Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I saw someone on a unicycle today

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I saw someone on a unicycle today

Old 12-12-16, 10:04 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by morgothaod
He had no facial hair and no helmet. I saw another guy today on what basically was an electric unicycle. He just stood up and was able to move around. He had no helmet on as well.
I saw a dude that rides one of those too, I was parked up replying to a txt and got to take a video of it. He was obviously on his way to work in the industrial area I was in. Ballsy I thought given the trucks in the area. Of course I took off in hot pursuit. At a guess I'd say he was doing 10 km/h

Old 12-12-16, 10:21 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
The person on the unicycle really loses its luster once you've seen someone on a penny farthing on the rail trail!
Heh, yeah...unicycle...no big deal- I rode one when I was a kid. Penny farthing...now THAT would be a sight! (I wish you guys would stop with all of these unicycle threads- every time i see such a thread, I get the yen to get one!)
Old 12-13-16, 06:01 AM
FlatFender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slash5
Wait till you see one on a tough mountain bike trail. Blows your mind.
Sunday afternoon. Lake Crab tree county park in Raleigh. Wife and I stopped for a break and the dude just rolled right on by. It was amazing.
Old 12-13-16, 09:39 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Penny farthing...now THAT would be a sight!
There are a few by me, actually! Only time I bother using the B&W filters on Instagram is when I see them! One runs around the rail trail by me too, but I am never quick enough to get the phone out to snap a pic.

Old 12-13-16, 09:57 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
There are a few by me, actually! Only time I bother using the B&W filters on Instagram is when I see them! One runs around the rail trail by me too, but I am never quick enough to get the phone out to snap a pic.
That is AMAZING! I've never seen one myself in the wild. (Knowing me, if someone rode by on one, I'd just have to say something like : "Darn hipsters on their fixies!" )

Thanks for posting the awesome pics!
Old 12-13-16, 06:04 PM
rubiconazoid
post tenebras lux

Bikes: Trek 720, Centurion Accordo, Gary Fisher Mamba

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hats off to anyone riding those things!!
Old 12-14-16, 11:05 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I read the Wikipedia article on the Penny-Farthings, and they were/are actually quite dangerous for flipping your forward and landing on your face. Apparently a lot of people died riding those things when they couldn't get stopped and flipped forward. Some riders took to putting their legs over the handlebars when going down a hill so they'd be ready to land on their feet. The main issue with the design is that you're basically sitting very nearly directly over the front axle with a high center of gravity.
Old 12-14-16, 04:30 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I read the Wikipedia article on the Penny-Farthings, and they were/are actually quite dangerous for flipping your forward and landing on your face. Apparently a lot of people died riding those things when they couldn't get stopped and flipped forward. Some riders took to putting their legs over the handlebars when going down a hill so they'd be ready to land on their feet. The main issue with the design is that you're basically sitting very nearly directly over the front axle with a high center of gravity.
Now we know why when the "regular" style bike was invented, it was called the "safety bicycle". Those Penny Farthings are as cool as all get-out, but I couldn't even imagine riding one! Imagine having to dismount from the rear every time you stop?!
Old 12-18-16, 05:02 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
There used to be a Unicycling subforum here many eons ago. There's even a thing called "Mountain Unicycling" - imagine that!

That is all.
Old 12-18-16, 07:27 AM
Arizona Nights

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now we know why when the "regular" style bike was invented, it was called the "safety bicycle". Those Penny Farthings are as cool as all get-out, but I couldn't even imagine riding one! Imagine having to dismount from the rear every time you stop?!
Which is interesting because penny-farthings were called "ordinary" when comparing to the "safety". Nothing ordinary about those things.

Those Penny Farthings are as cool as all get-out, but I couldn't even imagine riding one! Imagine having to dismount from the rear every time you stop?!
Can't imagine stopping, or going up a hill, or down a hill, or over a pothole. AND not wearing a helmet.
Old 12-18-16, 10:17 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
There used to be a Unicycling subforum here many eons ago. There's even a thing called "Mountain Unicycling" - imagine that!
I think that my cousin and I were the originators/pioneers of mountain-unicycling! (When I was 13, he and I got unicycles. Used to ride them on dirt paths....errr I mean "trails" (yeah, trails!) in the woods- in 1975. )

Originally Posted by Arizona Nights
Which is interesting because penny-farthings were called "ordinary" when comparing to the "safety". Nothing ordinary about those things.

Can't imagine stopping, or going up a hill, or down a hill, or over a pothole. AND not wearing a helmet.
Imagine if they had had bike forums back then? Somebody would be saying "It ain't a REAL bike unless it has a big wheel! Darn contraptions with chains and freewheels are for sissies!". Someone else would say "You darn hipsters on your fixies! At least have a brake!".

Imagine getting your kid a bike when only Penny Farthings existed? "Tomorrow we'll take the training wheels off, Son!" [Next day: Kid goes through the garage door and ends up mangled]. They could have charities, like Bikes For Your Enemy's Kids".....
Old 12-20-16, 03:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Why did they make those penny farthings so dang tall? I know it's a bit more efficient to have a larger wheel but in the interest of convenience & safety I think I'd rather ride one which isn't so dang tall.

Oh and in regards to unicycles, I think I read or heard somewhere that the taller the unicycle, the easier it is to balance. Which makes sense because it's easier to balance something that's fairly long on your hand than it is to balance something which is a lot shorter.
Old 12-20-16, 04:18 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The tall ones probably are easier to balance, but only after you get on them. I saw one performer that more or less ran up the side of a tall unicycle till he got to the saddle, but he was a rare bird, indeed.
Old 12-21-16, 12:04 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Why did they make those penny farthings so dang tall? I know it's a bit more efficient to have a larger wheel but in the interest of convenience & safety I think I'd rather ride one which isn't so dang tall.

They didn't have gears (i.e. not even a single chainring and cog) so the virtual "gear ratio" was determined by the size of the wheel. Smaller wheel would give you a lower ratio, and a lower overall maximum speed. It really makes ya appreciate how much of a leap there was in the short space between the invention of the Farthing and the safety bicycle.
Old 12-22-16, 01:43 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Farthing

I wasn't going to say anything, until the penny farthing got mentioned. Been looking for a unicycle off/on for a few months until I found an adult pogo stick. It was fun for a while, but certainly not as practical as you would hope for a trip down to the corner package store. It's hanging on a hook right now and still no unicycle. In any case, my interests shifted. I looked to penny farthings. Worksman Cycles sells them new here: Antique High Wheel Bikes from Worksman Cycles

If I pull the trigger on bike number 6 (7?), my wife'll hurt me real bad, but maybe a Worksman might pique someones interest? It's like a unicycle with a training wheel!

Car dependency is a tax.