Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Good Touring Breakfasts?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Good Touring Breakfasts?

Old 06-27-12, 09:37 PM
keenancook

Bikes: 2000 Specialized FSR, 2008 Cannondale T1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems I've been missing out on Pop tarts and Coyote steaks. Both might be worth a try on my next unsupported tour... I was actually thinking the same thing with raccoon steaks. I'd imagine they'd be tasty after they spend the night eating my baked goods...
Old 06-30-12, 07:12 PM
gamecock

Bikes: Rivendell--Sam Hilleborne, the only one I need.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wile I'm packing, and the coffee is steeping, oatmeal can be cooking, quick, not instant, with some dried fruit. I have had little luck picking up bagels, buns or anything else worth eating on the rural roads I use. I then hit the first food I can find, and eat whatever looks safe. Failing that, I eat a Clif Bar about an hour after starting.
Old 07-01-12, 05:25 AM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I eat whatever I ate for supper the night before for breakfast plus some fruit and usually left flat Coke for the sugar. Todays breakfast was Butter Chicken, tomorrows breakfast is Thai Lemongrass pork on a salad with footlong loaf of garlic bread. Plus cookies, usually chocolate chip or Tim Tams.

This gets me going for the first 30 km or until I can get myself a good coffee and cake. Which holds me off till lunch.

No wonder I never leave town till past 1 pm. Need to eat!
Old 07-01-12, 09:26 AM
keenancook

Bikes: 2000 Specialized FSR, 2008 Cannondale T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyGA
Todays breakfast was Butter Chicken, tomorrows breakfast is Thai Lemongrass pork on a salad with footlong loaf of garlic bread.
Are you cooking this food, or eating out, because that sounds awesome!
Old 07-01-12, 06:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by keenancook
I'm just wondering - what does everybody do for breakfast when touring? If I'm doing a longer tour and have a camp stove, it's almost always instant oatmeal. And if I'm just doing a light tour without cooking equipment, it's bagels/baked stuff picked up the day before, and maybe some fruit. Is there some sort of great breakfast idea that other people have that I've missed out on? What do you eat for breakfast on tour?
Oatmeal bars and coffee. I don't want to wash dishes in the morning.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-01-12, 08:36 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1 .. I also get to take a sponge-bath in the WC , to tidy up.
which does help much after making a wild camp site the night before..
Add me to the list of the ones who find the first good diner and order a cooked breakfast whenever possible.

I am stealth camping 90% of the time. Morning is usually not a good time for hanging around the kind of campsite that works well because no one can see you as long as it's dark. (Think the local cemetary.) What I save on campground fees I figure I can invest in a good first meal of the day. (Besides it's a good place for a wash-up as fietsbob says).

Lunch is usually fruit and nuts and fig bars, etc. Supper I can take the time to cook. It's usually my best excuse for hanging around that picnic table that's on the side of the road with the "no camping" sign nearby. Once the light is gone up goes my hammock between two appropriately spaced trees.
Old 07-02-12, 06:57 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
We always begin with oatmeal and coffee. Add fruit if we have it. I find that I eat much healthier on tour than I do at home. Go figure.
Old 07-02-12, 07:19 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Bannock from last night with PB and honey with coffee.
Old 07-05-12, 08:01 PM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first thing I do is get water boiling with the GSI Halulite Ketalist. Most times it's coffee and instant oatmeal, like many others, and/or granola bar or homemade granola. Since I mix the hot water in the oatmeal packet all I have to clean up is the coffee cup and a spork. A drop of campsuds and hot water on a paper towel then a rince takes care of that. Then later on I stop at a convenience store or cafe if available, and eat something more substantial.
Old 07-05-12, 08:13 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Toasted muesli and yoghurt, coffee.

Initially we ate porridge but it takes too long, uses too gas to prepare and is difficult to clean the pot without heating some more water. Also, you can't have a coffee until the pot is cleaned.
Old 07-06-12, 08:40 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Any of instant oatmeal, bars, cheese, dried or fresh fruits, small can of fruit salad, nuts, bread and peanut and/or nutella, hot chocolate. I've also had soup on cold autumn mornings. I'm also a fan of a small breakfast in camp followed by a second breakfast in a restaurant.
Old 07-06-12, 11:34 AM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
We found that we need to keep breakfast light first thing in the morning. Usually just oatmeal and some coffee or tea. Then we get on the road and maybe have second breakfast mid-morning.

