Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus Question

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-06-15, 07:05 AM
jumpin jack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello!

I recently purchased a Crosstrail Sport Disc. I do enjoy but the few rides I have been on I feel like I will be on the pavement a larger majority than I had thought. It seems the worst I will be on is some broken, loose gravel. Even when I am on the gravel, I do not spend a great deal of time there. It is basically just a cut through road to get to another section of pavement. I believe I have 30 days to take it back and want to make sure I am making the right decision.

I have been looking at the Sirrus Elite Disc and Sport Disc. How will these do in loose gravel? I would estimate that I will be spending 75-80% of my time on pavement. Would I regret going with a Sirrus in this case? I have probably unlocked the suspension on the Crosstrail only 3 or 4 times over the course of 70 miles or so I have put on it.

Thanks for any input and advice.
Old 07-06-15, 07:17 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
If the gravel is firm, no problem for the Sirrus, but it does not like really loose gravel or sand.

Buyers remorse? Both are nice bikes, and different tires can transform that Crosstrail.

My opinion, and I have both, is that a Crosstrail is a great do it all bike, excells at comfort and utility work, while still liking to go fast. The Sirrus is easy to go fast on, very maneuverable, and comfortable not at the Crosstrail level. You can not put very wide tires on the Sirrus.

Sooooo, the Crosstrail is a fast , comfortable , workhorse. The Sirrus is easier to go fast, and not as adaptable.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-06-15 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 08:06 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 147 Posts
Both are fine bikes.

FWIW, I've been riding a 2010 Sirrus Comp for going on six years now. My riding with this bike is mainly paved surface, but I do ride a fair amount of gravel and hard-packed dirt road/path with it as well with absolutely no problem. Its only limitation is max. tire width: mine is a more road-focussed version and will only take up to a 32 tire. But as I said, no problem.

That limitation does not apply to the 2015 Sirrus; the current ones will easily take a 35 tire, I believe, so more possibilities there, and tires (width etc), not suspension, are the key factor in riding a bike on gravel/dirt. You won't be able to put the very wide tires on that you could with a Crosstrail, but then again if you are 75+% on paved surfaces you are not likely to want to.

So, if you really are thinking you are going to be 75+% on pavement, might be worth thinking about the change. Finally, again just my view, if you do consider changing, seriously consider the Elite Disc rather than Sport. Different -- and better -- frame, and carbon fork. Both save a lot of weight; the latter will be more resiliant/comfortable on rougher surfaces than the straight-blade aluminum fork on the Sport.
Old 07-06-15, 09:52 AM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jumpin jack View Post
How will these do in loose gravel?
There is not a bike that you'd be comfortable with on loose gravel short of a MTB with fat tires.

For the Crosstrail and Sirrus line, most of the difference is in the tire, tire brands can be much different. For example. my 38 schwables marathons inspire much more confidence on loose stones than the OEM 38 Specialized tires did.

IMHO, I don't think you will see much difference on loose gravel, they both will be tricky, the narrow tires will be more effort. But marginal stuff like just dirt or crushed stones perhaps on a bumpy surface, the Crosstrail will be more controllable. If one is careful and go slow on the slippery stuff, anything short of slicks will work well enough to get by.

Perhaps you can rent a sirrus or equivalent for a day and try it out.
Old 07-06-15, 11:32 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There is not a bike that you'd be comfortable with on loose gravel short of a MTB with fat tires.

For the Crosstrail and Sirrus line, most of the difference is in the tire, tire brands can be much different. For example. my 38 schwables marathons inspire much more confidence on loose stones than the OEM 38 Specialized tires did.

IMHO, I don't think you will see much difference on loose gravel, they both will be tricky, the narrow tires will be more effort. But marginal stuff like just dirt or crushed stones perhaps on a bumpy surface, the Crosstrail will be more controllable. If one is careful and go slow on the slippery stuff, anything short of slicks will work well enough to get by.

Perhaps you can rent a sirrus or equivalent for a day and try it out.
Which Marathon's are you running ( there a lot of different ones on their web site)?
Old 07-06-15, 01:52 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1 View Post
Which Marathon's are you running ( there a lot of different ones on their web site)?
Sorry, I meant to type Almotion but typed Marathon instead. The OEM Specialized are a good tire, just on loose stones I found them shooting them off in every direction with that disconcerting pop.
Old 07-06-15, 03:07 PM
jumpin jack

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't want it to sound like I do not like the Crosstrail, Inthink it is great on the few rides I have been on it. I just want to make sure it is right for me. I will keep doing some research but will probably just end up keeping it. I don't think I will pick up a whole lot of speed from the Sirrus and probably miss the comfort. I did 35 hilly, muddy and gravel roads Saturday....I wouldn't be able to do some of the roads on the Sirrus or as easy I should say. Maybe some thinner tires in the future and I could always get a rigid fork for it if I completely get away from gravel and mud.
Old 07-07-15, 11:05 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jumpin jack View Post
I don't want it to sound like I do not like the Crosstrail, Inthink it is great on the few rides I have been on it. I just want to make sure it is right for me. I will keep doing some research but will probably just end up keeping it. I don't think I will pick up a whole lot of speed from the Sirrus and probably miss the comfort. I did 35 hilly, muddy and gravel roads Saturday....I wouldn't be able to do some of the roads on the Sirrus or as easy I should say. Maybe some thinner tires in the future and I could always get a rigid fork for it if I completely get away from gravel and mud.
I have been struggling with the same decision as you..Crosstrail versus Sirrus. Most of the time I think the Sirrus would be the best bike for me. However, then I have a day like yesterday when I ran into some mud and water puddles and really bumpy sections on a hard packed trail that make me appreciate my 2 inch wide tires on my current bike!
Old 07-07-15, 02:04 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
My Crosstrail Sport came with 45mm semi knobbies (knobs on the side). I have since added fenders and Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires. 35mm in the front, and 40mm on the back. The 40 rides as nice as the 45, and rolls much better. The 35 on the front quickened the steering, and made it much more maneuverable, without sacrificing ride. It also rolls much better.

Also, flats are a thing of the past with the Supremes, and they offer excellent traction wet or dry. They do not like snow or ice AT ALL! It still goes almost anywhere I want to go - grass, packed gravel, packed dirt, etc.

My Crosstrail is a very comfortable workhorse/utility bike (rack, fenders, panniers, tail trunk, etc)- and it still likes to go fast...... and it will climb a tree if I can get traction....

If I could only have one, I'd keep the Crosstrail, and sell the Sirrus. But, the Sirrus is fun to go fast on - it's just not a great do it all bike.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-07-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-07-15, 07:19 PM
jumpin jack

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
After a lot more research, reading and your input, I have decided I am happy with themCrosstrail and do not want to take it back. I was riding with my daughter (6) last night around the area and was enjoying going slow with her then went and did some rougher off road stuff right after that.

I do think I will look at some smoother/more pavement friendly tires. Not sure how small I should go? Should I just be looking at 700's in 28,32 or 35mm range?