nice but isn't necessary.

I have recently done several S24O's on my Raleigh Twenty, I have done 3 day B&B tours on my Raleigh Superbe 3 speed, I did transcontinental on a 1970's Motobecane Nomade, which has a "sport" geometry.

There is a couple touring the world on Brompton Folders, to each their own, Ride on!
In about 10 years, Russ and Laura will probably be one of the most famous bike touring couples in the world. I'm just amazed they chose small Brompton folding bikes to tour all over the world. The bikes are under geared by all touring standards with only six gears, yet they somehow manage to climb steep mountains. Go Figure.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 03-10-12 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-10-12, 08:50 AM
keenancook

Bikes: 2000 Specialized FSR, 2008 Cannondale T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to keep the consensus going, I'll jump on and say go for it too - that's a good frame, and 26" wheels are far more common outside of North America and Europe so if you end up touring through South America you're in much better shape. As long as you've got enough heel clearance, you should be good to go. Find a comfortable saddle and hit the road.
Old 03-10-12, 10:40 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
In about 10 years, Russ and Laura will probably be one of the most famous bike touring couples in the world. I'm just amazed they chose small Brompton folding bikes to tour all over the world. The bikes are under geared by all touring standards with only six gears, yet they somehow manage to climb steep mountains. Go Figure.
Two of mine are three speeds though the Superbe is getting an upgrade to a 4 speed shortly. I have no qualms about getting off and walking if the road is too steep to comfortably pedal up.

Then you have people like Heinz Stücke or Joff Summerfield, to me touring is a state of mind, rather than the equipment being used.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-11-12, 09:37 AM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Go for it! Mtb's with no suspension make great touring bikes.

1998 Specialized Hard Rock
Old 03-11-12, 12:10 PM
john426

Bikes: Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Ray:

I converted an old Diamondback mountain bike and it is an excellent tourer. The best part is your present cycle has no suspension systems. This makes adding things like fenders and racks much easier. Most older mountain bike are a cheap way to get a touring cycle. Welcome to the club!
Old 03-11-12, 03:50 PM
damo010

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

i'm planning to use my MTB hybrid conversion for touring, its a rockhopper frame with rigid forks and 29er wheels fitter with 700 x 35 tires, can fit up to 700x40 if needed because it has bridge less seat and chain stays.

can fit a rear rack, frame bag and bar bag then fir extra water bottle cages to the forks.
here is a photo of it in its day to day ride to work form.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1152865...58152381955362
the advantage of this this set up is that it can be put back to a 26" wheel or suspension forks with no ill effects if needed. also the MTB frames are built strong too with out giving away too much weight.
Old 03-13-12, 08:52 PM
Raydunham

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and support.

Ray
Old 03-13-12, 10:11 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raydunham
I have an old Cannondale Killer V 500 mountain bike in excellent condition, no front or rear suspension. I am considering making it a road touring bike. What are the pros and cons? Any advice would be helpful.
I tour on an old mountain bike and I love it. The caveat is with my '88 Timberline it has long chain stays, it's pretty close to the geometry of a modern touring bike.

Somewhere around here we've got a picture thread on converted MTB's...

EDIT: here you go!
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...MTB-conversion

Last edited by Medic Zero; 03-13-12 at 10:25 PM.