We learned this on a tour a few years back. We went to a breakfast place first thing and just split an omelet. Not a lot of food. We only had a 20 mile flattish day to ride but we were both feeling bloated and uncomfortable the whole ride. No more big meals for breakfast for us!
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 07-06-12, 02:30 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve0000
Toasted muesli and yoghurt, coffee.

Initially we ate porridge but it takes too long, uses too gas to prepare and is difficult to clean the pot without heating some more water. Also, you can't have a coffee until the pot is cleaned.
Agreed, although pots use to cook starchy cereals are best cleaned up with cold water.
Old 07-07-12, 08:04 AM
GetUpnGo

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
As Doconabike mentioned, it's not necessary to cook oatmeal. Uncooked oats taste great. They have a slightly sweet taste. Get the healthy kind---"slow cooked"---and add fruit, chopped almonds, and yogurt for a long-lasting breakfast.
Old 07-07-12, 02:24 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I am curious, do you raw oat eaters eat steel cut oats or rolled oats?

I do like to eat the Nature Valley Oats N Honey bars.
Old 07-07-12, 03:43 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I've tried recently peanut butter with granola. I figured this out at the end of my last tour as a way to use up stuff and because I was particularly lazy that morning. I figure oats/museli would also work.
Old 07-07-12, 07:12 PM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
I've tried recently peanut butter with granola. I figured this out at the end of my last tour as a way to use up stuff and because I was particularly lazy that morning. I figure oats/museli would also work.
Right adventurepdx, peanut butter is good with granola. One of the recipes I've used for granola bars has a cup of peanut butter in it, the best batch I've made. Nuttin' wrong with peanut butter with breakfast, or any other meal, to me.
Old 07-07-12, 08:08 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freshly brewed coffee and oatmeal that's been cooking on the thermos overnight. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, because I've learned the trick right here.
Make oatmeal at night, put in wide mouth thermos, add raisins and keep in the bottom of sleeping bag. In the morning add some maple syrup and nuts and it's ready. Have to admit that it's not really hot anymore, just warm, but add a splash of water that's boiling for coffee and voila! Breakfast is served!
I use a mix of rolled oats and other whole grains and add some flax or chia seeds, no instant oatmeal for me

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am curious, do you raw oat eaters eat steel cut oats or rolled oats?

I do like to eat the Nature Valley Oats N Honey bars.
I think steel cut oats need a lot more cooking time that you'd want to do on a camping stove. Rolled oats are great.
And not sure if you care, but Nature Valley bars and not as natural as they want you to believe, and they are full of high fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners.
Old 07-08-12, 06:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
I think steel cut oats need a lot more cooking time that you'd want to do on a camping stove. Rolled oats are great.
Agreed, but I was asking about those who said they ate them uncooked. Me I am fine with instant. Thermos oatmeal is really good, but these days I am a bit too much of a gram counter to carry one.

Originally Posted by lucille
And not sure if you care, but Nature Valley bars and not as natural as they want you to believe, and they are full of high fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners.
True, but no I don't really care about that when on tour.
Old 07-08-12, 09:52 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Here in Japan, we've been shopping for dinner sometime in mid-to-late afternoon, and we pick up cakes of some kind for breakfast.
Old 07-08-12, 10:15 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I carry large flake oats and just pick up tetra packs of (soy) milk for a kind of lo-fi museli. Any of the usual fixings one might have for snacking make good additions: raisins, seeds, nuts, dried or fresh fruit. I don't mind drinking cold instant coffee so I did last year when I was riding with someone I met. I also tried making cold brew coffee by soaking grinds overnight and it was alright but I'd want to perfect the recipe before I go next time.
Old 07-08-12, 08:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
In this part of Japan, you can get hot and cold coffee out of vending machines, and there seem to be vending machines everywhere. It was quite a pleasant surprise to discover hot black canned coffee.