Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rotating tires

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rotating tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 06:18 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Rotating tires

It is said that rear tires wear out 3 times as fast as front. It would therefore appear to be a good idea to start
a longish tour on a fresh set and to rotate tires halfway or so in order to increase the likelihood that you can avoid replacing tires on tour.

You do that?

---

We plan to ride 4000 kms this summer (EV6) on schwalbe marathon. Would be great if we could avoid replacing tires under way.
Old 03-20-16, 06:33 AM
mrFreel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think rotating the tires and thoroughly inspecting them at the time is a great idea. I do it on all of my bikes.
Mike
Old 03-20-16, 06:34 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I'm not a believer in rotating tires, but it might make sense in your situation.

One consideration might be that the wear pattern of rear tires is different than front, and it can affect handling. So if you're going to rotate, do so early on, say at 1,500km.

Depending on where you're traveling, you might consider staging a replacement tire someplace along the way. Or, as I did when traveling where I might not find spares, arrange with somebody to be available to buy and ship emergency items to you en route.

Also, 4000kms isn't beyond the predicted service life of a rear tire. I ride tubulars and have gone much farther on my rears.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-20-16 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 09:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I always want my best tire on the front. When the rear wears out, the front goes to the back and the new one goes on the front.

If you are going on a tour that is long enough to completely wear out a rear tire, buy a new one when you need one. Or if you carried a spare, put the spare on and keep your old worn out one as a spare.
Old 03-20-16, 09:35 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Carry a folding spare tire.

Old 03-20-16, 02:53 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by FBinNY
4000kms isn't beyond the predicted service life of a rear tire.
Schwalbe estimates that the Marathon Supreme will last 5-9 000 kms. Not clear if they refer to the front or rear tire. If they mean average, then a conservative estimate might be that a rear tire will last 3 000 kms while a front will last 9 000 kms. Rotating at 2 000 kms would result in an expected minimum life of close to 4 500 kms (4,3k for the rear and 5k for the front), which would be enough in our case.

(We'll be carrying one spare and should be able to find more under way if needed.)
Old 03-20-16, 03:08 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're carrying a spare anyway, i'd do as Touist in MSN suggests. Ride until the rear needs replacing, then switch front to rear and put the new one on the front. Always a good idea to have your newest tyre up front.
Old 03-20-16, 03:27 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I always want my best tire on the front. When the rear wears out, the front goes to the back and the new one goes on the front.
+1 The more worn tire is more likely to blow-out so keep the best up front. The fact that the rear wears faster means don't rotate.
Old 03-20-16, 04:05 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I rotate. The rear on a tourer tends to get flat in the middle, the front wears more rounded. Rotating evens this out a bit more, so over-all you'll get more life out of your tyres. The trick is to not let the back get too flat in the middle before you move it, otherwise the steering gets a little squirrel-ly as you transition from the flat spot to the edge of the tyre.
Old 03-20-16, 04:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
If you're carrying a spare anyway, ...... Ride until the rear needs replacing, then switch front to rear and put the new one on the front. Always a good idea to have your newest tyre up front.
+1, If tires are available en route, either as a carried spare or bought, then when the rear is shot, toss it and replace. I don't bother rotating, and would probably just put the new on in the back, but it's OK to rotate the front tire back if you prefer. OTOH - (IMO) it's not OK to move a rear tire up because of it's wear pattern.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-20-16, 05:18 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
If tires are available on route I wouldn't rotate. Replace rear when necessary, then when that one's worn, replace both.
If not then I'd carry a spare (or three)...

tl:dr I don't rotate
Old 03-20-16, 06:36 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Never rotated. If I did it was purely accidental from grabbing a used one because the one on the bike had a blown sidewall. I'm more inclined to put a heavier tire on the rear if the bike has a heavy rear load since it's more likely to suffer flats and sidewall damage than the front. I don't see the need to have the same tire if the loads are substantially different.
Old 03-20-16, 08:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I have never rotated I tire either and only would do it in a major emergency but I cannot think of an incident that would require me to rotate. I would rather go with a high quality tire and replace it when needed rather than rotating it. If I got a major hole on tour and didn't have a spare I would boot it till I could source another tire hopefully of similar quality or buy two cheap folding beads and carry that extra one just in case.
Old 03-20-16, 09:31 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I like to rotate only once around 25-35% on two new tires installed at same time. If I am using same brand same size to replace one, I have put a new single on the front and move used front to the rear. In general, I keep the best tire up front.
Old 03-20-16, 09:49 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
^This.
BTW I once did an experiment by putting a new tire on the rear, and the result was a single front tire lasted two rear tires. So the wear ratio was more like 2:1 rather than 3:1.
Old 03-20-16, 11:08 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My folding tire is not suitable for the mix. I couldn't find a really good one, so I have a decent one that is fine for the purpose, but not something I want to ride for ever.

