Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Tires for Carson Velodrome

Old 03-16-18, 03:22 PM
patrickfetzer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires for Carson Velodrome

What is a popular tire for the ADT wood track in Carson?
Old 03-16-18, 03:49 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
On boards, anything rubber will do, just stay away from coloured rubber with silicon that kills the grip factor. Here in Oz, everyone trains on cheap rubber clinchers of personal choice.

For racing, the ultra smooth surface allows for super high pressures and light tyre choices. Coninental and Vittoria are very popular brands. Go with what you can find and what you like
Old 03-16-18, 04:46 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride Vittorias at Carson and like them very much. My other wheels have Tempos on them for when I ride at Encino or San Diego. Of course, IMHO, you can also ride clinchers on those tracks because you need something that stands up to abrasion well, and that can be run at a lower pressure to keep from bouncing around too much.
Old 03-16-18, 06:24 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
The Vittoria Pista Evo CS is popular. I've raced Continental Steher (good), Tempo (very good), and Sonderklassen (great) at ADT.
Old 03-16-18, 07:22 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I personally found Stehers to be very slippery at ADT.
Old 03-17-18, 05:59 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Huh. I didn't. but it's been a while, and I also know that Conti tinkers with their tires' formula/construction a lot.

I wouldn't say they're optimal for ADT, but I had them on wheels that I raced mostly outside and did a lot of training on, too. I like to say that they're racing tires that are durable enough to train on, or training tires that are good enough to race on.
Old 03-17-18, 07:31 AM
Baby Puke

Yeah, they were a ***** tp put on, but they were very durable. They seemed like a great tire for a concrete track, but the one time I rode them in LA I couldn't hang with my (very slow) warm up group- they were too slow and I was slipping every corner. Had to go faster. Next time I came down I rode my whatever clincher training wheels and no slippage. I was pretty surprised. Did the usual prep (scotch write + alcohol) pre ride.
Old 08-27-18, 11:11 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Huh. I didn't. but it's been a while, and I also know that Conti tinkers with their tires' formula/construction a lot.
More than I realized. I saw the recommendation above for Conti Tempos and was surprised so I looked them up. I had some back 2005-ish that were grey rubber that felt plastic-ish and was pretty slippery. I think I used one and sold the couple I others I had to someone else who was more of a pursuiter. They were super slippery and bad at low speed. The current Tempos seem to be the black chili and apparently stickier (based on your comment - I haven't used them). I put on Stehers a few times in the 2005-2010 years and they were super sticky- I could ride relief with them slower than almost anybody. Odd, but I suppose not surprising that they changed the compound. The EVO Pistas are great on the Carson track but they do wear out fast.

(Reviving an oldish thread because I was doing my couple times a year browse of this forum and thought it worthwhile to comment, since there are older tire threads about the same tires...)
Old 02-23-19, 03:03 PM
fastkad

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Yeah, they were a ***** tp put on, but they were very durable. They seemed like a great tire for a concrete track, but the one time I rode them in LA I couldn't hang with my (very slow) warm up group- they were too slow and I was slipping every corner. Had to go faster. Next time I came down I rode my whatever clincher training wheels and no slippage. I was pretty surprised. Did the usual prep (scotch write + alcohol) pre ride.
My training wheels have Conti S4000 clincher tires. No huge issues on wood or conrete but not that fast either.

For racing Vittoria Evo CL/CS (or their successors) are tried and true.
Old 03-20-19, 04:32 PM
joe19582001

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great

Originally Posted by brawlo
On boards, anything rubber will do, just stay away from coloured rubber with silicon that kills the grip factor. Here in Oz, everyone trains on cheap rubber clinchers of personal choice.

For racing, the ultra smooth surface allows for super high pressures and light tyre choices. Coninental and Vittoria are very popular brands. Go with what you can find and what you like
thanks nice tips
Old 08-12-19, 05:20 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
So, I'm an idot and rode a front wheel meant for indoor pre-mounted with a Vittoria Evo at the SD paved track, and got a puncture of course. My rear disc has a Conti Stayer, and I was thinking of just matching up the front to that...but any reason to pick a different tire?

I will only use this front tubular for races (SD paved, and LA wood), I'll use Ellipse wheels and outdoor tires for training in SD ongoing. So ideally, if I could pick a tire that grips well at varying speeds on the wood (slow sometimes) and carries speed well, and can also be used occasionally on the paved track for races, that would be ideal.

I'm asking too much, right? A tire that grips well going slow on the wood, is also fast, is durable...why don't I just ask for something that hovers?!

Last edited by Super D; 08-12-19 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Clarifying that I plant to use the wheel for racing on both paved and wooden surfaces.
Old 08-12-19, 08:13 PM
Baby Puke

Generally you can use a lighter tire on the front. I've been using a Vittoria Pista Speed on the front and a regular Pista on the back, but Japanese outdoor tracks are very clean and well maintained. I don't warm up on these wheels, and my regular training wheels have Conti Sprinters on them.
Old 08-12-19, 09:30 PM
Super D

Generally you can use a lighter tire on the front. I've been using a Vittoria Pista Speed on the front and a regular Pista on the back, but Japanese outdoor tracks are very clean and well maintained. I don't warm up on these wheels, and my regular training wheels have Conti Sprinters on them.
I think if I'm using the front on both paved and wooden surfaces (for racing only), I'd better not go for too light of a tire on the next one. The paved track has some infield vegetation, and it's somewhat windy many afternoons, so the track surface isn't always perfectly clean.

In light of that, I should be a little conservative and try to go for something a little more durable than a tire made for perfect conditions. I'll give up some speed when on the wood, but if I can run the same wheel/tire on both surfaces for races, it'd be more affordable, which is a plus I think.
Old 08-12-19, 09:38 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Super D
I'll give up some speed when on the wood, but if I can run the same wheel/tire on both surfaces for races, it'd be more affordable, which is a plus I think.
Regular Pista for the front, Pista Control for the back? I'm a fan of the new gen Vittorias.
Old 08-12-19, 10:03 PM
Super D

Regular Pista for the front, Pista Control for the back? I'm a fan of the new gen Vittorias.
I've been looking at them, thanks for the reminder. Noticed the Control description makes mention of toughness for outdoor tracks. I know it's not optimal for speed, but I might go that direction, just for the durability/versatility. If they're slightly slower than the lighter version, I'll just have to pedal harder.
Old 08-19-19, 11:45 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Vittoria Pista Speed on Carson. It is very fast, and you can also go very slow as well. I have a friend that uses Sonderklass and likes them. I stopped using them because they were inconsistent in quality. I stopped using Steher's on Carson because they are way heavy, and not needed on the wood.

John