If it is true rear tires wear flat, and front tires wear round, then maybe trying to even them out is not the way to go. Maybe in a perfect world they would make them with different transverse shapes and designs to start with. And maybe in practice the best you can do with that is to run a slightly wider tire in back. I think Heine now has us up to 42 mm tires as being optimal in rolling resistance, assuming you buy them from him, or someone else who executed on his memo.
Old 03-20-16, 11:39 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Rotating tires risks damaging a tube so I never did that IIRC. Fresh Marathons should do 4K km easy I think. Rode a pair for a year & they barely looked used.
Old 03-21-16, 06:23 AM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheldon Brown on Tire Rotation
Old 03-21-16, 06:51 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Don't forget we're talking touring tyres here, not super light racing slicks. The front tyre does a lot of work too, especially with braking, which actually puts way more peak force on the casing than the rear ever has to deal with. It's just that when braking occurs the weight is transferred to the front compressing the tyre and spreading the wear over a larger area (so no flat spot in the middle), and it's the sidewalls that do all that work. A half worn Marathon or similar touring from the rear is not a dangerous tyre, if you think it is I suggest you should start replacing your front when it gets half worn too, because to get to that stage it's had to do a lot more work than a half worn rear tyre.
Old 03-21-16, 07:55 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by mm718
Sheldon Brown on Tire Rotation
Read it before posting. This is probably where I got the 3:1 wear ratio.

While I perfectly respect the idea that the front tire is more critical than the rear, I am not sure that I buy the logic of his do-not-rotate argument. For example, replacing tires when they are worn (whatever it might be) would mean that you may ride on a pretty worn front tire for a long while. His Tires and Tubes entry suggests that you should replace a tire if you get frequent flats or when the tire's fabric has been damaged, states that I personally would not tolerate on a front tire anyway (and probably not on a rear tire either).

As this point, I am inclined to think that rotation is a non issue for commuters (tires are replaced when they need to be), tourers on fairly short tour (say 1 000 kms or less) where (good) tires are unlikely to need replacement, or on very long tour where even the best tires will have to be replaced anyway. I still think that on longish tours that approach the expected longevity of a tire, one is likely to end up with pretty worn rear tires but still very good front tires. Therefore, it might make sense to rotate tires at 1/3rd of the distance. Rotation practically guarantees that no spare tire will be needed on tour, and rotating early should give you plenty of tire life on the front wheel.

I'd like to add that this is not something interfering with our sleep patterns -- 26" tires are available practically everywhere. But I'd rather watch the birds rather than hunt that elusive bike shop (or carry a truckload of spares).
Old 03-21-16, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ditto...

Place new tire on the front , then move current front to the rear , to finish wearing the tread out .

The last thing you want is a front tire failure.. that is why the new one goes on the front.
Old 03-21-16, 09:41 AM
mm718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Read it before posting. This is probably where I got the 3 to 1 wear ratio.

While I perfectly respect the idea that the front tire is more critical than the rear, I am not sure that I buy the logic of his do-not-rotate argument. For example, replacing tires when they are worn (whatever it might be) would mean that you may ride on a pretty worn front tire for a long while. His Tires and Tubes entry suggests that you should replace a tire if you get frequent flats or when the tire's fabric has been damaged, states that I personally would not tolerate on a front tire anyway (and probably not on a rear tire either).

As this point, I am inclined to think that rotation is a non issue for commuters (tires are replaced when they need to be), tourers on fairly short tour (say 1 000 kms or less) where (good) tires are unlikely to need replacement, or on very long tour where even the best tires will have to be replaced anyway. I still think that on longish tours that approach the expected longevity of a tire, one is likely to end up with pretty worn rear tires but still very good front tires. Therefore, it might make sense to rotate tires at 1/3rd of the distance. Rotation practically guarantees that no spare tire will be needed on tour, and rotating early should give you plenty of tire life on the front wheel.

I'd like to add that this is not something interfering with our sleep patterns -- 26" tires are available practically everywhere. But I'd rather watch the birds rather than hunt that elusive bike shop (or carry a truckload of spares).
I did read it before posting. He said "as much as" 3 to 1. Seems like a pretty minor point to me whether it's 2.25 to 1 or 3 to 1. You're welcome for the link
Old 03-21-16, 09:57 AM
gauvins

I did read it before posting.
sorry if I came across as being rude ... I meant *I* had read it.
Old 03-21-16, 10:08 AM
mm718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
sorry if I came across as being rude ... I meant *I* had read it.
Oops. Sorry I misunderstood. No problem...

You wrote:

I am not sure that I buy the logic of his do-not-rotate argument. For example, replacing tires when they are worn (whatever it might be) would mean that you may ride on a pretty worn front tire for a long while.
Did you see the Sheldon does advocate rotating the front tire to the back while putting the new tire on the front?
Old 03-21-16, 10:35 AM
gauvins

Did you see the Sheldon does advocate rotating the front tire to the back while putting the new tire on the front?
Yes yes. And it makes perfect sense in most cases (commuting/week-end rides etc.)

But I am motivated by the special/unusual case of a 4 000 kms tour across Europe. As there are 4 of us, carrying spare tires isn't trivial. Kids won't carry luggage so we expect their tires to last the whole trip. Will be different for my wife and I. As I wrote earlier in this thread, the expected life of Schwalbe's Marathon supposedly lies somewhere in the 3-9 000 kms range. That could mean that we'll burn through our rear tires while having thousands of kms left on our front tires. I will very probably rotate tires on my wife's and my bike, expecting that we'll be able to ride the whole course on a single set of tires. I'll carry a spare and we'll buy under way if we have to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.